What makes a good drummer?

juicebox

I've been wondering, what makes a good drummer? Mabye dynamics, speed, endurance, variety, musicallity, control, timing? What combination makes the best, what makes good solos and grooves. What are your thoughts?

A combination of them all. Some drummers have speed but no groove (yes, Mr Jordison, I'm looking at you) and some have groove but no speed. The best have groove and speed like Bonham

A good drummer makes you stop and really listen because what he's doing makes you think. It doesn't have to be complicated either it just has to be right for the music. Everybody is going to have a different opinion, so it really boils down to whoever catches your ear and inspires you.

A good drummer makes you stop and really listen because what he's doing makes you think. It doesn't have to be complicated either it just has to be right for the music. Everybody is going to have a different opinion, so it really boils down to whoever catches your ear and inspires you.

totally agree, its not just one thing, its a combination of them all (some more than others) that makes you inspired, confused, shocked, surprised, and just downright happy. When i heard kashmir for the first time i was floored, my jaw literally dropped.

A good drummer needs all the above qualities that have been mentioned. Groove, Dynamics, chops, endurance, speed, etc. A "great" drummer combines all these essentials and plays for the music not for himself. A great drummer makes the band feel good, grooves hard and plays for the music. All respect to the music your playing.

Joe

A good: listener, learner, pupil or student, practising, open minded to different drumming styles, music auditor, continuous improvement + feeling, passion and inspiration.

Last edited:
drum is soo much more feel than anything.

feel alone can make a drummer very good.
but you need the technique and speed to be great.

If you can keep time and listen, then you are a good drummer.

To be a great drummer you must be dynamic. Dynamic in the scence that you are comfortable in any playing situation. Able to go from light as a feather to super-pounding speed.

Someone who is able to take direction, without ego.

And someone who can lead a band musicaly from point A to B.

Top of the cake with the entertainment factor. Musicians are entertainers, so make me want to not only listen to the music but watch the show and you have an A+ in my book.

.... I guess that would be a good start.

I agree with all mentioned. The only thing that I didn't see was Conviction and Dedication Those help.

Good points by all. I'd also say a good drummer can be defined by what she/ he DOESN"T do; someone who understands arrangement and accompaniment (err, spelling!!!). Drums are usually meant to accompany melodic instruments and as so, drummers must understand song structure and always contribute to the song and not so much take over the song (unless that is the intention of the songwriter -ie fills and solos). When drums move to the front of the music, the drummer must be able and competent enough to create a mood or solicit a desired emotion from his/her audience using her/his skills. I have a buddy who has a buddy who plays drums in a cover band here in Miami. The last time we went to watchhim, he was way overplaying the drums through pink floyd, def leppard, Santana, motley crue, zz top etc, putting Neil Peart fills and vinnie paul blast beats through many parts that aren't supposed to be there and more importantly, he was taking away from the performance of the band. That is an example of a BAD drummer. It is good to have super-powers but you should only use your super-powers for GOOD.

A good drummer is one that can take criticism, helpful hints without thinking they are to good for the advice, and to try it. They learn from their mistakes. And they don't have a big head about their drumming. Key word: Humble

Another is being creative. Making their own grooves, songs, style. To mix all the genres, and make a different groove with it. That's what catches my ear.

You gatta be smooth with your mistakes too.

[These things I am just starting to learn]

Feel, Dynamics, and basic Chops

I think you can do the most basic rythms and fills and make it sound amazing with a good feel. The dynamics make it interesting.

and subtlety of course

A good drummer is one that can take criticism, helpful hints without thinking they are to good for the advice, and to try it. They learn from their mistakes. And they don't have a big head about their drumming. Key word: Humble

Another is being creative. Making their own grooves, songs, style. To mix all the genres, and make a different groove with it. That's what catches my ear.

You gatta be smooth with your mistakes too.

[These things I am just starting to learn]

if i was too humble i would'nt be where i am today.
im not a cock, but i like to go on youtube and try and find a drummer better than me (amateurs, not pros). if i do, then i learn what he was playing and work on it until i can play it better than him.
ive learned a lot from doing tthis

youre right about mistakes. i love when i start to mess up and then catch it and make something out of it

A good drummer is someone who fits the music, simple as that. It covers just about everything else mentioned...because you can't fit the music without good time, good groove, good feel, etc. There are some types of music where being a good drummer will make people stop and notice what you are doing...there are plenty more types of music where being a good drummer means that no one notices what you are doing, but they are all shaking their butts on the dance floor, completely lost in the groove, never noticing the drums, but they would also be incapable of doing what they are doing if it wasn't for the drums.

A good drummer looks at the tune being presented to him and makes his instrument boost what that tune is supposed to do. All of that worship of Buddy Rich and maw-mawing about Charlie Watts and Ringo is all about how good a drummer makes a band sound. Yeah, you can be all technical, but it doesn't amount to shit if the song is suffering for your wild display of wicked chops. There's more to this than the fun stuff!

Back