Saturns With New Gong

JimboJim

Wanted to post some updated pics of my kit. Picked up the gong on Craigslist a few weeks bad and just finished building the stand.

Mapex Saturn - 22/10/12/14/16
Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlin Snare
DW All-Maple Snare

Cymbals
14" Paragon Hats
20" K Custom Dry Ride
22" HH Power Bell Ride
16" Paragon Crash
18" Paragon Crash
18" Armand Crash
10" Paragon Splash
19" Paragn Chineese
36" ??? Gong

101_1587.jpg

101_1588.jpg

101_1589.jpg

101_1594.jpg

101_1595.jpg

101_1596.jpg

101_1591.jpg

101_1592.jpg

101_1586.jpg

101_1590.jpg

Awesome kit! Looks great.
How do you reach that stick holder when you play?....lol
Cheers

Killer set! That power bell ride is one tasty cymbal, can't wait to own one myself. And the gong of course is a nice touch as well.

Nice set up you have there. I like the finish. how did you make the stand?

Love your front bass drum head! Where'd you get it??
I actually bought a used PDP kit a couple years back and the guy I bought it from had the done the reso head artwork over a black aquarian himself. I liked it, so when I got my Saturns, I switched out the front heads.

Nice set up you have there. I like the finish. how did you make the stand?
Thanks. I just bought some cedar 2x3s from Home Depot and cut them to make the 4 foot wide/high frame and put on the legs. At first it was really weak, so I had to go back and buy some flat smaller peices of wood to make the angled supports in the corner; made a huge difference. Between the cost of the wood and the paint, it ran me about $35.

Killer set! That power bell ride is one tasty cymbal, can't wait to own one myself. And the gong of course is a nice touch as well.
Thanks.

I actually find myself playing the K Custom far more often than the Power Bell. For loud, heavy rock it's a great cymbal, but it just feels a little overpowering for most of the stuff I play (alternative/rock). The bell is awesome though; no need for a Zil-Bell...

sharp looking black kit, a real mix of cymbal sounds and yes - a sweet gong! awsome set up man, enjoy!

Very nice kit and cymbals, even though I'm not a fan of plain black kits. How do you like the Jimmy Chamberlain snare?
Love the JC snare. It's very dry and responsive. The powder coated chrome finish really gives it a sound that's very distinct from a standard steel snare.

Nice kit and nice gong, Jim. I should get a gong like that so my audience can bang on it to get us to stop playing, hehe.

Love the JC snare. It's very dry and responsive. The powder coated chrome finish really gives it a sound that's very distinct from a standard steel snare.

Interesting, that's exactly how I would want my snare to be. I guess I'm gonna have to invest in one of these or a Black Panther Walnut.

Very nice kit. I like how the black/bronze color of the gong matches the black/bronze color of your drums/cymbals. I bet the gong sounds great, but I can't imagine that it gets incorporated into typical playing much. Seems like a whole lot of weight and space for the occasional goooooooonggggg! I think I might like to have one in the house or in the yard as a meditative instrument though. BTW, I have long lusted for one of those Jimmy Chamberlin snares. I love his snare sound.

BTW, I have long lusted for one of those Jimmy Chamberlin snares. I love his snare sound.

Now is the time to buy one. I paid $430 a little over a year ago. Guitar Center has decided they aren't going to stock them anymore, so they've got them going for something like $275.

Back