Axis question

drummingman

Gold Member
I know that on the Axis pedals the foot board and beater angle are not independently adjustable. So I'm wondering if anyone knows which of their pedals allow the pedal board to be at it lowest point while the beater is pretty far back. The A11? The A21? Or the original? Meaning if the beater is set at the same distance on each of these different pedals which will have the lower pedal board hight (with the shortboard Axis A series pedal)? The double pedal is what I'm looking at.

I know its an unusual question but something I'm wondering about.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your beater is situated far back and your pedal plate is low, there's a danger of bottoming out before your beater strikes the drum head.

I think there's nothing like a separately adjustable beater and footplate, it just opens up more possibilities with regard to your pedal settings.

I think the A21s will be what you're looking for, if the 21 degree angle is backward and not forward (am I making sense here?) What I was thinking is that this will allow the footplate to be situated lower and the beater further back than the conventional Axis pedals.

Or did I get it all backward? :s

I thought that the drive lever on the AX and A-21 allowed the pedal and beater to be independantly adjustable. The X series doesn't have the drive lever.

I thought that the drive lever on the AX and A-21 allowed the pedal and beater to be independantly adjustable. The X series doesn't have the drive lever.

No it permits a change to the position of the direct drive link, changing the feel of the pedal...if the VDL is all the way forward the pedal feels lighter going forward, if the VDL is all the way back the pedal feels heavier (more resistance) going forward....

I know that on the Axis pedals the foot board and beater angle are not independently adjustable. So I'm wondering if anyone knows which of their pedals allow the pedal board to be at it lowest point while the beater is pretty far back. The A11? The A21? Or the original? Meaning if the beater is set at the same distance on each of these different pedals which will have the lower pedal board hight (with the shortboard Axis A series pedal)? The double pedal is what I'm looking at.

I know its an unusual question but something I'm wondering about.

Actually foot board and beater angle are independently adjustable on all AXIS pedals.

They go about it a different way tho... using shims under the foot board. I've used them, they work and with a little switching around can be mounted on top of the foot board to get the board even lower. You can also remove the hoop clamp, as AXIS pedals are pretty stable w/o them.

the VDL changes the feel of the pedal but will also lower or raise the foot board depending on where you set the VDL. Axis does not recommend messing with the Allen nuts on the beater cam. changing the beater angle is done via the spring assembly block.

Hey Guys,

There is no separate footboard/beater angle adjustment on any axis pedal.

The only adjustments you have are spring tension, VLD position, beater position and beater height.

Although, as Les Ismore pointed out, you can order the Footboard lifts and use them backwards to drop the footboard.

Just something to think about......Bonham and Mcbrain both used a pedal without separate footboard/beater angle adjustments.
In fact, all they had was spring tension and beater height.

D

I recently picked up the ax-x pedal (I think that's the model #). it's the only pedal I own where I have not messed with any adjustments; felt good right out of the box...and I have about the worst kick foot/leg in the history of drumming. With other pedals, I've noticed that raising/lowering the footboard seems to lead to problems like hip tendon/muscle pain if the board is too high to balance and strike force issues if it is too low. Adjust with caution.

I recently picked up the ax-x pedal (I think that's the model #). it's the only pedal I own where I have not messed with any adjustments; felt good right out of the box.

I think the only adjustment you can make on the X pedals is spring tension and beater height. The other models have the VLD and you can add the micro tuner, but the X models are pretty much plug and play.

980683_10151784941522063_1388417000_o.jpg

you can adjust the angle between the beater and the footboard by loosening these two set screws, then adjust the resting angle of them both by loosening the set screw on the spring assembly.

I would say this is the answer to this endless internet discussion, although I can't verify this with experience. I owned one axis pedal and it was beat. No life left in it...

I would say this is the answer to this endless internet discussion, although I can't verify this with experience. I owned one axis pedal and it was beat. No life left in it...

No not the answer, its a completely misguided observation.

Do not touch those two screws, a big NO NO, plus you can clearly see if you did loosen those screws the foot board would still move with the #1 piece.

I've been playing AXIS since 92' have rebuilt a few AXIS pedals and can tell you don't touch those two screws. They're not beater angle adjustment screws.

Get some AXIS shims, they work.

Attachments

• Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    70 KB · Views: 444
No not the answer, its a completely misguided observation.

Do not touch those two screws, a big NO NO, plus you can clearly see if you did loosen those screws the foot board would still move with the #1 piece.

I've been playing AXIS since 92' have rebuilt a few AXIS pedals and can tell you don't touch those two screws. They're not beater angle adjustment screws.

Get some AXIS shims, they work.

ooh, it's flat in there... Yeah completely disregard my advice.

980683_10151784941522063_1388417000_o.jpg

you can adjust the angle between the beater and the footboard by loosening these two set screws, then adjust the resting angle of them both by loosening the set screw on the spring assembly.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

this post and all following pictures should be deleted.. I can already see some poor kids with their shiny new axis pedals going home and wrecking them because of this bad advice.

the new ones have a sticker on them that say DO NOT TOUCH .. kinda like the manual says DO NOT TOUCH.

please don't give out advice if you have never owned the pedal before. for this exact reason.

you can get heel risors (i made my own) to flatten it out.. or you can get toe risors if you want. but when they are set up pretty much perfect from the factory there is not alot of adjustment needed

Thanks all for the replies!

How do the heel shims work? I'm looking at getting the short boards as I'm not a long board fan (I like having a heel plate to rest on when I'm not playing). How do the shims work with the short board as compaired to the long boards. I like my pedal boards low.

Has anyone tried the 3 different parts, the A21, the A11 and the original? How do they compare to each other in any way you can think of?

One last thing. I have a pretty big foot, size 13. How short is the short board pedals? Would my heel be hanging way off the heel plate when resting or is the pedal pretty long?

Has anyone tried the 3 different parts, the A21, the A11 and the original? How do they compare to each other in any way you can think of?

One last thing. I have a pretty big foot, size 13. How short is the short board pedals? Would my heel be hanging way off the heel plate when resting or is the pedal pretty long?

I've owned both the A21 and the original,...personally I prefer the A21 because it allows you to strike the head a little earlier in the stroke (using traditional type beaters - i.e., not sonic hammer).. The original will allow this as well but only by using the sonic hammers and adjusting the beater forward ....the A21's also feel like they strike the head a little harder (more force)..

Short boards are similar in size to other manufacturers boards, but personally I can't ever see myself using anything other than longboards..love them!

No such thing as an A11, at least as far as I know...

Back