Bo shares his kit update...

I'm lefty but was taught on a right hand kit. Teacher wouldn't rearrange the kit for lessons everytime and so I was "conditioned" to play right handed ever since, who knows what kind of damage this has done...

This of course, opens up another thread and a topic of discussion about whether or not you should teach or be taught one hand or the other. And it is quite controversial. There's a thread already about it here (or several). The argument goes that a piano is made one way - so everyone learns to play it that way. Horns and woodwinds are built one way, etc.,. But there are all these other instruments that can go both ways.

I figure it was already a big decision to just learn how to play, anything. Why have a teacher force you to play one way or the other just because they don't want to accommodate you? Are they doing you any favors forcing you to play right-handed? They'll tell you that you'll be able to sit-in should the situation arise. I say if you suck because you were forcing something to happen (like playing with the wrong hand), the situation of sitting-in will never come up!

A good teacher will help you discover which way is best for you and then help you get better. I say avoid those teachers who refuse to accommodate the occasional south paw player. That's more laziness then actual teaching going on.

But anyway, glad you guys all like my kit. I joked that I didn't know how much longer those old pedals would hold out, and evidently today after my practice session, my hi-hat pedal felt quite mushy. I played with the external spring adjustment and nothing changed. I think I took them to the end of the line....dammit. Time to go shopping!

I had one of those pedals 25 years ago - it was thrown in with some other stuff I bought - couldn't fault it - fast and smooth.

Or would it be too disturbing if I took off the lugs on the resonant side of every drum and went all '70s on you guys?

Oh Lordy, I tried that recently at practice because I was fixing one of the spurs on my BD. I don't know how that sad THUP THUP was ever considered good. I love my reso head.

As for the new gear Bo, Red thinks that your pedal looks like the older brother to a Trick Throwoff. I'll bet its just as durable too. The KB pedal came up in a thread a while back and after researching it I was curious to try one out. They don't seem to pop up on Ebay too often though...

How difficult would you say it is to get properly dialed in?

Oh Lordy, I tried that recently at practice because I was fixing one of the spurs on my BD. I don't know how that sad THUP THUP was ever considered good. I love my reso head.

As for the new gear Bo, Red thinks that your pedal looks like the older brother to a Trick Throwoff. I'll bet its just as durable too. The KB pedal came up in a thread a while back and after researching it I was curious to try one out. They don't seem to pop up on Ebay too often though...

How difficult would you say it is to get properly dialed in?

Oddly enough, for me, the pedal feels good when you loosen the spring all the way out. When it's tightened up, even now after 30+ years, it's still too much. So I have it as loose as I can get it.

But the one disappointing thing I experienced over this weekend: the old Titan hi-hat stand went mushy on me during a rehearsal! I think there's something wrong with that internal spring. Damn!

Keep looking on eBay - there's a couple of guys who have the King Beats.

But the one disappointing thing I experienced over this weekend: the old Titan hi-hat stand went mushy on me during a rehearsal! I think there's something wrong with that internal spring. Damn!
The reason why my old Titan is now a tom stand is because of the spring adjuster.
I hated everything about it. It was weird right from day one.
You have to turn the adjuster counter clockwise to tighten the spring??? I always loosens up all by itself.
Weird!!!

The reason why my old Titan is now a tom stand is because of the spring adjuster.
I hated everything about it. It was weird right from day one.
You have to turn the adjuster counter clockwise to tighten the spring??? I always loosens up all by itself.
Weird!!!

Hmm. Don't know what it is, and I probably don't want to waste any money or time on it (I got it for $40 anyway). So to continue my disdain for DW, I'm going shopping!

I am totally satisfied with my Cobra Lever Glide. I have had it for a few years now
I also like my Road Pro.

If it's just a bigger footboard you want, why not get a 5000 footbard and put it on the 3500 you have?
THOSE screws should come out fine, and the one connecting to the chain is easily removed.

I am totally satisfied with my Cobra Lever Glide. I have had it for a few years now

Those look good, but I'm not sure how much I want to spend. The Tama Roadpro looks nice and simple, and as beefy as the DW hat - without that stupid plate under the pedal. Just over a $100. That might be a better option for me. But I'm looking. Some of that Sonor stuff is intriguing.

I have a Sonor 100. It is pretty good. It doesn't go very high.
It works perfect for me when I set it to max height.
The 200 is prob the way to go.
I use the 100 on my Safari kit.

I also have Roadpro

If it's just a bigger footboard you want, why not get a 5000 footbard and put it on the 3500 you have?
THOSE screws should come out fine, and the one connecting to the chain is easily removed.

Nah. The entire 3500 hi hat is a little flimsy for me. I like the 1 1/8" base tube and 1" upper tube on the hat - that's the stand that needs it most. My complaint about the DW5500 is that they're putting that stupid pedal plate on there now even though you still have three legs. How dumb is that? Looking at the numbers, the Tama RoadPro (HH75WN) has the size and bulk, and just a radius rod for the pedal. And it doesn't weigh as much as the DW5500, and only costs an arm. Not an arm-and-another-arm.

But the Pearl H-900 looks good too. I can't neglect checking out the Yamaha stuff, either.

It's funny that you think it feels flimsy, when I'm the one going all "Tommy Lee" on it, beating the crap out of the 2 leg version in a heavy rock band haha!
Of course, the 2 legger does have a plate....

I just looked on the DW site..... No "plateless" stand at all other than the 3500 you have, & the 7000 single brace.
They probably stopped getting enough orders for one that just folds up to keep offering it.
"People" must think the plate one is "better".

The bad thing about those plates is you have to secure it for the stand to REALLY be sturdy. You can't really leave it "just loose enough" to fold it up or bring it down.
The thing will bounce a little.

I have a tall trap case, & mine just goes in by only folding the legs.
I can't imagine the PITA of taking a hat stand all apart like I see a bunch of my friends do.

I have the older 5000 3 leg with no plate. The thing I don't dig about that stand is the "floating" spring. Other than that, it's cool. The 5000 is a very sturdy feeling stand I agree.

The Delta hinge from that stand is on my first "3500" two legger...which was under the 5000 series number when I got it...so it IS possible to get the screws out! (haha!)

I did see the 6000 strap drive would be like the one I liked before.....hmmmmmm...I also have an older plate....Yeah, like I need to buy anything else....

It's funny that you think it feels flimsy, when I'm the one going all "Tommy Lee" on it, beating the crap out of the 2 leg version in a heavy rock band haha!
Of course, the 2 legger does have a plate....

I just looked on the DW site..... No "plateless" stand at all other than the 3500 you have, & the 7000 single brace.
They probably stopped getting enough orders for one that just folds up to keep offering it.
"People" must think the plate one is "better".

The bad thing about those plates is you have to secure it for the stand to REALLY be sturdy. You can't really leave it "just loose enough" to fold it up or bring it down.
The thing will bounce a little.

I have a tall trap case, & mine just goes in by only folding the legs.
I can't imagine the PITA of taking a hat stand all apart like I see a bunch of my friends do.

I have the older 5000 3 leg with no plate. The thing I don't dig about that stand is the "floating" spring. Other than that, it's cool. The 5000 is a very sturdy feeling stand I agree.

The Delta hinge from that stand is on my first "3500" two legger...which was under the 5000 series number when I got it...so it IS possible to get the screws out! (haha!)

I did see the 6000 strap drive would be like the one I liked before.....hmmmmmm...I also have an older plate....Yeah, like I need to buy anything else....

Yeah, I've done the whole Tommy Lee thing on a Tama Stagemaster single-braced hi-hat stand. And the DW3500 feels just like it (I still keep the Stagemaster as a spare), so I'm looking for a slight upgrade, but not the ultra-grade to the DW plate special.

Just got back from the local Sam Ash and I think the Tama RoadPro will get the nod. It falls right in between the DW and the DW3500 by having the DW-sized tubing and bracing, but no pedal plate! The Pearl H-900 was close, but the upper tube is really thin and it doesn't come with a memory lock (apparently Pearl still trusts the wing nut to hold it in place).

Back