Rack tom on snare stand

Make sure its just resting, not clamped super tight, that might help. Also, i dont know if they work well but you might look at one of the "higher end" snare stands that is supposed to increase tone, sounds like advertising to me though. Maybe tune your bottom head up a little more to compensate for the stand, that might be an easy solution

I don't notice much of a tone loss, but for those that do, I've heard of people putting foam pieces under the feet of the stand itself. Keeps the vibrations on the floor from shaking up the stand, counter acting the resonance or something to that effect. But I definitely agree with making sure the basket isn't tight, and any snare stand with air pockets in the grabbers should help as well.

Well, Bonham kinda made that look popular, though he didn't invent it. His Thermogloss kit, he tried to hang his tom off his kick, using a Rogers swivo mount. Didn't work so well. So, back to the snare stand he went, but the swivo stayed, as well.​
With the advent of new hardware being much stronger than the Rogers swivo (the swivo was the best, in its day), you could very well run your tom off a tom holder, and just throw a snare stand under the drum, for looks.​
I've run toms off snare stands, for, 25 - 30 years. With 7 kits currently in my stable, not all toms react the same way, to being put on a snare stand. One thing you might be doing, is way over-tightening the snare basket. You might find too tight a grip is choking the drum. It's gotta be firm (enough to hold the drum) ... but it doesn't need to be a death grip tight.​
And then again, some drums just don't like to be on snare stands.​

Attachments

• 36595d1182311512-john-bonham-pics-bonham-studio-ii.jpg
    36595d1182311512-john-bonham-pics-bonham-studio-ii.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 14,207
  • JohnBonham.jpg
    JohnBonham.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 14,129
Check out the flex frame from gauger percussion.

Man, that's gotta be fairly new? That looks like it would work, for sure. And I'll need three. A 12, a 13, and a 14 ... sole-mio, whats another $150 .... cool item, good call, Edvia.​

That flexframe looks like a really nifty idea. But whenever I've used a 12" tom on a snare stand, I just have it sitting in the basket, the basket is never tightened on the rim. It sits there and it rings. But I guess the flexframe enables you to tighten the drum to the stand for security reasons.

thanks for the input. I have experimented by loosening up the basket, but to no avail. Flex frame looks interesting. Also i wonder if the newer atlas snare stand would help. Looks like it cradles more than clamps....?

Man, that's gotta be fairly new? That looks like it would work, for sure. And I'll need three. A 12, a 13, and a 14 ... sole-mio, whats another $150 .... cool item, good call, Edvia.​

No problem. I can't remember how I initially found it, but it was only a couple months ago and it's been in the back of my mind ever since due to mounting my 8x12" tom on a snare stand (love the way that looks with my Gretsch). I haven't had too many issues with resonance, which is why I haven't bought it yet, but I'm still contemplating it. If anyone here buys it, please post your opinion.

So i love the look, the feel etc... BUT I definetely notice all my tone disapears!!?? Suggestions?

Get the new name brand Gauger Flex Frame. Putting a tom on a snare stand will always choke the sound. I have a Fled Frame on my 13x7 Macassar Ebony stave snare and it sounds incredible. I no longer use snare wires, so you can really hear the difference.

Tried this look on my kit. I could not get it high enough. Ended up switching it back since I never had any intentions to keep it this way.
Thats a 15" rack tom on a DW9300 stand.
IMG_0953.jpg

So i love the look, the feel etc... BUT I definetely notice all my tone disapears!!?? Suggestions?

When the tom rests in the snare stand on its bottom rim, the weight of the shell/hardware affects the tuning of the reso head. Try tuning it ON the snare stand. If that doesn't work, try tuning it up. Toms that are tuned medium-high aren't affected by the snare stand mounting as much.

Winston - me too. It takes a little more care in placement on to the rubber tips, but I find this method results in no los of tone.
All the same that Flex Mount is a supercool idea.

my opinion is love the look, however you never no matter what you do get the same resonance sound you would as hanging it.
When playing live it's not so much an issue but playing it at home or studio, I find it chokes the drum too much. Not worth spending extra money to give up sound.
suspend it, sounds way better and much less hassle. I've tried everything and it never sounds as good.
But it does look dam cool...

It also depends on what the basket tips material is on a stand (if it chokes the drum).
Rubber good, plastic bad as I found out.

I have 2 DW flat base stands, bought at separate times....

One has rubber tips, and the drum sounds great on it no problem.

The other has hard plastic tips and it choked the drum.
I ended up gluing a few small pieces of foam rubber to the (entire) tip where the rim touches, and then it worked fine with no choking. The pieces are cut from that rubbery floor stuff you can put together in squares.

Stand works just great since I did that. Some might say you shouldn't have to fix etc...etc..., but this particular model stand works exactly the way I need a stand to work for my tom, so, I fixed a problem.
Why they changed the tips to plastic I don't know. The other DW snare stands I own have rubber, and not plastic tips, so go figure.

DW's 9000 stand has a lift on the softer rubber, and Pearl's 2000 series has great rubber grippers that don't choke at all.

The new Ludwig Atlas stands have good rubber and a lift on them too. Those start hitting shops in mid-April I believe (I have stuff on order).

I don't notice much of a tone loss, but for those that do, I've heard of people putting foam pieces under the feet of the stand itself. Keeps the vibrations on the floor from shaking up the stand, counter acting the resonance or something to that effect. But I definitely agree with making sure the basket isn't tight, and any snare stand with air pockets in the grabbers should help as well.

I use pieces of foam too but I place them to the "claws" of the snare stand. Works like a charm.

Back