Ludwig resonant heads--any good?

valkyrievf2x

Hi!

Restoring an old Ludwig Rocker set, and I wanted to use one of the 22" Ludwig resonant heads to keep with the theme (everything else behind the kit is Evans G2 or so). Question is: are the Ludwig resonant heads any good? Or should I stick with Evans or some other brand? I mean, I'd love hte Ludwig logo on the bass drum, but not enough to the point I wanna sacrifice performance, either...

Thanks!

I think you will find that Ludwig heads are made very nicely, and there shouldnt be any sacrifice to sound. Be proud to play ludwig

A lot of people seem to like Ludwig heads. I don't like them at all,even as resonant heads. When I replaced the Ludwig reso on my 26 with a smooth white Ambassador,there was a huge improvement. I would just get a Ludwig sticker.

In my opinion Ludwig drum heads have a lot to be desired. Two of the heads on my Ludwig Classic Maple kit, the 13" x 9" rack tom and 16" x 16" floor tom were DOA. I replaced all the heads, except the bass drum reso, with Evans. At the present time I'm using G1 coated over G1 clear heads on the toms and an EQ4 for the bass drums batter head. I'm also using a piece of felt on the bass drums logo resonant head for a more pleasing sound. The people at a Five Star shop is giving buyers the opportunity to purchase Evans heads at a great discount to re-head the Classic Maple and Legacy drums that they buy from their shop. Two friends of mine from that shop, the owner and the manager, were to the Ludwig factory about three weeks ago and one of the things that they were discussing was Ludwigs manufacturing of drum heads. Evidently Ludwig has gotten quite a bit of negative feed back in this area.

They did say that Ludwig has a very nice operation going on concerning the manufacturing of drums.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

Dennis

In my opinion Ludwig drum heads have a lot to be desired. Two of the heads on my Ludwig Classic Maple kit were DOA. I replaced all the heads, except the bass drum reso, with Evans. At the present time I'm using G1 coated over G1 clear heads on the toms and an EQ4 for the bass drums batter head. I'm also using a piece of felt on the bass drums logo resonant head for a more pleasing sound. The people at a Five Star shop is giving buyers the opportunity to purchase Evans heads at a great discount to re-head the Classic Maple and Legacy drums that they buy from their shop. Two friends of mine from that shop, the owner and the manager, were to the Ludwig factory about three weeks ago and one of the things that they were discussing was Ludwigs manufacturing of drum heads. Evidently Ludwig has gotten quite a bit of negative feed back in this area.

They did say that Ludwig has a very nice operation going on concerning the manufacturing of drums.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

Dennis

I love that finish....sexy!!!!!!

On my 16x26 I LOVE the heavy coated Batter, and a Smooth White Ludwig front head.

I use a Ludwig Smooth White reso on my other bass drums too, but I still use a Remo here and there.

There is a different pitch between Ludwig and Remo's Smooth White heads, but one isn't "better" than the other IMO.

On the snare a Silver Dot sounds real cool, but most people couldn't get past how it looks on a snare.

The other Ludwig heads can sound good, but I find a Coated Ambassador to have THE sound I want.

I would like to correct myself.I haven't had one in 25 years but I used to like silver dots on my snare.

Back