TD-3 or Yamaha DTX

x-pack

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here and really want your advice on which E kit to buy next.

I've just sold my first ever E kit which is a Roland HD1 and now i'm looking to upgrade. I liked the HD1 because it was great for the space I had and is ok to learn some basics on. Downside to it was the horrible kick pedal and the lack of additional kits. There were only two presets on that set up that I ever really used and, like I said, was never happy with the kick sound or function on either of them.

I still only need a fairly basic kit but would like more variation in sounds and the ability to fine tune personal kits/settings.

Sets i've looked at for my budget, which is around the £400 mark, include the Yamaha DTX 500 and the Roland HD3. I'm leaning more towards the HD3 because although it has less kits it does have the mesh head snare and the cymbals or choke-able, which they are not on the Yamaha.

Pros for the Yamaha appear to be the number of presets available and I think there are more additional functions in the module for various things.

However, i've seen a TD4, TD6 and then the TD9 and TD4KP which all look great. Only problem is the cost starts creeping up and then some don't come with a kick pedal or they are too far away to collect. It's all very confusing and i'm at the stage where I need someone to say 'you should get THAT kit..'

So please, can you help me decide?

Thanks guys

Re: Help! TD-3 or Yamaha DTX

Get a second-hand TD4 or maybe a 9 and add a decent kick pedal.

I think E-kits lose their value faster than A-kits, you should be able to find something at less than half the price of a new kit.

Vs Td3? Don't know, check the specs. I had a TD4KX all mesh, chokeable cymbals and I believe 24 kits. A good kit,musicradar rated it 5 stars, but it's not expandable like TD9.

FYI, according to this (http://faq.yamaha.com/au/en/article...40k/10117/6689/?current_page_id=1&sort=&type=) it seems the DTX 500 module is capable of chokeable cymbals, it's just that the particular cymbal pad you get with the DTX 500 kit doesn't support it. So, you could upgrade the cymbals, or go to a higher kit, e.g. DTX 520.

After investigating various options, I bought a new 562 last year that I like a lot. I realize that's probably a lot more than you have budgeted. For me, the Yamaha TCS pads made a big difference. I would strongly suggest you try a few kits before deciding. You may prefer TCS pads, you may prefer mesh pads, or you may prefer hard rubber pads. I think that preference is the most important part of choosing an e-kit. Followed closely by hi-hat and kick mechanics and chokeable cymbals. I personally don't put a lot of weight on module features because once you plug into a PC, it's almost all irrelevant, at least for home studio/recording.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. The latest one i've been looking at is the TD-9. All mesh head. More than enough kit sounds.

Problem with trying out kits is that most of these things i'm looking are older so not in shops. Also most of them are at least an hour away. Hard work really

Another thing i've noticed with these kits for sale is that half of them don't come with a kick pedal. Why? I have no idea

So you can add your favourite kind of pedal. Don't take the very cheapest one. Drumming is easier with a mid range pedal that is smoother, easier to adjust and does not fall apart at the worst possible moment.

Thanks for the advice guys. The latest one i've been looking at is the TD-9. All mesh head. More than enough kit sounds.

Problem with trying out kits is that most of these things i'm looking are older so not in shops. Also most of them are at least an hour away. Hard work really

Well i know it's old-fashioned but you can call them before you go to check what they have. One hour away... At least that will be one hour well spent! :)

Went for a TD9 in the end. Can anyone recommend a decent kick pedal at a reasonable budget?

It is a little late, but I would go for the dw2000! It is a very good price, but it is very good. I believe that dw makes some of the nicest kick pedals on the market

Back