Playing drums with glasses? ..yes or no...

I don't wear glasses, but when I did some gigs back in the day, I'd wear sunglasses for the first song or two just to look cool. The drummer I jammed with last Tuesday was wearing sunglasses the whole night. Yes, it was inside and it was night. He sure did look cool over there....for a drummer.

Maybe you can wear prescription sunglasses! Way cool!

Or how about prescription glasses with photo sensitive lenses that become sunnies when exposed to sunlight? Sadly, uncool people who wear sunnies don't look cool - they just look like uncool people with sunnies ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGPb7-Lfjs

I have to wear them because I'm blind as a bat otherwise, like Masheanhead. Around -4 dioptres. I tried wearing contacts in my 20s but was not happy with sticking a finger in each eye in the morning.

...My uncle wears glasses too! ;´)

Your uncle is kinda father figure to me :)

I need glasses for distance. It's nice to be able to see the audience members faces and expressions, but generally I take my glasses off to play. My vision is good enough to drive without them, even at night, so my eyes aren't too bad. Still I do like it when I can see further away, but I look better without them on. Which isn't saying a whole lot. Every little bit helps lol. I am usually looking at the soloist or up in the air anyway. I hear things better when I look upwards.

I'm like Larry, my glasses is only for seeing in a distance, that's why I don't wear them when playing, I tried early on in my drumming years, even with branches that's wrap behind the ears, but I definitely prefer to play without them on, but they're always at hand if I want to put them on.

I don't wear glasses in the house or for reading, but I do for driving.

Or how about prescription glasses with photo sensitive lenses that become sunnies when exposed to sunlight? Sadly, uncool people who wear sunnies don't look cool - they just look like uncool people with sunnies ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGPb7-Lfjs

I have to wear them because I'm blind as a bat otherwise, like Masheanhead. Around -4 dioptres. I tried wearing contacts in my 20s but was not happy with sticking a finger in each eye in the morning.

Oh ya, that's cool. Sunnies. I forget what they call them here. What're you talking about? They look cool on you. Unfortunately you were out-cooled by your lead singer's turtle neck sweater. Rippin' version ot SOYL, btw.

I'm always surprised when a co-worker or somebody like that tells me they wear contacts. I couldn't even imagine having to deal with that every day.

I'd say they're best used as a disguise, not to actually correct your vision, Benny Greb style. Only a handful of drummers can tell he's really Superman behind those glasses.

Bun E Carlos
Peter Erskine
Vinnie Colaiuta
Jeff Porcaro
Joe Morello
Max Roach
Art Taylor
Jake Hanna
Ed Shaughnessy
Roy Harte
Billy Cobham
Ringo
Curt Bisquera
Marvin "Smitty" Smith
Patrick Carney

all say it's A-Okay

:)

....thats all I got off the top of my head ......

... they just look like uncool people with sunnies ...

You mean this

justin-bieber-white-sunglasses.jpg

Vinnie Colaiuta...

The very reason why I don't wear them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z3Qj5uI6o0

....thats all I got off the top of my head ......

... it's usually a hat :)

I've been wearing glasses for about 20 years, and I just keep them on all the time unless I'm playing sports. I have the ones that tint in the sun (transition lenses), so I don't need sunglasses. And they are a snug fit and never fall off.

However, I do run into a problem when I'm sweating heavily. Today we played outside and it was 100 degrees, so I was reaching for the towel to wipe sweat from my head after every song. The problem is that you really have to move the glasses out of the way to effectively swipe your forehead. So that's an added inconvenience.

You mean this

justin-bieber-white-sunglasses.jpg

Aww, people are sooo mean. He's just a young boy having fun playing dressups. Actually, seems to me that he's pushing the same taboo that The Beatles did with their long hair in the early 60s. Good on him.

However, I do run into a problem when I'm sweating heavily. Today we played outside and it was 100 degrees, so I was reaching for the towel to wipe sweat from my head after every song.

Sounds painful. Did you manage to actually enjoy that gig or was it too brutal?

When playing tennis my specs always fog up. I think there's some anti fog stuff you can wipe on to the lenses but it's never worried me enough to buy it.

Seriously though, I wear glasses when I play. This, from a guy with great distance vision but old enough to have arms that are too short for reading.

Besides, how am I going to see the computer screen to change the light sequence between songs?

I was hoping to find a thread on this.

I've relatively recently needed glasses.

This is the first time I've been drumming with glasses.

It's bloody annoying.

I'm a heavy sweater and my glasses get sweat all over them, they fog up.

I need them to read PDFs of exercises etc.

I could wear a headband.........but I'll just look like a 4 eyed tennis player on a set of drums or the dude from Loverboy.

I was hoping to find a thread on this.

I've relatively recently needed glasses.

This is the first time I've been drumming with glasses.

It's bloody annoying.

I'm a heavy sweater and my glasses get sweat all over them, they fog up.

I need them to read PDFs of exercises etc.

I could wear a headband.........but I'll just look like a 4 eyed tennis player on a set of drums or the dude from Loverboy.
Are contacts an option for you? What about prescription rec specs like these. They are designed to let steamy air pass through the lens area to minimize fogging and also designed to stay up on your nose despite sweat.

1647220107849.png

I wear glasses, no real problems. Occasionally, I need to push them up on my nose but I've gotten pretty good at doing that wile playing.

Absolutely - I'm quite near sighted - so to read music, to see conductors, to see band member's cues,... heck almost to see the bell of my ride cymbal.

I've never had problems keeping them on. If I did, I would just use one of those behind the head strap thingies.

At the age of 56, I’m still wearing contacts (which should change soon, I suppose). But I have no problem wearing glasses. After years of wearing glasses, it’s just a matter of finding comfortable frames and light plastic lenses to keep them from sliding off your face. For me, this always meant spending $300 on a pair of glasses that my insurance only covered $125 of, but I have to do it that way.

Reactions: A J
I do wear my glasses because if not I wont see where i'm hitting.

The most impressive drummer wearing glasses was defunt Joe Morello. I wouldn't miss a beat even if he had to push them back into place with one hand.
I wear my specks, but Joe is something else. He emphasizes his one hand playing taking time to push up the coke bottles. So smooth

I wear prescription glasses since 7 years old. Yes I do wear them while playing the drums, they never bother or fall off while moving around the kit. I rather keep my eyes in movement than my head though...My uncle wears glasses too! ;´)

***Mic drop***

No further discussion necessary. You Sir, win the internet today.

Back