Online Piracy Finally In the Crosshairs

• Thread starter drumming sort of person
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! And people wonder why I get heated...
That was clever how you ignored all the actual content of the posts and snipped weird sections, none of which were insults towards you.

I think it's fairly obvious now why you've taken this position. You were unable to get anywhere as a musician and have a huge chip on your shoulder. You now feel that every other musician should suffer and LOVE how Google/Apple/Spotify et al are raping musicians.
I know, you'd rather we go back to recording giants raping musicians. It's also clear your reading comprehension could use some work. I've consistently advocated other, much more realistic ways for artists to make money in the new economy and reality.

You can spout all you want. I am confident that the RIGHT people will conspire to enact changes to the benefit of artists.
Your confidence is not based on the reality we're in. You'll fail just as hard as kuerig did. Just as hard as secuROM did, just as hard as all the other attempts to control people's media on their own devices. It will fail and basically already has. It's invasive to privacy, won't work, We don't want, or need it, and it won't be accepted or adopted anywhere near enough for it to matter.

You can go ahead and work in your server room (actually, you are clearly spending more time on this forum than doing any work. Tough job you have) while REAL musicians are in the trenches fighting for their rights.
Sounds good. You can go back to your pretend effective DRM software delusion.

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/

Hi. I'm a real musician.

Move with the times, adapt or become a dickhead..

ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!... sorry i stole some of your content.. "Googles Vision Statement" is to organise and provide the worlds information in one click. World Poverty and Hunger is not mentioned. But hey we are all moving past that ? Move on!

Attachments

• 20770193_1360732180646590_5145579224063262755_n.jpg
    20770193_1360732180646590_5145579224063262755_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Never sure what to do with these threads. They tend to have the same theme, even if the topic is interesting.

1st party: I feel really strongly about a topic. The world should be commissioned to stop x immediately.

2nd party: Not sure that would work, because x...

1st party: your an idiot for not thinking like I do, because I'm superior and have superior brain powers and have a critical job that makes me an expert, even though I keep replying and wasting my employers resources, who by the way is a big bad conglomerate and steals my valuable ideas, but I don't care, because my thinking is superior and you have small testicles.

Never know if I should laugh or cry! Before someone gets their thong wodded up, it's a general statement and how things seem to go with these type threads. Just saying....

What did you say? I think all of those individual words were blocked by the magical DRM.

Not to fear, if that magic DRM doesn't work, per the OP's suggestions, we can simply convert the forum to an approval only platform. That way before any post becomes public it can be checked against a useless, way-behind database/list of copyrighted content and we can be sure (well, not really) that by the time it's finally reviewed and posted, there will be no infringement and no "artists" will be "harmed" by someone seeing their work without permission or money. The last thing a "real artist" would want is people checking out their work without permission. I know this because I was told by an "expert" who informed me what a "real artist is" (not me) and further informed me how all "real artists" feel about this subject.

Humans are a useless / way behind database, wait till the robots get all Arty on your Ass!

Humans are a useless / way behind database, wait till the robots get all Arty on your Ass!

Actually, I'm hoping to see the sheer Armageddon that's impending from stuff like 3d printers and the related tech. Imagine being able to copy a physical patented device to perfection in your home away from the prying eyes of any restrictions, just as easily as we can now copy a song. The technology will take a frighteningly short amount of time until it can reproduce physical characteristics of say a Guru drum's perfection in design. No doubt at all that many governing bodies will attempt to manage rights to the designs that can be "printed/fabricated", but as I've demonstrated here, that's an exercise in futility unless the platform and costs are actually realistic of the true value those object have when they are so easily copied with so little effort.

What will society and capitalism look like at that point?

Actually, I'm hoping to see the sheer Armageddon that's impending from stuff like 3d printers and the related tech.

What will society and capitalism look like at that point?

Well My Good Doctor, I would say Erosion.. The Hippies basically kept the world from being at each others throats, but now moving on into the Dawn of Aquarius. Knowledge is Power!

It reminds me of the coal miners that worry about losing their jobs. It's sad in a way and I can understand why they're upset if that's all they know. The World is moving on though and either they adapt or they get left behind. Coal is the past. Renewables are the future.

Not quite. It would be the same if the coal miners were losing their jobs and more coal was being sold now than ever.

20 years ago, it was the artist, the artist's management, the record label, the publisher, the distributor, the lawyer and if there was some left over, the artist.
Wrong again. 20 years ago the artist got whatever he was able to negotiate with a CONTRACT.

I've consistently advocated other, much more realistic ways for artists to make money in the new economy and reality.
Artists develop art. They spend many years honing their craft. They shouldn't be forced to sell t-shirts or use a virtual begging bowl to get paid. Plenty of money is changing hands due to their art. Most of that money belongs to them.

I don't like the ad based society paradigm. Why do we have to pay for our content by paying for physical things. This is essentially what Google et al. advocate, but you kind of have to understand the cycle of business.

Microsoft was in the camp of copyright enforcement. This software is ours you pay for the content, but they were dinks about it and wouldn't let anyone else distribute content on their platform, so begat Google. Google does everything through the cloud, they develop all of their software in house, and don't distribute it, if you want to use their software you have to use their site, they routinely fight with Google trying to get a foot hold in the OS market and failed.

I feel like we've kind of eclipsed these two and are in an era of Amazon and iTunes. No need for advertising. One stop shopping. They've made it easy to purchase and subscribe for all of these great services. So, things do come around. I've been buying more reasonably priced CDs these days, especially of international music.

I think it is worth noting, that I feel like the people who made it big just before the digital wave were pretty lucky, because they had an advantage in an expanding market, and people now have to have huge leverage to get a foothold.

Jean-Michel Jarre said:
We are facing a surreal situation where the creative industries have never made so much money – more than the car industry, the fashion industry and all these other sectors in society, in terms of growth and jobs. So you could say everything is great. The problem is that the nucleus of these creative industries -- the creators and authors -- have never got so little.

And this is not just a problem for a niche sector of society. It's a huge problem for every family in the world. For every individual on the planet. Because in every family you have one kid dreaming of becoming a graphic artist, filmmaker or musician and [unless something changes] tomorrow they will have to forget their dream.

We need to change the system worldwide and that change could come from Africa, Washington. Europe or China; somebody has to push the green light to protect artists and protect intellectual property. It's not only a financial problem. It's also a moral problem. It's a problem of ethics.

Intellectual property should be considered part of our human rights. If we don't create a decent business model for the 21st century, for all these sectors of society, we may not have the next Stanley Kubrick, the next Coldplay, or the next Picasso.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...nic-music-pioneer-cisac-president-jean-michel

"Googles Vision Statement" is to organise and provide the worlds information in one click. World Poverty and Hunger is not mentioned. But hey we are all moving past that ? Move on!

Hey, as long as we're having pointless arguments ... so what?

Why should Google mention "poverty and hunger"? They're a company. Their existence as a corporate entity doesn't _cause_ poverty and hunger. And they end poverty and hunger for millions every day: the people the directly pay, and all the people they pay, and so on.

I mean, I hate Google too, but not because they aren't out trying to solve charity problems (I hate them because they have a weird and culty and condescending culture [which is smugly shared by the employees of just about every other company like them], and because they don't make anything real, they're just life-sucking middle-men).

Am I taking crazy pills? Corporations don't need to reflect my beliefs or try to browbeat me with their "values" and "mission statements". Just make the thing, pay your workers, and maybe I'll buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back