Another thermagloss project!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
These drums seem to fall in my lap - but I've come across and acquired another full set of Ludwig thermagloss maple drums in the Big Beat configuration.

This kit was built in the early 1980s, and the person who had them just kept them in storage! They are actually complete, the pic just shows where I'm at in the dismantling. But the drums head that were on it were stamped with a music store that used to exist in California's Inland Empire up until the mid-1980s. The phone number listed was even before they split up this part of California into several different area codes! They were Fiberskyn 2's! Wow.

I got word from a friend I work with, and then I inquired to see them. They're dirty and dusty, but there's no damage to the shells or bearing edges. They're straight 6-ply Classic Maples. The lugs are still shiny (no pitting or discoloration in the chrome). The bass drum hoops are original and seem to have aged along at the same rate as the rest of the shells.

I'm replacing the tom and floor tom leg brackets (got those today), and I found some special 16" 3/8" floor tom legs from back in the 70s. I don't need 21" floor tom legs, since I'm not that tall.

But the cleaning process is coming along (just a wet towel to get all the dirt and dust off), then I'll use chrome polish on the lugs and hoops. Get some new heads on them and gig them. I was sorta looking around for some classic Gretsch USA's in natural maple to build a Charlie Watts kit, but this is the next best thing

When this project is done and up and running I'll post more pics!

Attachments

• thermagloss-best-shot.jpg
    thermagloss-best-shot.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 246
Some kind of luck ! And you still have the big thermagloss so you can add the 18" FT.
The black plastic wing nuts are original ?

Great score. Super clean.​

See what you started? The simplicity of just a natural maple look is something I dig. It kind of draws all the attention away from the kit and puts it on the player. I'm still a sucker for a good wrap, but it's so hard to find one to stick with as attitudes change about "what is a gaudy wrap" and so forth. Natural maple, or the darker natural walnut, just seems to scream, "I came here to play".

Looking closer at these shells, although the finish is quite acceptable for 40 year old drums, they have their fair share of scuffs and bruises, it's like looking at a relic'd guitar so popular these days. But for me, the natural stain has to be older and "put through the ringer". They're way too pretty when they're new. 40 years is a good place to start to have natural maple drums.

Some kind of luck ! And you still have the big thermagloss so you can add the 18" FT.
The black plastic wing nuts are original ?

The big plastic wing nuts are original and they still work! No fatigue or anything like that. I had budgeted to replace the spur brakes and the bass drum tom mount plate, but I don't need to. The floor tom and tom brackets were wrench operated, so those had to be replaced. There doesn't appear to be any fatigue in the double tom holder either, so I can probably get away with using that when I go out two-up. But my plan was to go full-on Charlie Watts with this and use the 12" tom in a snare stand. Or the 13"....it's nice to have the option!

Sadly, I let the big thermagloss kit go as that funded the Gretsch USA kit I have. Since I got these drums so cheap, I'm gonna keep both so I have a sparkle and a natural depending on the mood.

See what you started?

You started out buying a drum kit, and now you own a shell bank.​
Looking closer at these shells, although the finish is quite acceptable for 40 year old drums, they have their fair share of scuffs and bruises, it's like looking at a relic'd guitar so popular these days. But for me, the natural stain has to be older and "put through the ringer". They're way too pretty when they're new. 40 years is a good place to start to have natural maple drums.
+1 on that. When the finish starts to checker and yellow, then you start seein' some history .....​

Last edited:
Wicked find and a fun project, but I really hope these don't replace your Gretsch USA sparkle kit.
Having a wood finish Ludwig and a sparkle wrapped Gretsch (or vice-versa) seems like a perfectly complimentary arsenal....

Amazing kit, Bo! That natural maple finish is beautiful, and it makes the drums look like furniture! Is the kick a 22” or a 24”? I looked up the big beat configuration, and it seems Ludwig sold them with either a 22 or 24.

Today's update: I actually took a wet towel to the drums to get the dust and dirt off, then quickly dried them with another thick towel and was blown away by the lustre that's been hidden under all the years of dust accumulation! The drums took on this inner shine quality, and it was hard to notice the little bits of checks in the finish here and there. Some of the lugs are indeed a little pitted, but that's ok. Everything functions well and nothing is stripped - this is going to be the ultimate thermagloss project, I think!

I'm picking up heads for it in the morning and could begin to assemble all the pieces. I thought I'd have to use chrome polish on some of the metal bits, but I don't think I have to now.

It also came with a 5x14 Acrolite snare that I cleaned up separately and installed new heads and snare wires. It seems to be from the 1970s era as well, since it has an internal muffler. It sounds quite nice!

Back