How much should i charge for my services as a drummer?

Dang Bermuda don't let Weird Al know you're during a recurrent gig for 20 bucks ;) LOL. I'm really surprised that you don't expect to fetch a certain dollar amount, and the recurrent gig for $20 sort of blows me away TBH-but this fact makes me like you even more. Great advice.

Dang Bermuda don't let Weird Al know you're during a recurrent gig for 20 bucks ;) LOL. I'm really surprised that you don't expect to fetch a certain dollar amount, and the recurrent gig for $20 sort of blows me away TBH-but this fact makes me like you even more. Great advice.

I suppose that particular gig is only because I can afford to, and it's fun. It's not something that really contributes to my bottom line, although I do log it as income in case the IRS really wants to know. But every other gig does have to meet a certain pay rate, which varies by the group, and/or the particular gig. It's not possible to have one rate and apply it to everyone, it just ends up being unfair to someone.

Bermuda

I free lance as a drummer, and work with in scenarios like that all the time.

There are tons of different factors: location, timing, do you have to learn songs, do you have to bring your own kit, is there a rehearsal, et cetera.

I'm in Boston, and typically, a musician would charge $100 for the first 2 hours, and then maybe $50 or $100 an hour after that... so this gig would be about $100. If there's a rehearsal, I usually charge $20-$50/hour of rehearsal, assuming it's close to me.

There's going to be a market rate in your area though, and you don't want to overcharge, especially if there is the potential for more gigs.

That being said, typically the client will have the pay worked out up front. I'll usually get a text, email, FB Message, whatever, that says

"Hey, can you play with us Nov 10th 6pm-8pm at this Italian Restaurant? $100 + dinner and free parking. Mostly standards, we'll bring charts for some original tunes"

Usually the groups knows how much they can get paid when they book the show.

You're wise to come here and ask.

You need to learn that your response to someone who asks you can do a gig is this......

I may be interested if it fits my schedule. How much does it pay?

Or "If I'm available, sure! Does it pay anything?" Some gigs can be freebies. When you're young and just starting out, it's worth it just to meet other players sometimes.

If they say the gig pays $0.00, then you might try "well, I really do want to play music with you all, but I don't want to lose money doing it. Can you pay me X, just to cover gas, and maybe throw in a pizza?"

In the very beginning stages, band leaders often don't realize how much they're asking of their hired guns. In their mind, you're often viewed as just lucky to be a part of their super-special songs that they wrote.

I free lance as a drummer, and work with in scenarios like that all the time.

There are tons of different factors: location, timing, do you have to learn songs, do you have to bring your own kit, is there a rehearsal, et cetera.

I'm in Boston, and typically, a musician would charge $100 for the first 2 hours, and then maybe $50 or $100 an hour after that... so this gig would be about $100. If there's a rehearsal, I usually charge $20-$50/hour of rehearsal, assuming it's close to me.

There's going to be a market rate in your area though, and you don't want to overcharge, especially if there is the potential for more gigs.

That being said, typically the client will have the pay worked out up front. I'll usually get a text, email, FB Message, whatever, that says

"Hey, can you play with us Nov 10th 6pm-8pm at this Italian Restaurant? $100 + dinner and free parking. Mostly standards, we'll bring charts for some original tunes"

Usually the groups knows how much they can get paid when they book the show.

I don't think our guy is at this level yet. It's more the "let's get out and play our original songs for anyone who will listen, be rock stars, and have fun" -- not "let's play sophisticated harmonies and syncopations, quietly in the corner of a swanky restaurant."

(Side note: pay in Boston is better than Detroit. Like, almost double.)

I don't think our guy is at this level yet. It's more the "let's get out and play our original songs for anyone who will listen, be rock stars, and have fun" -- not "let's play sophisticated harmonies and syncopations, quietly in the corner of a swanky restaurant."

(Side note: pay in Boston is better than Detroit. Like, almost double.)

Agreed, that's why I said it will depend on the location... every area is going to be different. Even in new England, there is a huge difference in what places will pay...

I was just using that as an example. Typically the band will know what they are making, and they'll know how much they want to pay the freelancer.

If they are making $300 to play some originals and some covers for 45 minutes, then they might already know that they want to pay the drummer $100 (or $50). Most of these gigs aren't going to be "name your price". The band will say they need a drummer for a show and the pay is $X, it's up to the freelancer to take the gig or turn it down.

I love the union, and I donate to them fairly often, and get the magazine, but I don't know many freelancers that can survive on Union-only work.

It will depend on your area, and your specialties, but it's very tough.

They do have good guidelines on their site for music work, but it's often too complicated for a one set club gig.

A union club gig around me is 2 45 minute sets within 30 miles pays $90. 3 sets is $120.

Drummers get $42 cartage, for bringing their drums. And you get paid for any mileage over 30 miles.

New Years Eve the scale is doubled.

Sounds great, but you are locked into union gigs. You're going to be subject to seniority rules, you'll get fined for playing non-union gigs, and you'll have to move to an area that has union work (Nashville, Boston, NYC, LA).

Back