First Influential Drummer?

Love this thread. You might as well ask how old are you and what kind of personality did you have as a kid

How old possibly, but even though Tre Cool got me into idolising drummers, I was never into punk, or even Green Day (until their last two albums, which are both absolutely brilliant).

But I see your point, there is a certain pattern to the responses here, even though exceptions obviously exist :)

In my town in the late seventies, it was all about Neil Peart. I played Natural Science so many times back then, that I can nail it cold now after not hearing it for years. Wore out the 8 track, I did. 2nd place is shared by Phil Collins and Alex Van Halen.

Straight off from learning how to play on a proper drum kit it was Nicko Mcbrain. First song I learnt properly was Hallowed Be Thy Name, and even after all this time it's so much fun to play.

for me it was probably michael shrieve of santana. when i first saw his performance of "soul sacrifice" in the movie woodstock i was electrified! his playing heavily influenced me and still does to some extent.

And he did it at 19 years of age with a 4-piece kit! Awe inspiring drum solo

My influence was another bay area band and their drummer, Billy Kreutzmann, made me want to switch from trumpet to drums

Stewart Copeland. More air-drumming to the Police than my parents could take. They thought I had Turret's.

i don't think i have any ONE drummer in particular who stoked the fires for me. i just remember listening to a lot of jazz albums and rock n roll 45's in the late 50's and early 60's that my dad had. all of those drummers were an influence on me.

but then after seeing Ringo on Sullivan i knew it was all over!!!

Fore sure, I paid close attention to DS's playing on their debut album, things like Questions and Beginnings.

that Chicago Transit Authority album was an epiphany for me. that was THE record that made me decide to become a professional musician and want to go to music school.

Perhaps Lars Ulrich. My first song was "Enter Sandman", so I assume it would be him.

I know for bass my influence was Cliff Burton.

well..i had an interest in drums for many years before i actually went out and bought a kit, wanted to start when i was 16, i started at 20 lol, but i as well hate to say it but travis barker was who gave me the passion to want to start at 16, and then i seen players like Portnoy,The Rev(yes he is good), Morgan rose, Mike Wengren, Thomas Lang, Ray Luzier, and all the way to guys like John Blackwell, theres no end to inspiration :D

Perhaps Lars Ulrich. My first song was "Enter Sandman", so I assume it would be him.

I know for bass my influence was Cliff Burton.

Lars is one of those musicians whose personality and celebrity spotlight often gets in the way of people actually appreciating his playing.

He has done some really bad work (St. Anger pops to mind) but he has also made a lot of great music.

Back