Are those good songs for a beginner ?

Whatever method you use, the goal should ALWAYS be (I'm quoting Tommy Igoe here) to play simple things very well.
You get zero points for playing complicated stuff poorly. Nobody's interested to hear that.
Once you play something very well you can gradually increase the difficulty.

I guess we all said the same thing ten times in a row :)

bast1981: There are many songs that exist that are very easy to play the drums to. Some of them were mentioned here.
CCR songs are some easy ones. Like this one: https://youtu.be/5BmEGm-mraE

I wish I could be there to provide you with a good start. It pains my heart that I'm not with you to help you on your journey.

Play what songs you know and like, ones that make you air drum.

That way you're halfway there before you learn to play them properly.

I recommend Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (just ignore the intro at the mo but the rest is pretty straight on with a few nice easy tom fills)

I wish I could be there to provide you with a good start. It pains my heart that I'm not with you to help you on your journey.

Man does that resonate! Don't undervalue your service, Mr Jim - even if the zeros and ones of our digital communications are our only offering - they are today's reach out and touch someone ... (barf) er, excuse me.

Shine by Collective Soul is one drummer's offering that i place at the top of my 'every drummer should learn each and every note' groove. Is there such a thing as a 'perfect' drum take? This could be it in my mind.

bast1981 - do not neglect slow songs - slow tempos can be more difficult than fast ones in many instances ... and where exact alignment is easiest to discern. Crank "Shine" and make the drums disappear by being right on top of whats recorded.

My rise and, well, wake up song to start my day.

I think one of the hardest things to do when it comes to playing any instrument is just getting started. I commend you on taking the big leap into this! It's difficult, and the beginning is the most nerve wracking. Keep it up! It will pay off.

AC/DC is a great band to learn. Heck, don't even worry about the fills. Just play the basic beats along with the song. If you are having a hard time hearing the music, I'd get a set of in-ear monitors or noise-cancelling headphones and plug into your phone or listening device and play along. Maybe start with "Back in Black" or songs of that ilk. Concentrate on playing steady and confident, then move on from there.

I'd drop that teacher like he was last week. After two weeks, you should be able to save your money and get some decent headphones.

I suggest getting hold of a book called "La batterie intégrale" by Daniel Pichon. Should be available on amazon.fr. It's a fantastic book in any language - really comprehensive, with diagrams, explanations and a CD. A lot of it will be way too difficult right now, but there are easy things in it too, and it's an excellent general education.

Great trolling, Bast1981 !

Very entertaining. Well done!

Yeah, after this thread broke my heart and I wished so much that I could help him; today I started thinking the same thing as you.
But I'm still not sure what to think.

Yeah, after this thread broke my heart and I wished so much that I could help him; today I started thinking the same thing as you.
But I'm still not sure what to think.
Doesn't matter either way. You gave an honest and genuine response. If this fella is on the level, then great. If not, then someone else will take advantage of your advice of CCR songs for beginners.

I clearly don't know what "trolling" is, because I thought it was getting people riled up or agitated on the Internet with ridiculous posts, but there's no evidence of discord here. Ho hum.

Doesn't matter either way. You gave an honest and genuine response. If this fella is on the level, then great. If not, then someone else will take advantage of your advice of CCR songs for beginners.

I clearly don't know what "trolling" is, because I thought it was getting people riled up or agitated on the Internet with ridiculous posts, but there's no evidence of discord here. Ho hum.

Yes, you are correct! When I see someone starting out playing the drums I very much want to help them start out the right way. I guess I'm a sucker for that. If I'm not careful, I'll be spending all of my time giving free drum lessons. I just feel like I have an obligation to share my God given talent with others. I'm only now, after playing for 65 years, starting to make a little pocket money playing drums.

Great trolling, Bast1981 !

Very entertaining. Well done!

I just looked at the first video of the teacher now which isn't exactly up to snuff. The video I originally responded to was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0FWRUl1y0&feature=youtu.be

I'm beginning to have my doubts as well on the trolling theory when looking at the above video again. Nobody is that bad. I've had people sit behind my drums who have never, ever played before and after I showed them a few basic things, they sounded better.

Actually I have done some digging and this seems genuine. The youtube channel and description matches the OP plus it was uploaded this week.

I fear that someone, or both of them, may have some sort of issues though if you get my drift so we should probably tread carefully. At the very least that teacher, who clearly has never played drums before, probably needs checking out as I wouldn't trust him with anything let alone a drum kit.

Get yourself a real drum teacher man.

There are plenty of schools out there with qualified teachers. If you want to pay less and are flexible with your hours, you can always post an add that you are looking for a drum teacher, at a local university.

Don't mess around with that, proper technique, basics, are the fundamentals on which you will learn to play. By observing that video, your "teacher" is nowhere near the mastery of his instrument. No matter if he's never heard the song, or if he's fooling around. Posture, technique, fluidity, feel, those things don't lie.

Back