DW irritation

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Little rant ahead, beware. Does anyone else get slightly irritated when certain members only post their playing and don't participate in anyone else's discussions or add to the forum in any other way? Is it just me? I take the Your Playing section seriously. To the point where I limit my threads there to maybe twice a year. I don't want to shove these things down peoples throats. Like I feel you have to earn the privilege to post your playing by actively participating in threads that have nothing to do with yourself. I have no problem as long as the poster is an active contributor.

I won't have to worry about certain members reading this because they only are interested in taking away compliments on their own threads instead of contributing in a non selfish way to others threads. So they probably won't even see this. I did a search and a certain member has 39 threads started and 37 of them are in the Your Playing section. The other 2 were about their gear. I find this very selfish to the point where I don't even want to watch their playing anymore.

I totally agree. For me to post in 'Your Playing' I much prefer that the individual actually contributes to the forum. For me, it's the conversational equivalent of somebody going into a group of friends, telling everybody how awesome they are, waiting for affirmation and then disappearing.

Quite often I find those individuals on other forums doing exactly the same thing. There are exceptions where I think the playing merits commenting but I usually comment on threads started by 'general' contributors.

Bah. Get off my lawn.

EDIT: The best way of getting my back up though is to shamelessly post your own playing in this manner in the wrong forum section. Now, where are those gallows? I know I left them somewhere...

If you think that's bad, then stay away from the Gavin Harrison thread ;)

I notice it all teh time but it doesn't really bother me, unless it's one person very frequently and has a advertising tone to it (like it was posted by a pro marketer).

Your rant, Uncle Larry, is very well thought out and I feel legitimate. I have a tendency to stay away from the Your Playing section because personally I get tired of seeing the same thing over and over. I want to see something creative and awe inspiring. While I do enjoy looking at all the different kits, it does seem to me that some are just looking for affirmation.

Maybe I am a musical bigot, but if I do watch a video I almost never make it past a minute. During that minute, instead of enjoying a performance, I usually just sit there and think "I can do that. What's the big deal?"

Yea, I'm funny when it comes to the Your Playing section. I am very excited to hear new playing from "the regulars". I wish some regulars would post more of their playing actually. Brand new members who start there....I cut them a break, if I am in the mood, I'll listen. It's the ones who, that's all they do is post there that irritates me. I feel slightly used because that person never made any other effort anywhere else in the forum. So why should I stroke their selfish ego? It's like wanting to get paid and not putting in any effort. I fear I'm becoming a grumpy old man lol.

Freedom of choice, Uncle Larry. If it's not someone you've seen around other parts of the board, just don't watch.

That's what I do.

The worst is when you get a "new" member. They post a video (usually in the wrong place) and then you never hear from them again. Maybe there needs to be a certain number of posts to your credit before you're granted that privilege.

On a side note (no hi-jack in progress), I'd like to be able to search the Your Playing section a little easier. I have a great idea of what a lot of people are like on this forum from a conversational / expressing views standpoint, but I have no idea what most are like from a playing standpoint.

On a side note (no hi-jack in progress), I'd like to be able to search the Your Playing section a little easier. I have a great idea of what a lot of people are like on this forum from a conversational / expressing views standpoint, but I have no idea what most are like from a playing standpoint.

Advanced search allows you to pick a member you're interested in and see all the threads they started. You can limit the threads to the Your Playing section only, to see what playing they posted. Forgive me if you already knew that, I am just wondering why you are having trouble finding what you want. What is it you are seeking?

I see your point Larry.

The data gatherer in me wonders what the age range is of those that only or mostly post videos and seldom contribute to the threads versus the reverse.

I could be very wrong but I'd be willing to bet those that post videos of themselves mostly are the "younger" population of people. Taking it one step further, I'll bet the "younger" population who have undoubtedly grown up with the accessibility of instant / online media think nothing of it.

I do see your point though.

Code:
The best way of doing that is to go onto a profile and look up the threads they've started. That's what I do.

Some people (not to mention any names... Larry) ;-) have so many threads its like looking for that proverbial needle in a hay stack - please excuse my cliche.

Advanced search allows you to pick a member you're interested in and see all the threads they started. You can limit the threads to the Your Playing section only, to see what playing they posted. Forgive me if you already knew that, I am just wondering why you are having trouble finding what you want. What is it you are seeking?

Sorry, my previous post got published a little late - oops!!

I have a great idea of what a lot of people are like on this forum from a conversational / expressing views standpoint, but I have no idea what most are like from a playing standpoint.

Then you'll also have to watch the upcoming Drummerworld movie. all personalities revealed. I've heard its in the can.

On a serious note, I don't watch the My Playing section. I get tired of seeing certain people, mostly very young crowd, just posting and never chip-in on anything, any discussion, or to the help of others. Sure its a forum, I guess another dumping ground to promote. I wonder tough, how effective it is? What do people get from all their hits in u-tube? Free sticks?

What do people think of the few who just show up to show their recent purchase, never to be heard from again, or not much further than that? I find that the same as BEF described. "Hey I'm here, I bought this, its great, bye".

Oh well, keep on rockin' in the free world.

It's a protocol thing. I think if they treat online relationships like that, I tend to think that they treat real relationships like that too. Maybe I'm dead wrong, I hope so. But it's selfish, short sighted, disrespectful and not very fun. I would love to confront face to face, but I won't. It's not my place to dictate the behavior of others. I can however rant about it.

What do people think of the few who just show up to show their recent purchase, never to be heard from again, or not much further than that? I find that the same as BEF described. "Hey I'm here, I bought this, its great, bye".

Oh well, keep on rockin' in the free world.

That doesn't bother me as much as the My Playing section. Looking at gear is easy for me, it takes no mental energy to ogle. In the My Playing section, I take very seriously any commentary I offer. I listen hard and feel I am "working" for that person when I offer my opinions. And I love doing it for people I care about. When I don't really know the person, I am much less inclined to want to expend the energy to critique anything. I want to see someone contribute a fair amount first. Andy is great at listening to EVERYONE. He is the one I strive to be more like here when it comes to that. But I have my druthers. I think that is the right use of that word.

I agree with most of the above but will take it one step further. anyone who posts either a youtube vid or any other question and never come back to say thanks or anything at all. I'm sure we have all seen those. One in depth question followed by 15 answers, and then never another word. Grrrrrrrr.

If you're looking for trouble...

You started the right thread!

Not looking for trouble, but at the same time, if the person I have in mind confronted me, I would absolutely...respectfully, state my views. I have nothing against the person, it's the actions of the person I would be contesting.

Back