Rockin' the GoPro!

M

Matt Bo Eder

So as some of you know, my Zoom Q3HD is up for sale. It hasn't sold yet, but that didn't stop me from getting the GoPro, and it's quite exciting. I'm looking forward to streamlining how I work on a video, and to being able to put out higher quality video. So this last week has been spent trying different things and seeing how the camera works. Stay tuned for any new videos I put out - I'm sure they'll look great.

But I discovered, if you're in the market for a GoPro - just go to the store and buy the camera, and maybe a second battery and an SD card if you need it. I almost made the mistake of buying all the necessary mounts for it while I was in the store. That would've been an expensive mistake! GoPro charges an arm and a leg for that stuff because that's what they know makes the camera itself cool. It's like printer manufacturers knowing they're gonna make all their profit off of you with the ink and paper you have to continually buy!

I decided to go to Amazon.com and I punched in, "GoPro mounts", and literally all of these kits came up with everything you need, and I got a set of that stuff for $30! The quality is the same (it's all plastic) and it works great.

I got everything I needed except for the dog harness. That I had to order separately ;)

So I look forward to cranking out better video now. Stay tuned!

Ya - lots of stuff is like that. Aftermarket goodies can be just as good, sometimes better than OEM stuff.

Now you can give us a first person view of all the Disneyland rides - LOL.

Ya - lots of stuff is like that. Aftermarket goodies can be just as good, sometimes better than OEM stuff.

Now you can give us a first person view of all the Disneyland rides - LOL.

TBH - other than shooting drum videos, I hadn't given much thought on what I'd do with it. The dog mount was my wife's idea, and that might be pretty cool - providing the dog doesn't mind wearing it.

But I've got the chest harness, a head harness, a clip-on mount, a selfie stick - all this stuff came in a box today, but what I was happiest about was getting the standard tripod mount since to me, it's a camera, and that's where I know for sure I'd be mounting it - on a standard tripod!

I suppose this could be a good lesson in thinking 'outside the box' for my photography. The thing actually takes great still photos from what I've seen so far. It'd be funny if I did a photo shoot with it, and left my DSLR's at home. I might try that.

I was thinking of getting a zoom... do the gopro have better mics than the zoom? or are you using external audio? Just looking at basement recording.. nothing serious..

Look forward to seeing how this goes. I'm using my iPhone to record my videos and, whilst it's is working out ok all things considered, it could be better. That and I use my iPhone for a metronome app.

Toyed with getting a clone SJCAM which, for the money, are pretty darned good. However the sound is not as good on them as the GoPro: http://youtu.be/0k0azk-ZpsI

I was thinking of getting a zoom... do the gopro have better mics than the zoom? or are you using external audio? Just looking at basement recording.. nothing serious..

I'm told the audio on the Hero 4 is much improved but I've never used earlier GoPros so I couldn't say how much better. I'm sure as a standard camcorder the audio should be decent, but for my music purposes I'm using external audio anyway. What I really wanted was a really good picture and exceptional shooting in low light, two things my Zoom doesn't do well.

Here's a clip of a Hero 3 Silver. The sound is okay for a little camera and has a bit of lo-fi punch. I'm sure the Hero 4 is even better.
This is a short clip of my band learning a new song before recording it.
https://youtu.be/T1cliflbIHM

I just got a GoPro as well - convinced the significant other that we "needed" it for our business (run an academy that teaches folks how to be dog trainers...) but of course in actual fact I just wanted it for meself!!!! Still gotta find some spare time to sit down and mess about with it.

Got to say, modern small digital recording cameras really do get some very impressive picture quality. GoPros are great. I record video with my iPhone (audio is always recorded separately) and it surprises me no end with the quality I get - especially if I'm recording still objects.

Looking forward to the new footage!

Back