Kit For a Band's Practice Space

Fracture

Hey guys,
I play in a Thrash/Melodeath/Black kind of Metal band and I want to get an electronic kit in the future for keeping at a bandmates house or apartment (depending on how things go).
Could anybody show me some good kits to look at? I can spend some money, I don't want a crappy kit but I'm not blowing all my money either.
And can you get two bass pads? I use two single Axis lonboard pedals. Thanks guys!

The major problem you'll get to if you're trying to re-create a big metal kit is with the cymbals. If you have spare cymbals, you could just get pads for the drums, and get around it that way. I don't know where you stand on stuff like that.

With that said, yes, you can certainly have two bass drum pads with no problem. I'm guessing by your post that you don't want to go for top of the line, but shooting for the middle. That takes Roland V-DRums out of play. After that you can look at regular Roland e-kits, Yamaha's offerings (like the DTX Express), and several others. With 2 kicks, and I'm guessing a few toms, you just want to make sure whatever drum brain you have has plenty of trigger inputs, and flexibility to use them how you want.

Here's another idea: Pick up something like an Alesis DMPro used on Ebay, buy up all the pads and hardware you need, and you can custom build your practice e-kit on the cheap. The DMPro and other drum brains like it were designed more with live playing in mind than anything. I own one, as well. It's quite a nice unit for its age.

Just some things to think about.

Back