Double Pedal Selection

DrumDrum1

Hi everyone. I've been playing drums for a while and have developed a really great single foot. I've tinkered with double pedals in the past but always felt like i was sacrificing my single foot for the double because the main pedal of the double never felt as fast or "good" as on the single pedal. Any one else experience this? Has anyone found a double pedal that felt like their single?

Re: Double bass pedal selection help

The feel of the main pedal, provided it's the same as your current single pedal, should not feel any different unless you've made adjustments to the pedal. The slave pedal is usually the one that most say doesn't feel the same.

I've owned two DW 5000 double pedals and the main pedal never felt any different than a traditional single pedal version.

I try to get my pedal tension as equal as possible, but my left foot just isn't as strong as my right. I've been practicing, and it's getting there, but I don't believe your second foot will be anywhere near your main base foot for a while.

It's just takes some practice and getting used to.

All the top ones are great. It all comes down to feel. Go and try them out. A direct drive, like the Demon drive will feel different from a chain driven DW 5000. I have 5000's, and my next pedals will be Mapex Falcons. Beautiful pedals at a great price. You can also make them direct drive, strap drive, and chain drive.

I've been playing Pearl Powershifter Eliminator double pedals for 20 years. I was thinking of upgrading to Axis AL-2 Longboards, but I'm getting the feeling these are purely for speed metal. Anyone use these for regular rock, funk, etc.?

I would like to add this observation to the discussion.

I played the same Slingerland drum set from 1963 at age 13 to 2013 at age 63. I used a Martin-Fleetfoot Pedal like this one.

MartinFleetfootPedal-vi.jpg

Then in 2013 I purchased a used DW 5000 pedal. It had a turbo sprocket like the one in the center of this picture.

pedal-vi.jpg

I did not like the feel of this new pedal. And I gave it a try for a few months just in case I needed to get used to a new pedal. After all I was trying to break a 50 year old habit.

Then I realized that the DW sprocket on the left the “accelerator sprocket” matched the style (angle) of sprocket that I had been playing for so many years. My old pedal worked more like the DW sprocket pictured on the right.

So, I purchased an accelerator sprocket like the one on the left. And BINGO !........ My new DW pedal felt like home again. ( I guess my foot does not like the turbo sprocket. )

I've been playing Pearl Powershifter Eliminator double pedals for 20 years. I was thinking of upgrading to Axis AL-2 Longboards, but I'm getting the feeling these are purely for speed metal. Anyone use these for regular rock, funk, etc.?

Any pedal can be used for any type of music. The pedal doesn't dtermine what you use it for you do.
Bottom line of you like how it feels and it works for you use it regardless if you play jazz or death metal ;-)

I stared playing the Iron Cobra: Power Glides recently and I must say that pedal defines an 'IRON' Cobra. The Heavy sting on the bass drum and the controllable speed it gives is just beyond amazing. This is worth DYING for.

Yes, I'm here just to say this. By far the best pedal I've played and I highly recommend this for fast players.

This is worth DYING for.

Woaahh! Arretez! Material possessions are not a good reason to sacrifice oneself. Just saying.

I agree that Iron Cobras rock though. Great design that has withstood the test of time. That rhymes.

I have got the Axis a2 shortboards and mainly play metal, but they work perfectly for other genres as well. They will take some time getting used to if you have played chain pedals before, but I will definitely recommend you at least check out axis pedal. They are just superb for any sort of music. Maybe not jazz unless you change the beaters to some softer ones.

Back