16" Bass Drum Head?

Drumatix

I am currently converting a 16x16 floor tom into a bass drum and wondered if anyone could recommend a 16" bass drum head. I play drum n bass and jazz and would like a punchy sound to cut through the bass.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, I had one of those in mind already, when it's all done I could post sum pics, sure!

I own a Manu Katche hip gig which has a 16 x 16 bass drum. After playing around with several combos, I just happened to put an Evans Hydraulic on the batter side with an Aquarian Coated Studio-X on the reso. Also, I have two felt strips along the top of each head about an 1 1/2 down. I'm getting a nice low-end, yet full sound from such a small bass drum. Evans Hydraulic (batter) with Evans G1 Coated (reso) should also sound good. I do suggest the felt strips. I got the tip from a small interview I read with Steve Smith where he said he uses the strips on his Sonor Jungle Kit...works like a charm!

I own a Manu Katche hip gig which has a 16 x 16 bass drum. After playing around with several combos, I just happened to put an Evans Hydraulic on the batter side with an Aquarian Coated Studio-X on the reso. Also, I have two felt strips along the top of each head about an 1 1/2 down. I'm getting a nice low-end, yet full sound from such a small bass drum. Evans Hydraulic (batter) with Evans G1 Coated (reso) should also sound good. I do suggest the felt strips. I got the tip from a small interview I read with Steve Smith where he said he uses the strips on his Sonor Jungle Kit...works like a charm!

Hi I really like the idea of using the hydraulic/studio x combo. I was just wondering how they sit with wooden hoops , because wouldnt the collar be an issue? I'm just half way through converting a 16" myself and I'm hoping there is an alternative to splashing out on a super kick!

Thanks

You can use a tom head with wooden hoops. The collar is slightly smaller but it will work.
PS3 coated batter and thin Fiberskin reso works for me.

You can use a tom head with wooden hoops. The collar is slightly smaller but it will work.
PS3 coated batter and thin Fiberskin reso works for me.

thanks for reply :). really wish i hadnt spent £32 on a superkickII now haha, oh well im sure it will sound bad ass. i read something about putting tape on the reso inside, does anyone know anything about this, or anything else about muffling? thanks

To muffle a head that has no muffling system built in I suggest the old fashioned felt strip method.
You can adjust the felt to control the amount of dampening that you desire.

My favorite combo has been an EC2 batter with a G Plus coated reso. I tune it into bop range to cut through more on the high-end (a 16" tom won't compete for frequency range with bass guitar/synth like a 22" kick will). If you want a punchier sound, I recommend tuning the batter anywhere from a whole step to a third below the reso and use light muffling on the reso.

Back