THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Hi
I'm a newby. Sorry about that. I have a Ludwig snare mid 60's with a serial # 85729. Looking at Ludwigs serial guide - I can't see where this fits in. Can anyone help. I would like to identify this snare as being an acrolite or supaphonic. I bought this from a school dept here in Maine in 1972. Used it with my Gretsch Aqua satin flame kit in Jazz Band. Please help me if you can.

Thanks man!

Hey folks, I've looked everywhere and still can't seem to find an answer. I have in my possession what I believe to be a Sonor D-444. The stamp on the inside leads me to believe it was made in 1968. Other than that I have no idea about this snare. I don't know what its made of or where I can get a new strainer for it. (The original was gone and replaced before I bought it.) I've since replaced the old mismatched slotted lugs for square heads, but I'd like to go back to a matching set of slotted. I can't find that this snare was ever made of brass, but a magnet won't stick to the shell. Help?

(Sorry, having trouble figuring out how to upload pictures.)

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

pearl maple free floating sanre with 42 strand snare wire.
snare.jpg

Just curious. How do you like the "Free floating" and what does this exactly mean?

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Just curious. How do you like the "Free floating" and what does this exactly mean?

Here is mine. This is a 14x8 stave shell in a free floating chassis for a 14x6.5 snare.

Free floating means that no hardware is attached to the shell. If you remove the batter head, the whole shell comes out. The neat thing, with a snare like this, you can swap between different shells and different shell depths provided you have the correct length tension rods.

Last edited:
What do you drummers think about whether the original snares are an actual part of a vintage drum or not? Would you change the original snares of a vintage snare drum to modern snares?

PDP Limited Edition 7.5" Chinese built snare with DW hardware and throw, copper snares:

p1121673707-4.jpg

Last edited:
My current goto big gig snare a brass (solid shell) 14x6 made by Greg Keplinger. Heavy weight, very musical snare. A very simple design, no frills no gadgets but a ton of sound.

Last edited:
Adjustable But Side.

Hi I picked up a snare and not only can you adjust the throw side but the but side also has an adjustable thumb screw? All my years of playing I never saw this? What would be the advantage / purpose of this feature. Even tension on both sides of snare wires, or better sensitivity?

Ludwig Black Magic 14x8 came in yesterday. Just now put a evans black hydraulic head on today, sound is amazing.

Attachments

• DSCN3890.JPG
    DSCN3890.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 985
My 1 year old metro stave snare is 14 x 6.5" made in Queensland
Its got the power , but also the sensitivity !!

Attachments

• my drum.jpg
    my drum.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 947
A mess of people here love the Ludwig Acrolite (mostly 'cuz of its cost), but being a Tama fanboy I opted for the Starphonic Aluminum. This thing has blown my mind with its punch and crispiness. Even the guitarist I play with (a Berklee grad) noticed its fat punch and clarity when he heard it for the fist time. Mostly, I appreciate the hardware for faster snare head tuning, head changes, and the ratchet style tension strainer.

Glad this thread was revived. This is the first time I've seen the Tama Starphonic Aluminum snare, and I am impressed. I love the looks of the lugs and the hoops, especially. My accolades are about a year late, but thanks for posting pics of the Starphonic.

GeeDeeEmm

1960 Super 400 COB, Copperphonic Custom, 80's Hammered Bronze, 1959 Trans Badge Super 400 COB. 20's Solid Mahogany Super. just need a BB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have much experience with walnut or walnut hybrid snare drums?
I'm looking for that woody Levon Helm sound you hear on those early records he made with The Band.

Anyone have much experience with walnut or walnut hybrid snare drums?
I'm looking for that woody Levon Helm sound you hear on those early records he made with The Band.

My main snare is a Mapex Saturn walnut/maple/walnut 6.5x14"
I find this drum to be very woody and dry(ish). Not being sure of the exact sound you are looking for, I would recommend getting out to your lds and smak a few. I will say that my Saturn snare is fantastic!

My main snare is a Mapex Saturn walnut/maple/walnut 6.5x14"
I find this drum to be very woody and dry(ish). Not being sure of the exact sound you are looking for, I would recommend getting out to your lds and smak a few. I will say that my Saturn snare is fantastic!

Hey thanks.
I actually tried a Used Saturn snare in a local drum store last Friday. I agree, it has a dry, woody tone, fantastic!
That one was 5" x 14", and it sounded fantastic, and it made me wonder how it would compare to a pure walnut snare like the Mapex Retrosonic.
Really it comes down to:
Is the walnut/maple/walnut what I am looking for, or would I prefer a pure walnut Mapex, is pure walnut too much of a good thing......?
Thanks for the advice, like you said, I have to get out there and play a few more. I found one store 1-1/2 hours away that has a pure walnut Mapex, the Retrosonic.
When I get a spare weekend I'll have to get out there and try it.

Last edited:
Monday I finally was able to purchase one of my dream snares. A 1976 LM402 in beautiful condition! Simply cannot wait for it to arrive!!

Monday I finally was able to purchase one of my dream snares. A 1976 LM402 in beautiful condition! Simply cannot wait for it to arrive!!

Nice!
You're going to love it!

I have a late 70's 14" X 6-1/2" Ludwig Super Sensiitve snare.
Same shell, just a different strainer assembly.
It's great sounding drum.
I use a coated Emperor batter head.

Back