DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Anyone ever try to poach your seat?

We were doing some high profile shows last year that got us a ton of exposure, and a guy sent an email to the band gmail account questioning whether my musicianship and showmanship was enough to take us to 'the next level'. He included links to YouTube videos of his playing, and basically was trying to steal my job right out from under me.
The guys in my band were pissed and wanted to write this guy back and tell him to F- off, but I told them to just to ignore it. (nice to know they had my back though!)
that just seemed like a pretty sleazy thing to do. has something like that happened to anyone else on here?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone ever try to poach your seat?

Anyone biting on such bait deserves what they get.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post
We were doing some high profile shows last year that got us a ton of exposure, and a guy sent an email to the band gmail account questioning whether my musicianship and showmanship was enough to take us to 'the next level'. He included links to YouTube videos of his playing, and basically was trying to steal my job right out from under me.
The guys in my band were pissed and wanted to write this guy back and tell him to F- off, but I told them to just to ignore it. (nice to know they had my back though!)
that just seemed like a pretty sleazy thing to do. has something like that happened to anyone else on here?
The band should have invited him for an audition, then when he got there told them what they thought of his actions.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Administrator - Mayor

They should have set him up with an audition and then told him he wasn't good enough.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Should've sent him a clip of 'Wailin' Smash'.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Anyone who does that shit is either desperate for a gig or they have some major social issues. If they have to resort to stealing another cat's gig then there's something wrong there.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Not my seat, I'm still on the local, sleezy bar gig level so I guess the average gorilla rock drummer can't do the half-assed swing stuff that I play.

I did once have this hippy band try to poach me at a gig. I'm not playing out much these days besides my regular gig so I haven't had a poaching attempt in a while.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

How pitiful is that individual!?! What a terrible thing to do to another musician! Total lack of character.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I did once have this hippy band try to poach me at a gig. I'm not playing out much these days besides my regular gig so I haven't had a poaching attempt in a while.
Not sure if that's really cool (it's like being head-hunted in a good way) or terrible (they tried to steal your bandmates' seats!).
Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah? He actually sent an email? The treacherous bastard.

Glad your band were stand up guys and we can have a giggle about it now. But it's not a way to endear yourself to guys working on the local circuit. Word travels fast.....so do bad reputations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Not sure if that's really cool (it's like being head-hunted in a good way) or terrible (they tried to steal your bandmates' seats!).
It's more like a job offer when you already have a job. Par for the course I reckon. I've been "poached" before. As have others I've worked with. Completely different to someone underhandedly trying to get you sacked so they can jump right in though.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
If they have to resort to stealing another cat's gig then there's something wrong there.
There's nothing wrong with approaching a band and letting them know you're available. But berating the existing member is the wrong approach.

There have been a few guys who've made it known to Al and his manager that they'd like my gig, but they didn't insult me in the process, and I'm kinda flattered. Unfortunately for such ambitious hopefuls, I'll be recommending my sub or replacement, should that time come, and assuming I'm alive to do so!

Bermuda
Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 AM

Yeah, I have no problem if a guy makes it known he's available if the need arises. There was a producer/engineer/drummer who recorded one of our albums that said he was available and interested if anything happened to me, and I was fine with that. (And it was a bit flattering.)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
and a guy sent an email to the band gmail account questioning whether my musicianship and showmanship was enough to take us to 'the next level'.
That's the scurrilous element right there. Letting it be known you're available is fair game. Beyond that, & especially judging your playing skills so as to sow seeds of doubt in your bandmates minds, is unforgivable.

Do you still have his youtube links so we can return the favour?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We were doing some high profile shows last year that got us a ton of exposure, and a guy sent an email to the band gmail account questioning whether my musicianship and showmanship was enough to take us to 'the next level'..

Would love to see how it was actually worded.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

I had something similar to this happen to me.The drummer that I replaced,after a year and a half ,came down to out gig and pretended to have some new hi hat cymbals to show off,and wanted to sit in and show them off.I know that I was leaps and bounds better than him,so I agreed ,and decided to be the better man.His playing was no better than it was when I replaced him,and it was oblious to the rest of the band.....and the crowd,who booed him actually.

Although I actually felt a little bad for him,vindication is a great thing.I never saw him again,and BTW,the hi hat cymbals(Zildjian) sucked.They were super heavy and more clangy that a friggin gong.

Steve B
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

That happened to me through a Guitar player. This guy wanted to join the band on the condition his drummer friend replaced me. Though it never happened, my band mates loved the guitar player but never stood up for me, which made it a very awkward gig to be in from then on. We lasted another year before that fizzled and went our separate ways.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM

I seem to recall anecdotes about Swing Era bandleaders firing the whole band and then rehiring everyone but one or two guys. Seems like a passive-aggressive way of firing someone without actually singling them out. It is a weird situation, but it's not as if you specifically gunned to replace your friend in the gig. I'm sure talking to your friends about it and letting them know how uncomfortable you are with the whole thing will help.

Here's how Duke handled one situation:
"Blanton sat in on a few tunes with the Ellington Orchestra the next night, and was hired on the spot. For the next three months both Blanton and Billy Taylor played bass with the band until Taylor, tired of being outplayed by the young new addition to the band, quit in January of 1940."

edit: this was in a response to a post which is now gone :) no worries
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Didn't Bonzo get his gig with LZ by a similar method? "You know, your drummer's not very good."
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIneuron View Post
Didn't Bonzo get his gig with LZ by a similar method? "You know, your drummer's not very good."
you may be thinking of Moonie
thats exactly how he go the gig
Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

No, never. As far as I know anyway....

Play with a high profile singer and I know cats would at least try and get in on the band for the profile of playing with her. It's all part of the 'business' though I guess.

You've got good loyal bandmates though. Good to read.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There's nothing wrong with approaching a band and letting them know you're available. But berating the existing member is the wrong approach.

There have been a few guys who've made it known to Al and his manager that they'd like my gig, but they didn't insult me in the process, and I'm kinda flattered. Unfortunately for such ambitious hopefuls, I'll be recommending my sub or replacement, should that time come, and assuming I'm alive to do so!

Bermuda
I agree. Letting the band management know your available if circumstances change with the current drummer is a pro-active approach that may pan out in the future. Putting down the current drummer is not cool, however.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 AM

I was actually on the other end of that not too long ago. Last summer, a musician friend of mine wanted to know my availability for a new tribute band he was in. They had a drummer, but they weren't sure if he was going to work out. Anyway, they had their first show, and I went to check them out. The drummer really didn't know the songs, as he was mostly playing basic beats throughout, plus he missed many essential fills left and right. And in at least one instance, he didn't even end the song with the rest of the band. Afterward, I told my friend (we've been in bands together since the early 90s, so I felt I could be honest with him) that they sounded good overall, but the drummer just wasn't cutting it. There was another drummer in the audience, and he was also in agreement. A few weeks later I got the call, and replaced him in the band. It was then that I found out the other drummer never wanted to rehearse, or was never available, to whatever. Didn't really surprise me.

So yes, I did something that may have been somewhat similar, but in this instance I feel that the circumstances were entirely different.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Gold Member

I have never tried to boil my throne in water.

I guess it might ruin it?

Davo
Old 07-19-2014, 01:31 AM
The SunDog

This guy sounds pretty naive to me. It takes a lot of meticulous work to build a band up to a high level. It's a living organism. Where your band has gotten to is as much due to you being a member as it is your mates. This guy doesn't see that if he didn't build it on his own then what qualifies him to grab the reins and guide it to the next level.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Two of the guys in my band are recording their songs, original songs that we play in the band.
But, they are recording it without the rest of the band being involved. They hired a studio drummer to do my tracks. I've heard the track that this drummer did. They say it only took him one take after listening to the song a couple times. I don't think he sounded quite as good as my drumming on that song, and I was generally displeased with the result of their recording of the song. They're doing a few other originals too.

It's a really sucky feeling knowing somebody else is playing my stuff on an official recording, and I get no credit for the drum parts that I created for the songs. I keep quiet about my feelings on this, but it's just a bugger, if I may borrow that word from my British/Aussie friends.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 AM
The SunDog

You may want to think about getting some new friends. When I look at successful bands the drummer is very often integral to their success. The other members regard them as such. Watching interviews with The Killers it is quickly apparent that the singer has great deal of love and respect for the drummer. When I saw Soundgarden in the early 90's the drummer was introduced by the singer as Matt "my drummer is better than yours" Cameron. If these guys you work with don't feel this way about you, well that'll happen in life. It doesn't mean you have to stick around for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow. What a crappy thing to do. That's never happened to me, but it's hard to believe people would do that. I remember reading about Def Leppard after Rick Allen lost his arm. the guys in the band said many people came out of the woodwork to offer their services while he was in the hospital. The band is just concerned for the life of their mate, and people were already clawing at the gig. Incredible.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Ever see the movie Purple Rain? Pretty much my experience of the music industry. All is fair in love, war and getting gigs apparently. I've been muscled out of a few. One gig I've been doing regularly, this fellow is always calling the leader letting them know that he's out there and available. Showing up at gigs being all palsy and angling to sit in. Some folks have the gift of self promotion. It isn't always outright "your XXXX sucks" but insidious little comments that wear on a leader and get them to thinking.