NEW Ludwig Club Date VS Legacy Maple

drums1977

Hi guys,

just wondering something. If you look at the features of the new club dates and the legacy maples, they are very similar. LM are three layers (plus reinforcement ring), CB are 7 layers (no r. rings), both maple-poplar-maple. Although the amount of layers is different, the total thicknes is almost identical 6,6mm VS 6,4mm. What I mean is that the amount, build and type of wood (apart from the reinforcement rings) is very similar. The CB have rounded bearing edges, and the Legacies are in theory 30 degrees. If you read the shell sheet of the Legacies, the edge of the actual shell (without the ring), is also round. It is the reinforcement ring which is cut at 30 degrees:

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/legacy-maple

What I am wondering is, how sonically different are these drums if the actual contruction is so similar?? Has anyone had the chance of trying them both? Funny thing is that the club dates cost half the money!

Thanks for your help!

Hey, that was my theory, yes, althought the legacy magogany being magogany-poplar-mahogany and the legacy maple being maple-poplar-maple, just like the CDs, wouldn't it make more sense they sound similar to the LMs? Anyone have actually played those drums?

What I am wondering is, how sonically different are these drums if the actual contruction is so similar??

You may be downplaying the construction differences a bit much. Even though the total thickness is similar, there is no reason to expect three thicker plies to sound the same as seven thinner plies. As an extreme argument, try knocking on a 2-inch think piece of solid wood, and then on a 2-inch thick stack of plywood. Those likely won't sound the same. And that's even before considering the difference that the reinforcing ring makes to the stiffness of the shells. The construction of those two kits seems pretty dissimilar to me.

Last edited:
Yes you are right, they are quite different, but a bit similar aswell. It's interesting that the guy from that store on YouTube compares the CD to the legacy though. I see your point about the several layers but I also believe that having two different wood densities in the shell will provide a specific sonic quality, as compared for instance with the classic maples, that are made solely of maple. I own both a ser of classic maples and a set of legacy mahoganies, and they are very different drums indeed. I have the theory that the club dates should in theory be closer to the legacies than to the CM, but I have never had the chance to compare them. Any other experiences?

The number of plies, the reinforcement rings, and the hardware placement all play a part in the difference in sound between the two lines. But the edges are different, and that makes the biggest difference.

The Club Dates have a full roundover for more head-shell contact, which allows more of the fundamental note to come through, and also diminishes the attack somewhat.

The Legacy Maple have about 1/2 of the roundover, so there's a nice balance of fundamental and attack.

Compare those to the Classic Maple, which has a fairly sharp edge and a clean attack.

Consider also that constantly-improving head technology offers various sound options for any edge. A clear head accentuates attack, a coated 2-ply accentuates the fundamental, etc. That's not to say that a Club Date with one head will sound just like the Legacy Maple with another head. But it does mean that the lower-priced Ludwigs can compete well with the higher-priced lines. Taken a step further, the new Neusonics are the least expensive of all the US lines, and I think they compete well with the Classic Maples. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:
The number of plies, the reinforcement rings, and the hardware placement all play a part in the difference in sound between the two lines. But the edges are different, and that makes the biggest difference.

The Club Dates have a full roundover for more head-shell contact, which allows more of the fundamental note to come through, and also diminishes the attack somewhat.

The Legacy Maple have about 1/2 of the roundover, so there's a nice balance of fundamental and attack.

Compare those to the Classic Maple, which has a fairly sharp edge and a clean attack.

Consider also that constantly-improving head technology offers various sound options for any edge. A clear head accentuates attack, a coated 2-ply accentuates the fundamental, etc. That's not to say that a Club Date with one head will sound just like the Legacy Maple with another head. But it does mean that the lower-priced Ludwigs can compete well with the higher-priced lines. Taken a step further, the new Neusonics are the least expensive of all the US lines, and I think they compete well with the Classic Maples. :)

Bermuda

Thanks so much Bermuda! I watched the review of the new CD by the drummer of the war on drugs, and he stresses how easy the drums are to tune. I own a ProBeat set of Legacy Magonanies and that exact feature really impressed me the first time I set them up. They basically sound good nearly always. It takes 5 minutes to make them sing, and no muffling is needed for a classic sound. With the Classic maples, I find myself struggling with overtones more often than with the legacy set. What do you think? Have you had the chance of testing the new clubdates, tuning them, etc?

Thanks again for your help!

You may be downplaying the construction differences a bit much. Even though the total thickness is similar, there is no reason to expect three thicker plies to sound the same as seven thinner plies. As an extreme argument, try knocking on a 2-inch think piece of solid wood, and then on a 2-inch thick stack of plywood. Those likely won't sound the same. And that's even before considering the difference that the reinforcing ring makes to the stiffness of the shells. The construction of those two kits seems pretty dissimilar to me.
More Plys = more adhesive. So the thickness is similar but the tonality is not.

Back