Gotta question!

Biscuit

This may sound like a dumb question to the veteran drummers but i'm bit of a rookie at this so please cut me some slack.

I've seen some guys mount their ride cymbal on the bass drum as well as crash cymbals. It looks like they took the upper part of the boom stand and basically put it in the tom mount hole on top of the bass drum. My question is this...is it just that simple? Could i just put the upper section of my cymbal stand in the tom hole mount(provideing it fits) and be ready to go or is there some type of hardware i need to get to help re-enforce it? Also is there any long term effects that could happen to the bass drum by doing this? I ask this because i'm not rich and i can't afford to just run out and get a new bass drum whenever i get ready. Basically i'm trying to take some precaution before i try this. I hope this made sense if it didn't i'll try and post some pics as to what i'm talking about.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Could i just put the upper section of my cymbal stand in the tom hole mount(provideing it fits)

Yes. is just that simple.

And Pretty easy with Pearl and Yamaha kits, as they have nice 7/8" openings that are identical to their 7/8" cymabl stand tubing. Other brands may varry.

or is there some type of hardware i need to get to help re-enforce it?
Nope.

Also is there any long term effects that could happen to the bass drum by doing this?
No. People do it all the time.

A cymbal is not significantly different than a tom sitting there.

There shouldn't be any problem. I wouldn't mount massive cymbals off of the bass drum, i.e. 24" rides/heavy rides,crashes. Anything else should be fine. I do this sometimes when I am really lazy about setting up.

There shouldn't be any problem. I wouldn't mount massive cymbals off of the bass drum, i.e. 24" rides/heavy rides,crashes. Anything else should be fine. I do this sometimes when I am really lazy about setting up.

Thanks a million!!!!!!! I was hopeing you guys would say that!! lol This is really going to open up some better possibilities for my set up!!!

eliRYO...I really don't have anything huge in my cymbal set-up. My biggest cymbal is a 20" ride and it's on a stand by it's self. The cymbal i was going to mount to my bass drum is my 18" AAX X-Plosion crash. It's not that heavy and should be ok.

Thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it a bunch!!

Back