Superkick2 question.

Bull

Gold Member
I have been using one for several months but it seems like a very quiet head. I like the sound but can't get a lot of volume out of it. I have heard other people talk about this,as well. Are Superkick 1s any louder?

short answer = no. I tried both SKII and SKI, and quickly decided these are not for me (I do like Aquarian tom heads tho).
In my quest for my bass drum sound, I ended up with good ole coated Ambassador batter, and a felt strip.

The SKI and II heads like to be cranked up tight before they produce higher volumes but they are not as loud as more open heads like the Emp. That is the nature of the beast as they say.
Have you tried a Remo PS3 or PS4? That may be a solution for you.

I have used a PS4 in the past. The SK2 just seems to have more bottom on my ported kick.It will be mic'ed 90% of the time .I guess it isn't a big deal. I might just go back to the wood beater.

Do you add muffling in the drum? I love the SK2. I have a Kickport in the reso and no muffling in the drum. The SK2 is plenty muffled. I get a lot of volume to go with the low end the SK2 provides. Volume isn't a big issue if it's going to be mic'd.

Bull, I had the same experience as you when it comes to the Superkick. It was quieter, and I found it very generic and one-dimensional sounding. I couldn't tolerate it, lol.

I understand why people do like them - they produce a usable sound very easily, a sound that is very easy to mic up. It just sounds too bland and boxy to me, though.

The Force 1 heads sound good if you want to stick with Aquarian. Much like a PS3, perhaps a little livelier.

No, I don't add any additional muffling. It sounds meatier with my ported reso than the PS4. I liked the PS4 quite a bit with and unported Ambassador up front.

Back