I have a question for you guys.

Critter

Hey fellow drummers, you know i was just wondering this its kind of strange but here goes, ive noticed this among many drummers, how many of you have plenty of upper body strength but have somewhat of a gut, i know this is true for me because drumming is probably my main source of excercise and it only targets my arms chest and legs leaving my stomach alone so it just stays the same size, haha i hope im not offending anybody i was just curious, well take care

Yeah - my mid section could use some work I guess. So my wife tells me anyway ;-)

I thinks its a function of drumming being a seated affair. Not much chance for an abs workout.

Just remember guys its never a belly, its a drummers fuel tank :)

Funny thing is, I'm a little bit on the plump side but I've actually got a healthy BMI and I'm actually quite physically fit (mainly thanks to drums) but some jogging too. Most of my bandmates are in extremely good shape but get out of breath just unpacking the car, let alone going for a run, and I'm fine.

At the end of the day its your belly so either love it or got rid of it...I love mine :p

I'm proud to say that I weigh the same now as I did in high school. All three years combined.

Hey fellow drummers, you know i was just wondering this its kind of strange but here goes, ive noticed this among many drummers, how many of you have plenty of upper body strength but have somewhat of a gut, i know this is true for me because drumming is probably my main source of excercise and it only targets my arms chest and legs leaving my stomach alone so it just stays the same size, haha i hope im not offending anybody i was just curious, well take care

*looks down*

Dang, how did you know this about me?

I'm proud to say that I weigh the same now as I did in high school. All three years combined.

OK, I just about spit my drink all over my laptop reading that one. LOL

I find that long nights of playing high-energy music is a great cardio workout. I was on tour last year with a hard rock band and we played over 2 hours every night, leaving the stage in sweaty messes.

As my fellow touring drummers know, there isn't always time to hit the gym at the hotel or go out for a run so needless to say I didn't adhere to my regular workout routine. Moreover, I figured sitting on buses and airplanes for hours a day wouldn't help. However, I LOST weight on that tour!

Also, if you're using proper technique then you don't need large amounts of upper-body strength. However, I can say with experience that being in decent shape (at least cardiovascular) helps you get through the long gigs without being shattered at the end.

Back