Measuring Drum Heads

Njdrumma

So ive decided that i am going to but new heads. If i use a taperule and measure the dream head not starting from the metalpart on the head but on the front end is that the correctplace to start the measurment??

Um by measuring you won't get an exact measurement

i know i seem like a comeplete idiot but i am serious

Ehh. Didn't know if it was someone messin around. I never thought about what your asking because I always knew the drum sizes. If you really don't know what your sizes are, take the heads off and take them to the store when your ready to buy new heads. How about a picture of your set up?

Just get a tape measure and measure the inside diameter of the rims on your drum and it should be pretty close to an even number of inches, if not, just round to the closest inch. That is the size of the head you need.

Probably a better idea to take your used heads in to the shop, or take the rims off your drums (the metal hoops) and find heads that fit into each of them.

The guy in the shop should help you out anyway, but I'd suggest taking your used heads. He'd probably help you tune your drums too, if you ask nicely.

Back