New Compact Drum Tuner

Rumor is they will sell for $99.

Which is still a lot of coin.

But as I said here: http://problemsandresults.com/blog/?p=52

You figure a drum dial is $59, and this should work 100 times better, and Boss TU-12 Chromatic Tuner (which is somewhat industry standard for a professional guitar tuner) sells for around $90-95, so maybe, just maybe, that price is not so far out there.
I am not sure why some of you think the drum dial doesn't work. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Measure the head tension at each lug. Then you just tweak it. At least you know you have the proper tension everywhere, and did not get thrown off by a tight nylon, tension rod stay, or a tight thread. After that you just do slight adjustments for perfection. Works great for me!

Cheap tuners are cheap. How many pro guitarists walk around with a cheap tuner though?

They're cheap and they're accurate, accurate enough for drums all day long, as accurate as the TUNEBOT. I play bass and have a SNARK, use it over the BOSS TU12 any day.

BOSS TU12 is like 30 years old, dated, hard to read, 20th century design... your dads tuner.

I am not sure why some of you think the drum dial doesn't work. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Measure the head tension at each lug. Then you just tweak it. At least you know you have the proper tension everywhere, and did not get thrown off by a tight nylon, tension rod stay, or a tight thread. After that you just do slight adjustments for perfection. Works great for me!

Exact tension of the head really doesnt mean that much unless everything was perfect, mylar, hoop, bearing edge and roundness of shell which it will never be. Trust me and try this, start with a loose head and finger tighten all the lugs, then double check them to be sure they are all about the same with your fingers. Now tighten in a proper pattern in even steps 1/4 turn each or 1/2 turn each with your key and try to be somewhat fussy when doing it and when your at about the pitch you want then tap test to check and see how close all your tension rods are in pitch. Now take your drum dial and make them all the same according to the dial and you will be shocked at how much farther they are out now than they were before you used it. Dont get me wrong I would love nothing better than to have a tool to speed up the tuning process if and when somebody makes one that actually works for drums as well as a guitar tuner works for guitars but I have yet to see one other than the "resotune" which at $250 is just too pricy for the average joe. Maybe this new tuner will work quite well but will have to just wait and see and hopefully it will.

Last edited:
Exact tension of the head really doesnt mean that much unless everything was perfect, mylar, hoop, bearing edge and roundness of shell which it will never be. Trust me and try this, start with a loose head and finger tighten all the lugs, then double check them to be sure they are all about the same with your fingers. Now tighten in a proper pattern in even steps 1/4 turn each or 1/2 turn each with your key and try to be somewhat fussy when doing it and when your at about the pitch you want then tap test to check and see how close all your tension rods are in pitch. Now take your drum dial and make them all the same according to the dial and you will be shocked at how much farther they are out now than they were before you used it.
Perfect! Of course! We are talking about my drums you know. :) We are doing the same thing. I am just using the dial for peace of mind. That's all. Makes me happy. You can live with that can't you

They're cheap and they're accurate, accurate enough for drums all day long, as accurate as the TUNEBOT. I play bass and have a SNARK, use it over the BOSS TU12 any day.

BOSS TU12 is like 30 years old, dated, hard to read, 20th century design... your dads tuner.

You have actually tried to tune drums with a guitar tuner and not want to biff everything out the window part way thru the process? Ive tried it with several different tuners but never found one that would register a single reading and not jump around each time you struck the drum.

Perfect! Of course! We are talking about my drums you know. :) We are doing the same thing. I am just using the dial for peace of mind. That's all. Makes me happy. You can live with that can't you

I sure can, just thought I might be able to actually save you some time as you got even more pieces to tune than I do...lol

You have actually tried to tune drums with a guitar tuner and not want to biff everything out the window part way thru the process? Ive tried it with several different tuners but never found one that would register a single reading and not jump around each time you struck the drum.

I do it all the time, the key is to place the tuner under the drum reading the reso head and not strike it hard, you can use your finger, don't need to stick it.

You don't tune drums with an electronic devise (well, you shouldn't be), you 'check' your results with it. You should always tune with your ears.

BOSS just issued an updated version of it (TU-12 Tuner) last year.

Same orange face, small, hard to see read-out.

To be most useful, tuners need to be easy to read, the BOSS isn't, never was, not compared to the competition.

Back