Resonant heads -difference in sound?

Grace :)

Hi
im looking into getting some new resonant heads for my toms. Im currently playing g2 coated heads over the stock heads. And im looking into g1 clear reso heads...but theyre pretty expensive and was just wondering how much sound difference they make? I know batters make a huge difference but is it worth changing the resos? (i dont micup the kit or anything like that)

thanks

Often times stock heads are thin and cheap and stretch out which means that you have to put more tension on them to get them to resonate freely, or sing out. The problem is that at this tension, the pitch is higher than where you probably want it. So to match your batter-side tension, for example, you'd have to crank your batter-side head higher to match the reso side. It is possible to tune the reso heads a fourth or fifth higher than the batter side, but this can get complicated to get initially, and even more vexing to maintain.

For this reason, it's a good idea to swap the stock reso's for some G1s or Ambs so you can get a nice even resonance at a lower tuning.

Grace, try looking for some head packs. They will bundle 10, 12, 14" heads and it's like getting a free head, Interstate Music does this. Evans G1 clear, my first choice of resos.
They even have a 10,12,16 prepack. I lucked out because that's what I use.

Back