noises while you drum?

tamadrummer132

Silver Member
Well i was playing drums today and i noticed that sometimes i randomly make noises that like add to my playing. It sounds so weird. but for instance if like i was building up my groove and really getting into it id like sub consciously use my voice as almost an added affect.

This isnt often. just randomly when i really get into it and i do all my head bobbin eyes closin stuff. lol. but have you guys ever done this? am i alone? lol thanks in advance.

-david

kinda sorta. im almost like a coldplay-esque (sp?) type of dealio when my voice follows the emotion of my drums. if that makes any sense.

In the weird drum habits thread, you can see that lots of people do this, including me. It happens all the time. Dunno why.

when im trying to do something fast, ill sing along with it..lol

Alex

ps. the other night, i was watching a vid where Pink Floyd played a reunion tour in like '06, and their guitar player sang every note he played when he was playing a solo! lol

Yup, do the same thing.. Almost like a Steve Gadd-kind of humming.

Been doing it as long as I can remember playing drums..

To keep time and memorize parts I have always hummed the bass line or a reasonable facsimile of the bass line.

Im there guys.. Always have done that! Back when I was playing in a more aggressive genre and wore a headset mic, the sound guy had to turn down my mic gain cuz I was making all these grunting and growling noises.. Now I stick to humming during fills and doing the primal shout during a fill breakdown or the babba-da-baa coupled with the Carlos Santana jello face for no apparent reason. I hate having my photo taken during a gig. I always seem to be making some dopey face or spitting or something!

I don't, but way back I thought I was hearing a conversation in my head while my band at the time was blazing through a Hendrix cover (Can You See Me,... lot of breaks.. ).

It turned out that the converation wasn't in my head, it was the bass player who was actually talking to his bike mechanic who was standing just off stage, giving him instructions on how to tune the carbs, all the while playing through the changes in the tune.

It was the weirdest on- stage moment I've ever experienced.

So funny story, About 3 years ago while in my long time band The Johnson Project we were doing a live recording of a few tunes at our rehearsal studio. I sing back up and wear a head set mic. We were listening to a play back and my guitarist says 'what is that awful noise?" I started laughing, He said "what are you laughing at?" I realized it was me, humming, grunting and groaning as I play. I went out and bought an in-line switch.

Well i was playing drums today and i noticed that sometimes i randomly make noises that like add to my playing. It sounds so weird. but for instance if like i was building up my groove and really getting into it id like sub consciously use my voice as almost an added affect.

This isnt often. just randomly when i really get into it and i do all my head bobbin eyes closin stuff. lol. but have you guys ever done this? am i alone? lol thanks in advance.

-david
As long as you're not yelling obscenities like The Tourettes Guy on YouTube you'll be fine!!

Back