Things others drummers do that annoy you?

I didn't think I would get this crazy. Things should have been kept brief. Some people did post some short and to the point things that annoy us as drummers. But I also think as musicians and drummer we all have things we don't like.

Absolutely, and I think it is good that we talk about subjects that aren't always pretty. Music encompasses all emotions. We stand to learn from all of it.

1) Drummers who use trad grip but obviously have'nt got their left hand up to any decent standard, which results in the legendary "lopsided drum-fill". Sounds horrible. Play trad grip by all means, but please practice first!

2) Guys who don't bring a mat. This one never ceases to amaze me, drummers with experience are guilty of this one!

3) Shoddy treatment of equipment, whether it be your own or someone else's.
I remember doing a support slot a few years back and the drummer with the main act had this beautiful new Pearl Masters Kit with gold plated hardware and gorgeous, dark lacquered finish. He rolls up to the gig with the kit in the boot of his car, NO CASES and the hardware and stands piled in ON TOP OF THE DRUMS! I swear I nearly cried.....

4) The stick twirling thing. If you can do it and it does'nt interfere with the groove and your playing in general then knock yourself out! But I heard of one guy who turned up to an audition, tried to spin a stick during one of the 2 audition songs and dropped it! NEXT!

Last edited:
Joey, Fuo, Al, Todd, Crazy, Brady and Drum........your cheques (ok, ok, checks for my Yankee bros') are in the mail.......promise!! :)

Sorry if this ran off the rails too. I never intended to make any "religious commentary" per se.....moreso, I've just never understood "death metal" being a term that christians would willingly embrace, nor the need to use Jesus approved drums to play it with. I've asked about it before and it went largely unnoticed, is all......apols if it offended. Thanks for the input all, I'll happily leave it be now.

Cheers.

When I'm playing something with strings on it, a drummer who shows up for a small bar casual with a Peart mega kit that takes up half the stage. And then either doesn't use more than a fraction of it, or does long 16th note rolls down all the toms every 4th bar (which "fills" usually take up 2 to 3 bars in any event).

Sitting in a audience listening/watching the drummer:

Cats with ubber expensive kits (including the folks with 25 Vault or Signature cymbals) who couldn't swing if you hung them in the wind. Most often commited sin, turning the left hand stick around to the butt end and then barely tapping the snare, usually a bit late. If you're going to turn the stick around, it would be because a hard rimshot isn't cutting though and you really need to wallop the drum. But there is a breed of cat with really draggy and tenative left hands that invariably are holding that one stick backwards.

Overplaying for the music. Blues or R&B gig where the drummer is smacking a cymbal every bar. Tish, tish, crash, tish, ad naseaum. Or rat-a-tat all night long. Maybe if they're an ELP tribute band. But I don't need to hear a fill in every other bar of Let's Stay Together. I've heard Thomas Pridgen play this stuff with some restraint, you should be able to as well.

Playing too loud for the venue. Driving the level of everything up. Some rock guitarists are guilty of this too, but at least there is a volume knob on the amp.

Superb post as usual Aeolian...

I like it when the musician, drummer or otherwwise, who aint all that, who is so into their own little world, that they are hoping you are mesmerized by them and following their every emotion to a T, and has no clue about anyone else on stage.

The drummers who don't wear seatbelts and drink milk. How disgusting. ;)

The list is quite short for me, but one of my major pet peeves are drummers that play the same emotionless, thoughtless groove for every damn song.

-Jonathan

Drummers who wear gloves. I don't know why, but it has always bugged me. TAPE UP YOUR HANDS YOU WUSSY! :eek:P

Actually, a couple drummers I really admire, Dave Grohl and Vinnie Paul, wear gloves. But it still annoys me.

A DRUMMER I KNOW (VERY NICE GUY) SET HIS KIT UP SO OTHERS COULD USE IT AT A BENEFIT JAM, THIS IS WHAT GOT ME. BY THE END OF THE NIGHT, HE HAD NO STICKS LEFT (ALL BROKE) AND A COUPLE OF THE HEADS BUSTED. BRING YOUR OWN STICKS AND AT LEAST OFFER TO PITCH IN FOR THE COST OF THE HEADS. THIS WAS ALL DONE BY SEASONED DRUMMERS.

Drummers who type in ALL CAPS. Hit Caps Lock brutha.

15may27-caps-lock.jpg

I hate drummers that are unfriendly or frigid at gigs. I love the older more experienced guys that will talk shop and share their wisdom and gear knowledge with a newer drummer like me.

It's really not a drum thing but I personally offends me when a band has more guitar players than they need. You don't need 3 guitar p[layers up there to play the parts that could be easily covered by one guy.

Ok, I'm done.

I knew this drummer who, while playing, was sending and reading text-messages (?!?!?!?).
That's one thing that's not-done!
Music is all about emotion and feel and i don't like musicians who play with their minds distracted from what they are supposed to be doing.
It doesn't help the music, the rest of the band and won't get you through the song in the right way. Also the audience will notice.
I love musicians who play with their hearts and put feeling, emotion and dynamics in their play.
Love what you do and do what you love.

this actually reminds me, i recently met a supposed christian death metal drummer the other week and two things he said stick out in my mind.

"dude i get mad laid" - fornication
" my chops are quite a bit higher than most players here" - pride

now he was a decent player,but i can't help but giggle at the hypocracy lol. sorry if this was off topic.

I know a Christian death drummer who is a full on goth that mourns his faith. Bit of an unorthodox catholic in a way with some very odd views on life and the world.

This is off the original topic, but labeling music as 'death' or 'life' is ridiculous. Labels mean nothing whether referring to drums, people or a church. Death metal, metalcore, hardcore or whatever-core are just genres of music that no one can seem to agree on, much like relilgion. The message of the songs is where the difference lies. It's funny that no one has a problem with the gimmicky Satanic band/performer, but as soon as you mention 'Christian', suddenly everyone has an issue. As a father, I would much rather my 14 year old son play along with these 'Christian' bands than listen to negative, hate filled lyrics full of cursing. Bottom line is, if you don't like it, it was not made for you.... move on.

Whatever happen to live & let live?

Live and let live were repealed by an Act of Congress, March 2, 2002.

Secretly, the Declaration of Independence was deballed as well, as well as important parts of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I destest it when another drummer asks to play a song when im working. Its a pain in the ass, its loose loose to, if they are rubbish they make the band look bad, if they are good you get the studpid jokes and jeers and from the crowd...."bring the other drummer back", oh do one you drunken numb nut.

I had some guy who said he was in kasabian once, and i was like well your not cause i've met him before and he aint you so get lost, then he stuck his fingers up my singers nose, what a penis.

I have done a lot of gigs in holdiay venues and drummers seem to think it is ok to ask cause they are on holiday....................its not ok, im working, im hungover, im tired and im grumpy now piss off!

Back