New "Falcon" Pedal by Mapex

$650 MSRP for a chain-drive? Seems really pricey. The only thing I find interesting on these pedals is the hood clamp and beaters. Maybe when they come out in stores I'll give them a try, but for now my iron cobras will stay on my kit.

I had and continue to have problems with my Mapex Janus pedal, which was pretty much a marketing failure and used inferior metals and parts. Needless to say, i'm tentative to use another Mapex pro-level pedal. Unfortunately its hard to test on the long-term without buying the pedal. ALL of the problems with my Janus pedal happened after a few months, one by one, almost every threaded hole on the pedal would strip out. Lets hope they improved their pedal game with the Falcon. It is pricey for something that doesn't seem very ground-braking or different from any normal chain-drive pedal out there. The rim clamp mechanism looks almost identical to the one on the Janus. I'm not too impressed. Sell the beaters separately Mapex, and we'll talk.

I had and continue to have problems with my Mapex Janus pedal, which was pretty much a marketing failure and used inferior metals and parts. Needless to say, i'm tentative to use another Mapex pro-level pedal. Unfortunately its hard to test on the long-term without buying the pedal. ALL of the problems with my Janus pedal happened after a few months, one by one, almost every threaded hole on the pedal would strip out. Lets hope they improved their pedal game with the Falcon. It is pricey for something that doesn't seem very ground-braking or different from any normal chain-drive pedal out there. The rim clamp mechanism looks almost identical to the one on the Janus. I'm not too impressed. Sell the beaters separately Mapex, and we'll talk.

Janus was a major bomb. Looks like Mapex tried to fix everything that was wrong with Janus here.

Sculpted footboard? You'll either love it or hate it, but its there. Hollow drive shaft is interesting. Over priced.

Agree.... the beaters will out sell the pedal if offered separately.

well bare in mind that $650 msrp translates into $325 in the stores, but i have iron cobras with no real plans to trade them out so it doesn't really matter to me much....

well bare in mind that $650 msrp translates into $325 in the stores, but i have iron cobras with no real plans to trade them out so it doesn't really matter to me much....

So do I, but the sound of a lighter pedal than the Cobras, which are a bit on the heavy side and a bit more compact setup (I'm 5'3".... compact is DEFINITELY a major plus for me) and the independent adjustments between the footboard and beater angle that the Cobra seems to have linked sound like it's at leas worth trying at a store somewhere.

The beaters do seem pretty similar to the Cobra beaters though, so I'm not sure it'll be all that earth shattering in sales if they do decide to sell them separately....

If these get in anywhere near me (which I doubt), I'll try them out for sure.

That's true, but if I'm gonna buy another chain-drive in the future (which I probably wont, I REALLY wanna get the trick pedals and maybe the new yamaha direct-link), I'll get some DW's. I heard they're really nice, and from what I've heard, mapex's past pedals have been terrible. I don't know, we'll see...

So do I, but the sound of a lighter pedal than the Cobras, which are a bit on the heavy side and a bit more compact setup (I'm 5'3".... compact is DEFINITELY a major plus for me) and the independent adjustments between the footboard and beater angle that the Cobra seems to have linked sound like it's at leas worth trying at a store somewhere.

The beaters do seem pretty similar to the Cobra beaters though, so I'm not sure it'll be all that earth shattering in sales if they do decide to sell them separately....

If these get in anywhere near me (which I doubt), I'll try them out for sure.

i'll probably give them a try if i see them somewhere just out of curiosity but i am pretty happy with the pedals i have. it would be cool if somebody came out with a pedal that you could make it anyway you wanted, chains and direct drive attachments, several different cams, converts from 2 singles to a double, long and short boards, left/right/center beater placements. all that fancy stuff, that would spark a ton of interest i bet....

i'll probably give them a try if i see them somewhere just out of curiosity but i am pretty happy with the pedals i have. it would be cool if somebody came out with a pedal that you could make it anyway you wanted, chains and direct drive attachments, several different cams, converts from 2 singles to a double, long and short boards, left/right/center beater placements. all that fancy stuff, that would spark a ton of interest i bet....

That would be great, but probably extremely expensive. I wish I could convert my cobras to direct link...

i'll give it a try but i really love my ludwig speed king it's the best one i've used

you know...i haven't used a Speed King since the early 70's. one of these days i'll get around to buying another one just for the hell of it. :)

I went to a Dom's drum clinic one day and he was using this pedal and I took a picture of it. I try it myself as you can see.

Personnally, I wasn't impressed that much. I mean, it felt like a damn good pedal, but when I heard it was $650... I found it really pricey. I should say I try it no longer than 5 minutes, so my opinion didn't mean a lot if you want.

Attachments

• Photo 002.jpg
    Photo 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4,142
  • Photo 005.jpg
    Photo 005.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 3,284
  • Photo 013.jpg
    Photo 013.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3,316
A couple of days ago I went into a store to check it out - and now I'm going to buy one, even though I can't afford it.

A friend of mine and me spent more than an hour with the double pedal version, changing all the settings, weighing the beaters and everything, and we couldn't find the slightest weakness (except for the screws that hold the beater weights) on this fine piece of gear.

The action can be compared to a DW 9000 though the Falcon may offer even more options to set it up according to each drummers individual needs. The difference between the master and the slave is minimal.

Concerning one feature I would go as far as calling it the best pedal on the market: Beater positioning. You can set up the beaters equidistantly from the center of the head, and very close to each other, so that they almost touch.

It's the PERFECT pedal for me, and I can only recommend to check it out.

Mapex Falcon Double Bass Drum Pedal
Read 1 Review

$389.00
MSRP: $649.00 Savings: $260.00(40%)

Finance Now for $39/mo.

MUSICIANS FRIEND

If MF has them GC will have them since they are the same conglomerate.

Back