Do you let "Big Names" dictate your drumming?

I remember that when I watched John Blackwell's DVD I was just slightly irritated
that he was name-dropping constantly, about everything he teaches in the DVD
is something he got shown by XY. Which is fine, and of course JB can play, but
when I watch a renowned drummer's dvd I want to hear and see their stuff.

Now I am sure this will get a few people going, but I have got to get this out. I am sick of hearing people use name dropping to justify a method or reasoning versus another. Too many times I have heard "Well Buddy Rich does it this way" or "Steve Gadd does this". I see it in the forums and all over the world of drumming and it is ANNOYING. My biggest problem is when snobby people do it in a way to belittle their opposition in a debate or conversation. You can drop a name....so what? Now I am not taking anything from the big names out there. They have incluenced many as well as the few that have influenced me, but that is not how you should justify or reason. The only way is to explain why you use your chosen method versus the couter-method, which you should have given a trial run before you can downgrade. That, is in a forum type establishment. Now I wonder, does it carry over into playing? Are people really allowing the names of others and their accomplishments dictate or be their reason? Being inspired is one thing, allowing yourself to believe their way is the only way is another. Now, those of you who want to try and twist my words, go for it. I just had to get that out and see if maybe someone else notices also. :)

Can I get an AMEN!!!

I agree 100 percent

We are all different and all have our own ways. What works for someone may not for someone else . It is all part of the journey to make yourself the best you can be. To do my own name dropping Neil Peart wrote " the point of the journey, is not to arrive " . It is the actual doing of the thing we call drumming. You must find your own way, and what works for you. To name drop again, Buddy Rich said " a good musician is a thief, a great musician doesn't get caught ". Be inspired by someone elses music, fills, groove, set up. etc. Then take what you like and make it your own.

as Ralph Peterson says...."you must first imitate , then assimilate what you imitate in order to arrive at innovation."

This, to me would be the definition of influence. We all have them but unless we incorporate, assimilate etc....we are copying, repeating and covering.

Back