Will a DW tom holder fit a Tama tom?

kranog

Howdy folks,
I tried searching the forums already but only found a DW/Mapex question.

Does anyone know if a DW tom holder will work on a Tama tom.
I only ask as Tama don't seem to make a single tom holder clamp like this one;
http://www.thomann.de/ie/dw_991.htm

They only make an actual holder and a separate clamp.

Cheers,

If I recall, the actual arm that the DW drum mounts onto is slightly larger than the size used for Tama (10.5 vs 12 or 12.5). So there is a chance the Tama tom bracket won't fit the DW arm diameter.

Luckily, you could always get the mount pictured, and swap out for a different ball-arm if you have to. I think the Tama will open up wide enough to fit the larger diameter arm since my Tamas seem to be closing all the way to clamp around the Tama arm to begin with!

Thanx Bo...
I'd need to get the Tama L bar and ball joint to fit into the DW though wouldn't I?
Best this to do is to take a trip to my local store and just try it out before I order anything! :)

Thanx Bo...
I'd need to get the Tama L bar and ball joint to fit into the DW though wouldn't I?
Best this to do is to take a trip to my local store and just try it out before I order anything! :)

Yes, that would be the smart thing to do. Good thing is the ball end from pretty much everybody is the same size. Gibraltar, Sonor, Tama, DW, Yamaha...I haven't found a ball that wouldn't fit yet! Good luck!

BTW - what's so wrong with the Tama way to mount a tom? I think having the clamp, and then the arm would allow you more flexibility. At least that's what I discovered as I mounted my Tama toms to boom cymbal stands. I had to be able to get the stand far enough away so the cymbal wouldn't mount too close to me while keeping the tom where I originally wanted it.

Ah...the only tom arm I have is the one for the bass drum and it's very heavy so the clamp is having a hard time holding onto it, plus, I prefer the neat look of a smaller clamp arm direct onto the stand and let the boom arm take care of the cymbal distance issue.
It's just a personal preference I guess mate!

Just a note from personal experience....

While the DW L arm is definitely much bigger than the Tama, the brackets on the tom holders - at least the old-style Star-Cast mounts that didn't fit as tight around the drum - can still accommodate the DW arm. The bracket must be opened up much farther than normal to fit initially but it does close down and hold just fine.

I can grab a photo if there are skeptics. :)

Just a note from personal experience....

While the DW L arm is definitely much bigger than the Tama, the brackets on the tom holders - at least the old-style Star-Cast mounts that didn't fit as tight around the drum - can still accommodate the DW arm. The bracket must be opened up much farther than normal to fit initially but it does close down and hold just fine.

I can grab a photo if there are skeptics. :)

I believe you! My Starclassic brackets tend to tighten down all the way on the Tama arms. I may put bigger diameter L-rod arms on my stands to combat this!

Back