The legendary Steve Gadd

Re: So, what is it with Steve Gadd

So, I have recently been watching some of Steve Gadd's performances and I can't for the life of me see why he is considered one of the best drummers of all time. I mean to be compared to people like Vinnie, Jojo Mayer and many more seems to be ridiculous to be me.

For example, I saw a performance of Vinnie, Dave Weckl, and Steve Gadd playing together, and he seemed to be totally outclassed by the others.

Is there something i'm missing? Or maybe I am unable to appreciate his drumming.

Vinnie is a king of chops and speed but man Gadd has the groove in that video. My favourite part is and always will be where Gadd brings the groove in i feel it so much. Not really a listener of his playing but i appreciate it most definately.

JT1- Please, please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,please, please,..dont take this thread anywhere near the GROOVE v/s CHOPS cliff edge.

Steve Gadd has all the chops & all the groove he needs. He has played on more albums than Vinnie & Dave put together, ( please feel free to add a few more names of world class drummers here, and he'd still be more.. ), and thats the proof of the pudding, period. In eating it.

Playing music has never been a comparative analysis of certain body parts, its about how effectively they are used. If that were true, the entire world would collectively bow to Thomas Lang and not to Ringo Starr.

In the video with Vinnie and Dave, notice how in the first lot of solos Gadd just lays down a really solid Crazy Army groove. Not as technically impressive as the other two but it grooves really well. It might take a while to appriciate it, but after some more listening I'm sure you'll get it.

There are certain imitable features to Steve's playing and as others have cited he has influenced many players.

I think the most enjoyable aspect is the Gadd lilt. When you listen to his playing a placement of the notes that is unique.

Another thing is that Gadd was one of a handful of players who actually started to write drum grooves that were not only innovative but became an irreplaceable part of the song. When you look at a tune like Paul Simon's 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover or Late in the Evening, you can't imagine those tunes without Gadd's drum part. His work with Al Jarreau as well as the sambas he plays on Chick Corea's Friends are also first class. . He does this while at the same time playing very drummistic patters: with rudiments and Stone stickings.

Gadd plays in a way that inspires the others around him through his infectious groove and musical attitude towards playing. Regardless of what any one thinks about his playing, you don't become the most recorded drumming in history without doing something right.

Is there something i'm missing? Or maybe I am unable to appreciate his drumming.

One word my friend: "Feel" and with an arsenal of chops. I don't know how old you are but
as your drumming matures you'll appreciate Gadd's talent.

So, I have recently been watching some of Steve Gadd's performances and I can't for the life of me see why he is considered one of the best drummers of all time. I mean to be compared to people like Vinnie, Jojo Mayer and many more seems to be ridiculous to be me.

I just have to laugh. That's all... I'm out on this one.

Gadd is one of those guys you can sit and watch...and be instantly humbled at how great he makes the instrument sound. He could play a "money beat" and make you feel like you just picked up the sticks yesterday. It's that instantly recognizable mojo that the great drummers have.

From Tiger Bill Reviews
American Drummers Achievement Awards Honoring Steve Gadd
: -

According to Steve's long time friend, bass player Anthony Jackson, Steve's approach to each recording session is unique among drummers.

Steve doesn't simply add a drum part, he literally orchestrates one for every song he records.

At one point Vinnie Colaiuta, no lightweight himself, proclaims Steve "One of the most important drummers who ever lived."

Last edited:

For example, I saw a performance of Vinnie, Dave Weckl, and Steve Gadd playing together, and he seemed to be totally outclassed by the others.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thought Gadd blew the other two out of the water. Vinnie seemed to just play single stoke rolls for most of the solo and that got really old for me. Weckl lacks soul and seems too mechanical.

Gadd played in the pocket and whenever I hear that drum battle I can't sit still when Gadds playing. Vinnies never done much for me.

That said the much talked about 50 ways geoove left me shaking my head when I first heard it. I thought it was kinda silly.

YMMV

This is really funny. I was talking to a bass player freind about this clip a year ago, and we thought Steve was the clear "winner" (ugh, need a better word) because he just layed down the fattest groove. It kind of speaks to the new era, where the drum stars are creating their own context-either as a soloist or with a "gospel chops" vamp going on- as opposed to the studio stars of yesterday, who made their name playing in a band or sideman context.

I'd say you're missing context.

When looking back at a great, you have to consider where they were at the time and not compare them to who else is around now.

Much like football players of the 60's and 70's, the greatest back then seem average now because the "chops" bar has been raised so much higher.

When Gadd was at the highest point of his recording career and wowing people with solos that got him the reputation of greatest drummer, Weckl was still in Jr High school. Jojo Mayer had never been heard of. Vinnie was just getting started.

Weckl and Vinnie, among others, were very influenced by Gadd. Gadd was doing what they are doing before they were doing it.

So it's no surprise they took what Gadd did and improved upon it to the point that looking at them NOW, it appears Gadd is not quite on the same level.

Just because the student might surpassed the teacher doesn't mean the teacher is no longer deserving his credit.

There are 100's of drummer debates like this where one guy was innovate, but someone else took it to a new level. But the guy at the new level wouldn't be there without the predecessor.

I was never into Gadd when I was younger. I didn't much get it either. But as I've gotten older, I've been able to appreciate where he was coming from more, and appreciate what he does. I'd kill to have his feel and sense of groove.

Last edited:

All I can say is look at this discography

http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm

To me this says it all. The diversity of the artists that Steve Gadd has worked with is off the charts. And we're not talking being hired to perform here, that's a side-bar. Gadd is hired to make music and stamp it in stone when the record button is pressed.

I would take Gadd's infinite musical wisdom, innovation, incredible grooves and sublime sense of rhythm over any amount of chops, any day of the week. When I hear Gadd play, I am hearing is a living, breathing rhythmic GPS device that knows where a song a going and how it's going to end. Yet at the same rate he is incredibly present and musically in the moment.

All of this is no knock on Vinnie or Dave. They are fantastic drummers, & I am sure they would be the first to tell anyone that what Steve Gadd has and what he has done is what matters most.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. I hope you get it; but you may never get it. That's fine. I'm glad I got it. Because I didn't always get it. But since I got it, I want more of it.

Last edited:

Nah, the bar for what Steve has achieved hasn't moved an inch. How do you improve on the biggest, phattest, most inviting groove that begs everyone to come in and feel its embrace?

I had a feeling you'd find a way to say it, perfectly.

Back