Makeshift practice kit

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I live in an apartment so real drums are something of a no-no. I used to have a kit set up with mufflers on it but I don't even have room for that any more. So I figured I could set up a very rudimentary (no pun intended) practice kit. I use a Real Feel pad on a snare stand, a hi-hat with mufflers on, a flat ride with a muffler and an old Remo practice pad set up vertically as a bass drum pad. I used a Tama clamp with an old stacker with 6mm threads that fit the Remo pad. Stuff I had lying around so the system cost me nothing. Bonus!

It's a bare-bones setup but it's great for practicing jazz independence, linear ideas, double bass and just plain grooving. Here are some photos. I have Count Dooku and Darth Vader there to motivate me (yes, I'm a nerd).

img5145n.jpg

img5142nx.jpg

img5144e.jpg

Ingenuity strikes again. Cool.​

Thanks! I was sitting there at work wondering how I could set up a bass drum pad. I was like, "Lets see, oh yeah I have that old Remo pad! How can I set that up as a bass drum? Oh that stacker that I never used should fit in that Tama clamp that I haven't used in over a decade should work!"

Bingo!

Indeed, if you have the space ... never throw away drum gear (except for the broken stuff). I've been able to modify, trade, and sell so many pieces over the years.​

Dude, tell me about it. I once threw away a double pedal I thought was broken but thinking back I'm pretty sure it was just a loose allen screw. I could kick myself a million times! Stupid me.

Awesome practice kit. I've found playing on practice pads set up like yours helps me stay focused with practicing and coming up with new ideas. In contrast, I drift from my lessons when on the acoustic set. I end up playing grooves i've done many times before just because it's really fun!

Thanks! Yes it is somewhat less distracting. But I still find myself having to focus on the task at hand. I am very prone to getting distracted. I have to work hard to concentrate. I also tend to be lazy so getting motivated to stick to a routine is hard for me. I'm working on it!

Back