Monster XRL Cables, worth it?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I noticed one of my XLR cables for my overhead microphone is starting to go out (static in line if you touch the cable when the mic is on). Which, I realize, happens. No big deal.

I am also thinking I'm not quite getting the full drum tones I want out of my over head mics, which are Audix AT4040s, running into a DigiMaxD8, going into Protools.

I know from working behind the counter at music stores, Monster cables are supposed to give you better signal and better overall sound. Some say it's more hype than anything.

They are also expensive.

So I'm taking an informal survey: Is spending the money for Monster XRL cables for my over head mics worth it?

Nope. I think Monster Cables are crap. I usually make my own. I buy Mogami or Canare cable and either use Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors. Cables I've made 25 years ago are still working today. Of course, having a cable tester is smart, then you can periodically test your cables to see which ones are acting up and either fix them or replace them. Save some money and get the stock ProCo's, but avoid the Hosa's, if you're not into building your own. I like making my own, then I know how well they'll work.

The funnier thing is the marketing behind the Monster 1/4" plug instrument cable. They say all this great stuff about 'em, but when you see how a 1/4" plug actually contacts the jack, the tip touches something, and a small piece of metal touches the body of the plug. Not exactly a for-sure connection!

Nope. I think Monster Cables are crap. I usually make my own. I buy Mogami or Canare cable and either use Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors. Cables I've made 25 years ago are still working today. Of course, having a cable tester is smart, then you can periodically test your cables to see which ones are acting up and either fix them or replace them. Save some money and get the stock ProCo's, but avoid the Hosa's, if you're not into building your own. I like making my own, then I know how well they'll work.

The funnier thing is the marketing behind the Monster 1/4" plug instrument cable. They say all this great stuff about 'em, but when you see how a 1/4" plug actually contacts the jack, the tip touches something, and a small piece of metal touches the body of the plug. Not exactly a for-sure connection!

Entirely agreed. You can make your own high-quality cables with a little knowledge and patience. I make my own cables, I haven't bought a cable in the last two years unless it was an emergency. Better still, you know how well-made they are, rather than relying on an industrial process.

Monster cables are good, but far too expensive. It's brand selling and little else.

Thanks guys.

I'll pass on the Monster.

Given I do most things DIY, you would think I'd make my own cables, but some how I always forget that's an option.

Last edited:
Just buy a soldering iron and fix it. No need to buy new.

I use Monster mic cables and I love them. To me, they are worth the money. But you should try to fix your own first as it's not that hard.

There are many good comments here. In addition, I would also collect opinions about cables from people who merely buy cables and do not make their own. For DIY cable makers, nothing except their own hand-crafted cables will ever be good enough and since they are not in the business of making, distributing and selling cables, they cannot sell you these great cables they make. So you either get the skills and equipment to make your own, or your research OEM cables out there.

Back