Phil Rudd fined

$250, how pathetic. People with money can get out of anything.

$250, how pathetic. People with money can get out of anything.

And off duty police officers as we all witnessed here locally. DUI for an off duty officer who was in her patrol car took out some fences and smashed the front end of the car. Was taken to the local station and then released. No confirmation of blood alcohol level or a test for that matter. If it were you or I we would still be sitting in County waiting to stand tall in front of The Man.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7991008

"It's only Rock 'N' Roll......but I like it!!!!"

So he got busted with some pot......must be a REAL criminal then. I learned a long time ago, not to stand in a glass house with a boulder in my hands.

"There but for the grace of god, go many."

...and justice for all! The strong arm of the law applies for some people and others not!

And off duty police officers as we all witnessed here locally. DUI for an off duty officer who was in her patrol car took out some fences and smashed the front end of the car. Was taken to the local station and then released. No confirmation of blood alcohol level or a test for that matter. If it were you or I we would still be sitting in County waiting to stand tall in front of The Man.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7991008

Yeah! You never know is easy to be blamed and to pay the sins of others!

"It's only Rock 'N' Roll......but I like it!!!!"

So he got busted with some pot......must be a REAL criminal then. I learned a long time ago, not to stand in a glass house with a boulder in my hands.

"There but for the grace of god, go many."

Talk about an understatement ... 25 grams of pot deemed "the lower levels of criminality". I'd call it a microscopic level of "criminality".

Meanwhile, the judge, police and court staff go home and have a few beers or a spot of wine with dinner.

The law is an ass. The sooner the law gets out of people's private lives and stops wasting time with nonsense like this, the better.

A bag of weed and he was done dirt cheap

(see what I did there?)

I find it strange that he is still smoking pot at his age.

The last statement of the press release really cracked me up (Playing Russian Roulette With The Law), give me a break. I personally believe in the legalization of it, my only problem with legalizing it here in the states would be the fact that the government would then be involved in the regulation of it and eventually screw it all up like everything else they touch. I personally no longer smoke and have not for many, many years, however, I certainly do not have a problem with someone burning one every now and then for their own personal use. To me it is like alcohol, done in moderation, I don't believe is an issue. I hope the conviction will not prevent him from entering certain countries. I had my AC/DC cover days and still like rockin out to them when the time is right. We still get the hot girls requesting a good Dirty Deeds cover, hard to sometimes turn it down when a lit hotty on the dance floor is requesting that.

The law is an ass. The sooner the law gets out of people's private lives and stops wasting time with nonsense like this, the better.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Queen Victoria used to use it for her period pains, & I don't hear anyone accusing her of being at the lr end of criminal activity!

25 grams, oh please. He was obviously running drugs in his boat & looking to supply half the nation. And why did they search his boat anyhow, I can just picture the court scene: "Mr. Rudd's boat was observed listing heavily to the port side due to this huge haul of herbal evil". So who was on a fishing trip, Rudd (excuse the pun), or the police?

Quote from the article:

Mrs Paterson said the cannabis was not there by accident and when someone chose to play "Russian roulette" with the law then they should be prepared to face the consequences.

So they are comparing that law to a gun, which kills.

That is not hypocritical at all. Good thing because I despise hypocrites.

Phil, mate! pull the plug on Kiwi-land and let it sink...;-) It seems that the police put up on a good show on you!

Phil, mate! pull the plug on Kiwi-land and let it sink...;-) It seems that the police put up on a good show on you!

Ian, it's weird. The Kiwis are normally the most relaxed, informal people you'll ever meet. This incident is sooo at odds with the impression I had when I holidayed there.

The stupidity of this bust amazes me. Think of the money spent in prosecuting this case ... police wages, clerical staff, the magistrate, court admin, records, IT ... thousands. All to bust a harmless old rock star who likes to chill with a bit of herb. The losers - Phil and the NZ taxpayer. The winners - the cop, the lawyers, the court staff (who get easy money for a low pressure non-issue), journalists and proselytising politicians. Funny thing, whenever you do these sums, lawyers, journalists and politicians always seem to be in the winners column.

I don't really favour official legalisation for the same reason as Jim mentioned - better to be a laissez faire "prohibition".

Vince, I'd better stop now or people won't be able to tell us apart :)

INOG, not sure how old you are but I can vouch for the fact that people over 50 like to enjoy themselves too.

Talk about an understatement ... 25 grams of pot deemed "the lower levels of criminality". I'd call it a microscopic level of "criminality".

Meanwhile, the judge, police and court staff go home and have a few beers or a spot of wine with dinner.

While it may seem minor Pol, things like this can go a lot father than you think.

Say there's a 15 year old drummer who's idol was Phil. He found out Phil had been caught for possession of drugs, and he loses faith in his idol. Could even cause him to stop drumming.

Or it could have a even worse effect. Maybe the 15 year old kid thinks, "Hey Phil Rudd is an awesome drummer, and he smokes pot, so why shouldn't I?"

Fact is it's illegal, and it's illegal for a reason. It creates bad health, promotes a bad influence, and can harm other people physically as well. Now I realize 25 grams isn't a lot, so the third statement is probably irrelevant, but it doesn't matter if it's 1 gram or 1000, it's against the law and he was rightly punished.

While it may seem minor Pol, things like this can go a lot father than you think.

Say there's a 15 year old drummer who's idol was Phil. He found out Phil had been caught for possession of drugs, and he loses faith in his idol. Could even cause him to stop drumming.

Or it could have a even worse effect. Maybe the 15 year old kid thinks, "Hey Phil Rudd is an awesome drummer, and he smokes pot, so why shouldn't I?"

Fact is it's illegal, and it's illegal for a reason. It creates bad health, promotes a bad influence, and can harm other people physically as well. Now I realize 25 grams isn't a lot, so the third statement is probably irrelevant, but it doesn't matter if it's 1 gram or 1000, it's against the law and he was rightly punished.

What if a young drummer sees his idol booked for travelling at 65 in a 60 zone? Speeding is illegal too.

If this scenario promted a young drummer to "give up" or to think "hey speeding (pot, whatever you choose) is cool, I think I'll do it too", then I'd argue that the young drummer has a lot more to worry about than paying a fine.

These guys play music mate, that doesn't automatically make them a role model.

My musical "idols" died of drug and alcohol overdoses, blew up hotel rooms, smashed tv's, drove Rolls Royces into swimming pools, slept with underage women 6 at a time.....the list goes on and on. I've never been prompted to follow their lead nor have I wanted to give up disheartened because of it.

Last edited:
Back