Yamaha DTX500X...???

GThg3zx

Hello! I recently sold my ION 5-piece electronic drum set and now looking to put the money towards a more professional, quality sound set. I've been doing some research and feel like the Yamaha DTX500X would be my best bet. It's in my price range and I haven't seen any other options... I'd really appreciate any comments on this Yamaha set, and if any, other electronic drum sets to consider before buying.

Thanks so much!!!

Jim

You should check out the Roland TD-4K2. I've seen them go on ebay for $560, and that would be way better than the yamaha. You could also check out the Roland TD-3, which is probably more comparable to the yamaha, but you can get them for cheap. I got a used one at Guitar Center for $350, but then sold it for $550, and that's usually about the price range they go for. If you can actually go try out a Yamaha and a Roland that'd be good to see which one feels better to you.

The guy states he would like a Yamaha but you decide he would be better with a Roland??? How does that work?

I concur that the Roland probably is the better kit, but you need to go play both and see how you feel about each one, both have good and bad points...

I speak from experience, you mentioned you had an ion and are now looking at yamaha (or Roland) you will be blown away by the quality of the higher end kits- It is a massive jump from the Ion quality to the build quality of either Yamaha or Roland

I dont think you will be disappointed by either companies offerings

The yamaha is great but it really matters what pads you're buying with them. The low end ones they make are not good at all but their dtx pads are my favorite. I like them better than anything that roland makes. Of course, that's subjective. The roland ones are too bouncy for me. I bought a yamaha and haven't regretted it at all. My friend has a roland and I don't care for it much. My local guitar center has multiple demo models set up that you can play, maybe you could go to a local music shop and try them both out and see what you like?

There are really way to damn many Roland fan boys on this site. If you want Yamaha, don't let anyone sway you. The add on parts (for later on down the road) are half the price and twice the quality of Roland and the module itself (4 extra pads capability) is worth buying the 500.

Honestly though, if you have a couple extra bucks in your wallet, you really really should consider the 520K. The 500 gives you a regular pad for the hi-hat which just seems odd, not to mention the 520 has the textured silicone snare (worth the extra money all by itself). Personally I own a DTX535K I got from Kraft music and I wouldn't trade it for any Roland kit on the market. I've got it set with as a 7 piece kit with 4 cymbals AND I LOVE IT!

Anymore questions? Just ask!
Defender

If you want Yamaha, go for it. Yamaha and Roland both have their fans, and they both make good stuff. I have multipads from each company, and a Yamaha module, and like them all.

Back