Shure SM12A Headset Mic

carguy37757

Does anyone have experience with using a Shure SM12A headset mic? I just picked one up and have tested to make sure it works, which it does, but was really curious if anyone has any first had experience with it and can provide opinions, insight or experiences and tips on using it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick

When I was in a band, I had the SM10A (essentially the same mic).

I think the trick was routing the cable and securing it so the headset doesn't pull on your head, distracting you from playing/singing properly. I had to have the mic element right at the corner of my mouth to get it to pick up nice. If I remember correctly, we had to have the gain up pretty high for it since it's a small mic element in there. It was clean sounding and didn't pop or crackle, but it was significantly quieter than an SM58.

Also, make sure the sound dude knows when to mute the mic and make sure he knows when to turn you back on - if you're not going to be using it the whole time. It's nice to get it off your head when not being used, plus if you're like me, you hum or make other weird noises when you play - you don't want those coming through the system! I sing even when I'm not the 'singer.'

I thought it was a good mic and overall pretty comfortable. It takes a good sound man to make you most effective as a singing drummer (lead or backing vocals).

Yes, years ago I sued the SM10, and found that you have to get a cable clip and clip the cable to your collar, so the weight the cable going down your body doesn't pull the headset off while you play.

Also, whenever I use my headmic, I carry around a ProCo Cough Drop foot pedal that the mic gets plugged into. then from the pedal, the XLR goes to the console. Then whenever I want to mute the mic, I simply his the switch. Do not trust the sound guy to do this for you - you're only asking for trouble ;)

I love my Shure in ear monitor but I do quite a bit of lead vocals from behind the kit and didnt really care for the sound quality of the sm10 or 12 and ended up selling it and buying an audio-technica atm73a, it has a very thin cable to the headset and a clip on body pack with battery and a on/off switch, mic will also work on phantom power as well, been using it now for about 10 years trouble free.

Last edited:
Yes, years ago I sued the SM10, and found that you have to get a cable clip and clip the cable to your collar, so the weight the cable going down your body doesn't pull the headset off while you play.

Also, whenever I use my headmic, I carry around a ProCo Cough Drop foot pedal that the mic gets plugged into. then from the pedal, the XLR goes to the console. Then whenever I want to mute the mic, I simply his the switch. Do not trust the sound guy to do this for you - you're only asking for trouble ;)

Can't believe you had to sue them! The clip is crucial...biggest problem is ripping the thing off your head while playing or being distracted by it slipping off due to gravity pulling the cable down.

Actually, the pedal is a GREAT idea, especially since I only trust one soundman...me.

I used one for many years with no problems. Due to me singing more lead vocals I have switched to a Beta 57 on boom stand. Like stated before, you have to run the gain up pretty high on the SM10, but it does the job. If you do a lot of singing I would suggest another mic.

Back