Drum heads and consistency

vegassuper

I am gradually replacing the heads on my kit for the first time. I recently put a Jack DeJohnette head on my snare and I really like the sound. Am I wrong to assume I should put the same heads on the toms to keep the sound consistent? If not please offer some other suggestions. My musical tastes run from jazz to r&b and funk. I generally prefer warm, mid range tones. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I am gradually replacing the heads on my kit for the first time. I recently put a Jack DeJohnette head on my snare and I really like the sound. Am I wrong to assume I should put the same heads on the toms to keep the sound consistent? .

No you do not have to match them up. As for what you should use? I cannot tell you how to sound.There are many varied heads on the market. If you want long lasting heads, go for 2 ply. More resonant heads? Single ply. Warm heads? Coated. More plasic sounding? Uncoated.

Nope but it might help.

Don't quote me on this but I even think some manufacturers make each drum differently to contribute to the overall sound of the drum set (Pearl Reference?). It is definitely safe to assume that you should get the same heads...but I wouldn't be limited to that.

I think most people use the same heads on toms but might use a different head for snare and almost always use a different head for the bass drum. I would not worry about using a different snare head. Check out the artist profiles on the manufactures web sites to see what they are using. I think alot of jazz and funk players use single ply coated for toms.

For a more midrange tone I would recommend the remo suede heads. white or black is up to you

Back