Led Zeppelin: Fleshing Out Stairway to Heaven

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Just found this short video that I thought you'd enjoy with Zeppelin rehearsing and learning Stairway at Headley Grange.

Cool stuff!!

It sure makes me feel a hell of a lot better knowing that superstars practice and learn songs like the rest of us mortals and don't always sound like geniuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfZ2b3JyE8I

Just found this short video that I thought you'd enjoy with Zeppelin rehearsing and learning Stairway at Headley Grange.

Cool stuff!!

It sure makes me feel a hell of a lot better knowing that superstars practice and learn songs like the rest of us mortals and don't always sound like geniuses.

Nice find! Cool video.

A trip back in time. I enjoyed this.

Awesome....I enjoyed that, as I do anything Zep and especially behind the scenes stuff. Thanks for posting. Sweet place

Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome place to rehearse! Wasn't stairway to heaven the song that the audience didn't like when they first started playing it live? I remember watching something about how it was too laid back and caught the audience off guard. People were wanting the harder rocking songs until it became one of the most played songs on the radio.

Cool stuff!!

Practice/learn songs like the rest of us mortals and don't always sound like geniuses?

They're creating the song, not learning like a cover, so yeah they sound geniuses, their own form of geniuses... opening chords 1963

How cool is that? Rock gods creating one of the most played songs on the radio. Apparently Jimmy had big problems coming up with the solo for the final album version. Nice to know even a genius has creative blocks and doubts.

they look like a couple of long hair garage band guys until you see the Rolls Royce parked out front.

Everyone sounded pretty good except bonzo. I wonder if they had more time with it than he did at this point. The point where there's that big sharp crescendo(right before the big change in the studio version) sounded like he didn't expect it coming.

Still cool, but I bet he'd be pissed if he found out we were listening to that.

It's funny, my current guitar player does that to me all the time. He'll be working on a song all night, then bring it to me at practice the next day and after showing me one time he busts out the phone and hits record... So he has all these recordings on his phone of the very first ideas I had to all his grooves. Then he goes around showing people his ideas which have my first go ideas on them, some of which don't work and don't make it to my final parts...

Everyone sounded pretty good except bonzo. I wonder if they had more time with it than he did at this point. The point where there's that big sharp crescendo(right before the big change in the studio version) sounded like he didn't expect it coming.

Still cool, but I bet he'd be pissed if he found out we were listening to that.

It's funny, my current guitar player does that to me all the time. He'll be working on a song all night, then bring it to me at practice the next day and after showing me one time he busts out the phone and hits record... So he has all these recordings on his phone of the very first ideas I had to all his grooves. Then he goes around showing people his ideas which have my first go ideas on them, some of which don't work and don't make it to my final parts...

Man I hate that. I used to be in a band whereby we'd just written a song and they're like "right, forwards to the studio!". And in something that is half-time with a real complex groove, that is annoying

Something I was wondering about the bit at 5:49 of Stairway where Bonzo comes back in with a bar groove and a bar fill setting up the guitar solo. It always threw me (counting wise) when listening to it, from where he hits the crash after the floor tom hits, to where he hits the snare, the counting seemed weird. So it turns out to be a 7/8 bar where he plays three hits on the floor tom and he hits the crash on beat 7. So before I knew it was a 7/8 bar, I was hearing it as a crash on beat 1 following what I thought was another 3/4 bar like the one they play a few bars earlier. Anyway, it all makes sense now. There's an article on it here showing that 7/8 bar. I was wondering if anyone thinks Bonzo was hearing that bar as 7/8?

http://www.guitarplayer.com/lessons/1014/play-stairway-to-heaven-the-right-way/49169

Back