Busted snare side head at gig...spare heads/parts

DrummerCA35

So, when setting up for the gig at a yacht club list night, I see that the snare side head is broken. In playing gigs for over 35 years, this has never happened to me. I don't even know HOW the snare side head broke between the gig last week and last night. None of my toms are 14" so I couldn't try swapping a resonant tom head for a snare bottom head. Hitting the drum obviously sounded terrible. I sucked it up, and drove off to a music store to buy a snare bottom head, under obvious stress. I had set up early, so I had some time. It was about 17 minutes away. Got back to the gig with 20 mins to spare. Changed the head, and I was kicking myself for not having a spare head in my snare drum bag, or a spare snare drum in the car. And promised myself this wouldn't happen again.

What spare heads/parts do you have in your car/cases?

I was thinking, from now on, spare snare batter head, spare snare side had, spare bass drum head, and spare bass drum pedal. Or instead of the spare snare heads, maybe just a spare snare drum? I have several.

I wonder if I could have duct taped the bottom snare head and gotten something that was passable?

Last edited:
I think carrying a spare snare would be a better option IMO.

The only "extra" thing I carry is extra sticks. I already have to carry a drum set and a PA system, and I've had a pretty good track record at nothing failing.

I skip the snare heads and just bring an extra snare. I never had to use it. I do bring an extra BD batter head, a footpedal and a cheap hi hat stand. And extra sticks. Anything else I can do without, or make do. The extra stuff stays in the truck. If I break something, I have to run out to my truck. Oh well, this only happens like once every 8 years for me, if that.

8 x 11 clear plastic laminating sheets with the adhesive on the one side make good bass drum batter rip repairers. They will get you through till the next break.

I have tossed a backup snare in the truck....but I haven't been playing "hard music" for years so it is less of an issue today than years ago-at least for batters. Snare side though? Hmmm...that may be something to put in the snare bag. Takes up no room, fairly quick change out.

I do carry an extra HH clutch, felts, "wingnuts", screwdriver, pliers, extra key, gaffer tape, snare tapes\cord.

As far as pedals etc. Three things come to mind-

1. what your gig schedule is
2. how hard you play
3. how much time you spend on gear maintenance

Adjust accordingly.

Thinking modern pedals, if you check your spring, spring retainers and pivots etc. you shouldn't really have to worry too much.

If that's the first time it has happened in 35 years, I'd chalk it up as an aberration and not worry about it.

There used to be a time when I carried a spare batter side snare head, but like you, in all of my experience, I've never busted a snare head. The only time I've ever broken any head was a weird thing on a 16" floor tom head in the practice room one day, and I think that was probably due to the fact that the head was already very worn, and I was using a set of sticks where the tips were probably a bit too chipped up.

I don't worry about my kick head because I use Remo Falam Slam patches - I can't see myself ever putting a beater through a head using one of those.

I don't gig in situations where it would be critical, but if I did, at most I'd probably bring a spare snare.

Only head I usually bring is a snare batter or extra snare, though I've mostly stopped doing that... I've also never broke a reso on a gig.

I've broken a snare head just once - at home. On a very high-stakes gig I might have a backup snare, and I'd rather do that than a spare head, because the changeover is much quicker. But overall I don't think about it.

I always have two snares at every gig so I don't have to change heads.
And I have broken the snare side head a few times. Once in high school I broke the snare side on BOTH my main snare, and the backup...

It's not often, I've probably only popped a snare side maybe 5-6 times my whole life, but every once and a while....

The only time I have extra stock of heads with me is on tours. For local gigs, I just make sure to have two snares (most of the time they are identical snares too) and I have a tool box that goes everywhere with me. In it I have every possible spare part for my hear. Snare Wires, Felts, Wing Nuts, Tension Rods, Screws, Tools, Batteries, even Guitar Strings & Picks, cuz ya just never know!

I skip the snare heads and just bring an extra snare. I never had to use it. I do bring an extra BD batter head, a footpedal and a cheap hi hat stand. And extra sticks. Anything else I can do without, or make do. The extra stuff stays in the truck.

I carry exactly what Larry carries at all times.

I've broken a snare side head before. At a gig one day in the middle of a song I looked down and noticed my snare sounded like a tom all of a sudden. Ive broken so much equipment at gigs I really should've learned by now to prepare

35 years without changed a head is pretty crazy though, I mean I get it's a reso but still! I think I remember Russ Miller or someone saying he changes out his tom resos like once a year or so because they "wear out" and becoming duller sounding, I wonder how much truth is behind that.... my resos are getting pretty old too now that I think about it

It's an exception rather than the norm for most...thankfully! Out f the hundreds of gigs I've done 99.9% of them go fine, I have here to rant about the 0.1%!

I've had one snare side go (jam night phew), I've had a snare batter go during a gig but that was to an empty pub, that was a new head too!

The worst for me was when my butt plate failed a couple weeks back, Dunnett R4 looks nice but is over-engineered to the point that it overlooks the parts basic function.

I don't take a spare snare as I travel as light as possible. As others have said if I was playing a real high stakes gig, every eventuality would be accounted for.

I'm fairly hot on replacing heads and snare resos get done pretty often.

I carry a box of spare springs/nuts/washers/felts/rods etc but that's it.
No spare heads - no spare drums . ( I do have a 14 FT though....)
Gigging regularly for over 20 years and never needed them.

Probably jinxed it now..... :)

Back