10 Best Drum Songs to Learn as a Beginner

I consider myself a little out of the ordinary because I never took lessons. For whatever reason picking things up by ear is just how I play. Even today, 20 years later I basically practice constantly in my head. If I can work out a riff or fill in my head it only takes a few minutes to get it to my hands once I sit down at the kit. Perfecting it and applying it might take a little longer though.

With that said, i remember clearly how I started. Every thing below is within roughly the first year or two of playing. I took inspiration from many many drummers since the beginning but thought I would share exactly how I laid down the ground work.

Step One - Taught myself the basics through listening to Bush (While not exactly basic rock beats the fundamentals are there so I was on my way fast once I mastered most of their songs. Well, at the time it was probably more like mastered a decent attempt at playing most of their song)

Step two - Taught myself rudiments by listening to 311 (double strokes came a few years later but I did figure out myself how to apply the up down technique on the hat for 16th notes etc by listening to Chad. Once the doubles came in a little later i looked back on 311 and suddenly opened a whole new world)

Step three - I learned to separate my hands from my feet from listening to Godsmack. Specifically the song I'm doing the best that i can. I remember the 3 hours straight in my garage playing that beat until I could do it.

And lastly Step Four - Once I heard Carter from DMB I was hooked. Syncopation, use of cymbals for more than just crashing. Almost everything he plays likely helped carve out my style today.

I was learning 'Knocking on heavens door' , cover of a Dylan then Hendrix song by Cold Chisel when a mate knocked on the door and said his bands drummer was out, and in desperation could I do a gig. Bluffing I got through it, and very quickly learnt from being thrown in the deep end to 'wing it" albeit with one beat under my hat as best as I could and learning some new songs very quickly at a gig.
The band folded soon after, but the exposure got me further work and started my lifetime of drumming and learning, I guess just find songs that you like, are easy time keepers, and progress from there.

My Drum teacher has me on these three which are quite enjoyable.

Turn this Car Around by Tom Petty. I think this song is great for me as beginner to learn basic fills and seamless switching to a basic bridge groove

Green Onions by Booker T and MG's. Very fun and easy

Rebel, Rebel by David Bowie, we started on this last night..

Back