Tama throne warning!

n2xlr8n

I've always been very pleased with the ergonomics of my HT741 throne. However,
I recently had an incident occur that I feel important enough to share with my fellow drummers:

I had not been terribly thrilled with the "Sit tight" design of the seat bracket. It does not fit securely onto the plastic "bushing" provided unless it is tightened very strongly by hand. I think Tama designed the bracket this way to allow one to use the seat on other manufacturer's seat bases.

Over time, I have found that the seat mounting bracket becomes loose. When the seat bracket is tight, very little rotational movement is present in the seat. Initially, I had checked to ensure the bracket, or "Sit tight" was evenly torqued across its' ends. It was, so I assumed (and verified) that the plastic bushing was wearing slightly, and this would account for the need to re-tighten the seat bracket.

I was wrong.

Half way into rehearsal, the non-graded metric bolts used in the "Sit tight" assembly sheared, and I fell to the concrete floor, injuring my lower back. Upon inspection of the fasteners, I have concluded that the bolts themselves were stretching to the point of failure.

I have since replaced the metric hardware with 10.9 graded fasteners.

FWIW, I sent Tama a polite email regarding this issue on June 7, and haven't received a response.

They probably think I'm just another wacko looking a for a settlement.

Oh well, it is what it is.

SRJ

Yikes!

Sorry to hear about your injury...hope you're okay. As for hearing a reply to Tama, good luck. I sent them an email last month in regards to an Iron Cobra pedal problem I'm having and I haven't gotten a response either.

Hope your back gets better.

Ouch!

Anybody with unanswered Tama questions should register at the Tama forum, and PM an Admin, one of the guys with "Tama" names. They seem to do much better at responding.

Ouch!

Anybody with unanswered Tama questions should register at the Tama forum, and PM an Admin, one of the guys with "Tama" names. They seem to do much better at responding.

I've emailed their forum admins regarding shell replacements, and no reply at all. I find it best to do it through your dealer.

About the Tama throne, I do agree with you. Okay maybe I have a Stagestar(lowest end) throne, it is never tight, and I have pretty much the same problems as you do. I bent the legs after "expressing myself". Really, Tama is not good at thrones.

Ouch!

Unfortunately, Tama's not accepting new members to the forum right now.

I have the same throne and I love the ergonomics of it but I have always been suspicious of that bracket. I'm gonna check it out and proabably replace those fasteners before they give.

I have the same throne and I love the ergonomics of it but I have always been suspicious of that bracket. I'm gonna check it out and proabably replace those fasteners before they give.

Please do.

I think you'll find that the fasteners are not graded. I'm not a big guy (5'11" / 190). I'm surprised they lasted this long, actually.

cjl71178: Thanks, I'm getting around better now.

ermghoti: Thanks, but IMO Tama customer service was the best avenue for this; I didn't feel I should have to get a research grant to find out whom to contact.

FFFF: Actually in my opinion, the HT741 throne is one of the best out there. At ~$170 retail, it's definitely not a "lower end" throne. I love the throne, but it grates me that Tama used such cheap hardware in a upper-end product.

SRJ

I had one of these thrones, only with the motorcyle style seat. I sold it a few months ago and I hope that this sort of thing doesn't happened to the guy who bought it.

I hated the throne. It never felt sturdy to me like it was always going to tip over and the seat itself did seem to have some movement or give at the shaft connection.

I had one of these thrones, only with the motorcyle style seat. I sold it a few months ago and I hope that this sort of thing doesn't happened to the guy who bought it.

I hated the throne. It never felt sturdy to me like it was always going to tip over and the seat itself did seem to have some movement or give at the shaft connection.

Yep, that's the feeling. You can either tighten it to the point that it feels stable (and has no rotational motion), or keep it loosened so it swivels. I chose to keep it tightened securely by hand...

Point your guy at this thread, or give him a call.

I've always been very pleased with the ergonomics of my HT741 throne. However,
I recently had an incident occur that I feel important enough to share with my fellow drummers:

I had not been terribly thrilled with the "Sit tight" design of the seat bracket. It does not fit securely onto the plastic "bushing" provided unless it is tightened very strongly by hand. I think Tama designed the bracket this way to allow one to use the seat on other manufacturer's seat bases.

Over time, I have found that the seat mounting bracket becomes loose. When the seat bracket is tight, very little rotational movement is present in the seat. Initially, I had checked to ensure the bracket, or "Sit tight" was evenly torqued across its' ends. It was, so I assumed (and verified) that the plastic bushing was wearing slightly, and this would account for the need to re-tighten the seat bracket.

I was wrong.

Half way into rehearsal, the non-graded metric bolts used in the "Sit tight" assembly sheared, and I fell to the concrete floor, injuring my lower back. Upon inspection of the fasteners, I have concluded that the bolts themselves were stretching to the point of failure.

I have since replaced the metric hardware with 10.9 graded fasteners.

FWIW, I sent Tama a polite email regarding this issue on June 7, and haven't received a response.

They probably think I'm just another wacko looking a for a settlement.

Oh well, it is what it is.

SRJ

First, sorry to hear of your back injury! I hope that you get well quickly and fully! I used to be a die hard Tama fan, but it became apparent that they are a company of jerks who only care about getting your money! As I have stated on this forum and others, Tama's hardware is junk and anyone who buys their stands is only going to end up throwing good money after bad!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Yep, that's the feeling. You can either tighten it to the point that it feels stable (and has no rotational motion), or keep it loosened so it swivels. I chose to keep it tightened securely by hand...

Point your guy at this thread, or give him a call.

I would but unfortunately I don't know how to get in touch with him. His friend contacted me through Ebay and got me in touch with him because I was selling a whole kit at the time that he was interested in.

I guess I can just wish him the best of luck. I used it for years and didn't have a problem with anything breaking so hopefully the trend continues with him.

I used to be a die hard Tama fan, but it became apparent that they are a company of jerks who only care about getting your money! As I have stated on this forum and others, Tama's hardware is junk and anyone who buys their stands is only going to end up throwing good money after bad!

Mike

I don't use their thrones, but the rest of my hardware is Tama and I've been happy with their stuff for many many years. The only problem I've ever had with their stuff is the iron cobra double pedal connecting rods. They've finally changed them to fit (like DW's) the pedals perfectly. I'm just trying to get a replacement one from them and I sent another email. But their response to customers is becoming horrible.

To be honest, I am 100% happy with my CB stool :D

I had not been terribly thrilled with the "Sit tight" design of the seat bracket. It does not fit securely onto the plastic "bushing" provided unless it is tightened very strongly by hand....

Ooops! There should have been an instruction paper that came with the Tama throne. The paper clearly states not to tighten the clamp on the 'plastic bushing'. The plastic bushing is to be used 'only' if the drummer wants the seat top to move/swivle while playing, no other reason. I would think common sense would prevail when you see the plastic bushing getting crushed (which it does) when you tighten down the clamp, but as said before...common sense isn't so common.

I have stripped the wing nut on the seat clamp of Tama thrones (8mm). Tama doesn't just sell the wing nut and or bolt seperatly, they make you buy the whole assembly (see Tama parts). Gibraltar sells 8mm wing nuts (2 in a pack for around $5) that do the job nicely.

Half way into rehearsal, the non-graded metric bolts used in the "Sit tight" assembly sheared.....

What most likely happend here is the wing nut stripped, not the bolt. The wing nut has less threads and thos threads are weaker than the bolt threads. The bolt is steel and the wing nut is pot metal, not very thick either.

Tama probably just sees you as another wacko who didn't read (all) the directions and warnings, you would lose in court. Glad your ok from the fall, I was lucky and didn't fall. I was not useing the plastic bushing, tho I did make a jerking motion which caused the nut to fail, it should have held though I agree.

The main posts on most throns are too small for people over the 15 stone mark, especially sitting near the edge of the larger seat top's (which we have every right to be doing). Once the main post (on Tama anyway... 22mm) get's extended 6.5" or more, heavy weights can feel the post bending slightly, not a good feeling.

Last edited:
I had not been terribly thrilled with the "Sit tight" design of the seat bracket. It does not fit securely onto the plastic "bushing" provided unless it is tightened very strongly by hand....

Ooops! There should have been an instruction paper that came with the Tama throne. The paper clearly states not to tighten the clamp on the 'plastic bushing'. The plastic bushing is to be used 'only' if the drummer wants the seat top to move/swivle while playing, no other reason. I would think common sense would prevail when you see the plastic bushing getting crushed (which it does) when you tighten down the clamp, but as said before...common sense isn't so common.

I have stripped the wing nut on the seat clamp of Tama thrones (8mm). Tama doesn't just sell the wing nut and or bolt seperatly, they make you buy the whole assembly (see Tama parts). Gibraltar sells 8mm wing nuts (2 in a pack for around $5) that do the job nicely.

Half way into rehearsal, the non-graded metric bolts used in the "Sit tight" assembly sheared.....

What most likely happend here is the wing nut stripped, not the bolt. The wing nut has less threads and thos threads are weaker than the bolt threads. The bolt is steel and the wing nut is pot metal, not very thick either.

Tama probably just sees you as another wacko who didn't read (all) the directions and warnings, you would lose in court. Glad your ok from the fall, I was lucky and didn't fall. I was not useing the plastic bushing, tho I did make a jerking motion which caused the nut to fail, it should have held though I agree.

The main posts on most throns are too small for people over the 15 stone mark, especially sitting near the edge of the larger seat top's (which we have every right to be doing). Once the main post (on Tama anyway... 22mm) get's extended 6.5" or more, heavy weights can feel the post bending slightly, not a good feeling.

: ) I don't agree with any of your statements, except this:

You're right; common sense is not....perhaps you should have read the manual before you implied my lack of common sense:

Take note of "Setup" part #4: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/products/hardware/manual/1st_chair.pdf

I'm thinking that if I can maintain/repair Linear Accelerators and build >1200 HP engines as a hobby, I'm probably good to go mechanically, but I respect your right to an opinion.

I never wanted to pursue this in court. Product liability cases are brutally expensive and time consuming; All I wanted is for Tama to address this issue to prevent injury to others in the future.

To date, I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm fine with that, but I wanted folks on the forum to know about my issue if Tama wasn't going to respond.

SRJ

Take note of "Setup" part #4: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/prod.../1st_chair.pdf

This pdf doesn't address the plastic insert. The plastic bushing should have come in a separate plastic bag with an instruction/warning paper. If you bought used or didn't get it...well. It clearly states the plastic bushing is meant to give first chairs the ability to swivle while playing and is not to be tightened down. Keybord players as an example might want their seat to swivle. Some drummers might want movement also. If you don't want movement, you would not use the plastic bushing. In order to get a secure clamp, metal to metal contact is best, not a plastic bushing in this case.

So what exactaly 'stripped' on your clamp assembly? Was it the wing nut? The bolt threads? Or both? We're curious, we see rants and general posts about gear (from people with machanical aptitude we find out) like: 'The pedal broke, the screws stripped, my foot board came apart... etc.' It might be helpfull if details were provided, otherwise people may want to raise questions.

'Hey man, I was drivin my Ford and the motor busted, watch out.' as an example.

Attachments

• Tama clamp.jpg
    Tama clamp.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 4,879
Last edited:
Take note of "Setup" part #4: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/prod.../1st_chair.pdf

This pdf doesn't address the plastic insert. The plastic bushing should have come in a separate plastic bag with an instruction/warning paper. If you bought used or didn't get it...well. It clearly states the plastic bushing is meant to give first chairs the ability to swivle while playing and is not to be tightened down. Keybord players as an example might want their seat to swivle. Some drummers might want movement also. If you don't want movement, you would not use the plastic bushing. In order to get a secure clamp, metal to metal contact is best, not a plastic bushing in this case.

So what exactaly 'stripped' on your clamp assembly? Was it the wing nut? The bolt threads? Or both? We're curious, we see rants and general posts about gear (from people with machanical aptitude we find out) like: 'The pedal broke, the screws stripped, my foot board came apart... etc.' It might be helpfull if details were provided, otherwise people may want to raise questions.

'Hey man, I was drivin my Ford and the motor busted, watch out.' as an example.

LOL. Okay.

Where are you getting this information? LOL.

What? Are you telling me a ~205 lb person can bend a .858" rolled steel rod by sitting on it? Please. According to your phantom-fact logic, I guess I should've been okay, since I'm only 5"11", 188 lbs. I've been drumming for 29 years, and I've never bent a throne rod, nor have I had the hardware retaining the seat fail. Never mind the obvious engineering feat it would take to bend a .858" rod.

Technically, bushings (plastic or otherwise) are meant to allow movement, prevent abrasion, or limit space....what exactly does the plastic bushing have to do with the hardware breaking? Enlighten me, please; That's new science.

What part of my description would you prefer I clarify? LOL. You're obviously a Tama fan that has trouble with reading comprehension.

I never stated anything "stripped" on my throne. The 8mm bolts holding the seat bracket stretched to the point of breaking (along the longitudinal axis, fwiw). Did I take out my micrometer and measure the stretch of the bolts prior to tightening them? No, I didn't; I'm not usually inclined to make those kinds of measurements on something as simple as a chair. Maybe I should have, lol.

Bottom line: Change your hardware on the Tama throne model HT-741.

I'm done in here : )

SRJ

What? Are you telling me a ~205 lb person can bend a .858" rolled steel rod by sitting on it?

You need to read my post again, it says 'feel' the post bend (Flex would have been a more discriptive word). I guess I could bend it slightly over time by sitting on the edge and bouncing on it, I'm over 205 @ 235. Keep in mind the extention of the rod stated as over 6.5" out of the stand top. The higher you extend the main post the more it and the stand are inclined to flexing. A larger tube would mean more contact with the seat top, providing more stability. If I removed my post and checked it for straightness, I might find a little distortion.

Technically, bushings (plastic or otherwise) are meant to allow movement, prevent abrasion, or limit space....what exactly does the plastic bushing have to do with the hardware breaking? Enlighten me, please; That's new science.

You already stated you 're-tightened' the clamp in your original post : (It was, so I assumed (and verified) that the plastic bushing was wearing slightly, and this would account for the need to re-tighten the seat bracket).

I've already mentioned the stock wing nut is 'pot metal' and not that thick, overtightening would make the 8mm 'steel bolt' most probably rip the threads out of the 'pot metal' wing nut. Useing the plastic bushing and looking for a secure (no movement) effect on the seat top can easily cause one to overtighten. Tama warns people not to use this plastic bushing if you want a secure clamp.

I very much doubt and Iam certain the 'pot metal' wing nut's threads would fail before you streched and broke an 8mm 'steel' bolt. This is exactly what happened to me with the same seat and clamp. I replaced the wing nut with an 8mm Gibraltar wing nut which also happens to be 'pot metal', but thicker than the Tama, the threads are cut deeper and have better holding power. The 8mm 'steel' Tama bolts and their threads on my seat clamp are fine.

Im all for this warning and I'm in favor of Tama beefing up the wing nut. Until they do, don't overtighten and replace the wing nut to something thicker or harder.

To say 8mm 'steel bolts' streched and broke before the weak stock 'pot metal' wing nut gave way, just seems hard for me to believe. The pressure is on the 'pot metal nut' from the clamp. Grade 2 'steel bolt' (thinnest part unthreaded 6.7mmm) like Tama uses has a tensile strenght of around 36,000 lbs psi 8mm pot metal is going to be between 5-10,000 lbs psi. even less once drilled and tapped with small threads.

Is Tama going to think 36,000 lbs psi steel bolt safe? Probably, its the 'pot metal' nut they didn't think enough about, thats the weak link in the set up.

This thread seem to be turning into a bit of an argument, but its very enlightening.

Les Ismore was trying to persuade me to buy a Tama throne in another thread, but now Im not so keen....

Back