10 prescriptions for productive practice

Simple and to the point - a handy list for sure. My favorites were:

- Show up on time. Treat it like a class, or job.

I know I am not a pro but it doesn't hurt to act like one.

- Know what you are going to practice before you walk into the room.

On days when I have sat down with paper and pencil and sketched out my practice routine I have much more productive practices. The days when I just sit at my kit and wonder what to do next usually end up with me throwing sticks at some point.

Thanks Anthony -

MM

I'll add one - save the fun stuff for the end. It's pretty hard to slog out the boring bits when you're exhausted from having fun.

Lately I've been starting with the sight reading (after warm up on the pad).

The hardest thing for me to do is work on the stuff I suck at. Whenever I sit down to "work on stuff", I always gravitate towards the type of stuff I can do well already. Problem is, that's not what I need to work on the most. Sure, I can always have cleaner doubles, but my doubles already suit my playing, and I think usually my time is better spent on something I'm no good at in the slightest, like jazz comps or way-up-tempo one hand 16ths with other limbs independent.

Along the same lines, but not the same thing, I remind myself often to get out of my music comfort zone where listening is concerned as well. Take gambles on albums, go to genres I don't normally visit.

Yeah same, I am up to challenges but I avoid starting out with things that make me feel inferior, that's the quickest way to kill my practice motivation.

Reminds me I should transcribe the progressive stuff that I can't figure out by ear.

6 days a week? any less isn't productive? seriously? For beginners or committed university students, maybe yes, but for most people, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

In my opinion, anything that is regularly scheduled is fine. You can be productive this way as long as its mindfully directed practice. Session duration isn't covered on the list and will affect how frequent you'll need/want to practice. How long can you stay focused and mindful during a single practice? What are your technical goals? How does your gigging schedule affect the content of your practice? do you have gig dependent or time dependent goals that will affect your session duration/frequency? Its a person decision based or what can of progress you want to see, how much time you have, and what your goals and commitments are inside and outside your music.

Everything else, I agree 100%, not trying to be a scrutiny scrooge. Planned, scheduled, and mindful practice is key to progress. "Going through the motions" is no way to practice.

I'd also recommend not doing everything in every session. Especially if you practice many times a week, devoting one day to technique/speed, another to groove/feel, and another to reading/learning/transcribing, for example.. can help you get more done.

Last edited:
I'll add one - save the fun stuff for the end. It's pretty hard to slog out the boring bits when you're exhausted from having fun.

Lately I've been starting with the sight reading (after warm up on the pad).
Usually I have the most enjoyment at the beginning, improvising something on the kit. That's how I begin, anyway.

I'm not sure I agree with 6 days a week. Why not 7? Quality is much more important than quantity in any practice or learning technique. I can slog through six days just because someone said six days, or I can really bear down for 5 days, and maybe learn more. Not everyone will burn out at 7. Also, don't practice so tired that your technique suffers and you end up practicing and repeating poor technique.

I'm not sure I agree with 6 days a week. Why not 7? Quality is much more important than quantity in any practice or learning technique. I can slog through six days just because someone said six days, or I can really bear down for 5 days, and maybe learn more. Not everyone will burn out at 7. Also, don't practice so tired that your technique suffers and you end up practicing and repeating poor technique.

+1. Two weeks ago I practiced 6 days for 1.5 hrs a day and had a sluggish 2.5 hour rehearsal day with the band. Last week I practiced 3 days for about 1 - 1.5 hrs each and rehearsal was burning! So this week I'm going to try 1 off day 2 practice days 1 off and 1 practice day with a tuning/maintenance day on Sat before rehearsal and see how that goes.

Burn out sucks. I want to have a strong desire to sit down and practice/play. Usually a day of rest will help build up that desire.

Back