Dave Weckl

Reading some of the comments on this thread about Dave, I am totally blown away by those that can't see the absolute perfection and limitless licks that this monster brings to the drumming world.

Not long ago I went on a full night youtube Weckl rampage, and for hours on end searched out and watched every video of his I could find. I emerged from that venture fully believing that Weckl has exceeded all other drummer's technical capabilities in the history of the known universe.

After all, he himself said that his goal very early on was to be the greatest drummer in the world. And I believe he did it. His phrasing of licks across time is just mind boggling. Even Vinnie had met his match on the epic big three drum battle. That was just incredible.

I dare any one of you to do the same, and get a broader sense of his playing by seeing everything you can get your hands on. All things Weckl, for one night. And come away a believer. The dude is over the top good. As someone else said, maybe too good for his own good. With so much to pull from, I can't see how he could structure it all much better in a solo context. In a band context, he is so smooth it hurts.

None of us will EVER be that good. Face it. And it's ok. Because you can still love to play music and be good in your own ways. But only a jealous fool or musical incompetent would not be in total awe of Weckl's abilities and technique. He has it all, and I guess some people just can't handle it. Too bad. Too sad. For them.

None of us will EVER be that good. Face it. And it's ok. Because you can still love to play music and be good in your own ways. But only a jealous fool or musical incompetent would not be in total awe of Weckl's abilities and technique. He has it all, and I guess some people just can't handle it. Too bad. Too sad. For them.

I can't agree more.

My opinion is Weckl is one of the incredible genius's of our time and it's shame people have lost their ability to admire instead of compare or feel threatened.

I suppose if we were alive in the Buddy Rich heyday, similar feelings were shared too though.

For me, Weckl, Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, & Steve Smith are at the top of the ladder.

That in no way takes away from the admiration and inspiration of all the other great drummers that are out there which are way too many to mention. Some of them are on this site!

Most of us could try the rest of our lives and we'd never groove like Billy Ward or Stanton Moore and so, so, so many others.

Admire and appreciate is what I say because all these people make it a great time to be alive as a drummer!

Reading some of the comments on this thread about Dave, I am totally blown away by those that can't see the absolute perfection and limitless licks that this monster brings to the drumming world.

Not long ago I went on a full night youtube Weckl rampage, and for hours on end searched out and watched every video of his I could find. I emerged from that venture fully believing that Weckl has exceeded all other drummer's technical capabilities in the history of the known universe.

After all, he himself said that his goal very early on was to be the greatest drummer in the world. And I believe he did it. His phrasing of licks across time is just mind boggling. Even Vinnie had met his match on the epic big three drum battle. That was just incredible.

I dare any one of you to do the same, and get a broader sense of his playing by seeing everything you can get your hands on. All things Weckl, for one night. And come away a believer. The dude is over the top good. As someone else said, maybe too good for his own good. With so much to pull from, I can't see how he could structure it all much better in a solo context. In a band context, he is so smooth it hurts.

There are technically more proficient drummers out there, so saying that no one will be "better" from a technical stand-point is just not true. He is one of the greats though, but people should stop comparing who's the best and get inspired to play their OWN way instead. Borrow some licks and make them your own. That's how you evolve as a drummer. Be the best YOU. Even when I covered Weckl's magic island and access denied, I had this in mind.

There are technically more proficient drummers out there, so saying that no one will be "better" from a technical stand-point is just not true. He is one of the greats though, but people should stop comparing who's the best and get inspired to play their OWN way instead. Borrow some licks and make them your own. That's how you evolve as a drummer. Be the best YOU.
Yepp! I believe it's hard to say more proficient, but surely equally proficient.

Plus there is the musical side: On the musical side Dave Weckl is only "one voice" of many. He is an awesome musician, that's for sure, but he can't cover every way of musical thinking, speaking and designing ideas or pieces of music. Noone can.

I'd be very curious of Vinnie's opinion of Weckl, and Weckl's opinion of Vinnie. And Gadd's opinion of them, and vice versa. Anyone know of any videos where they talk about each other? Or better yet, specific licks? Like for instance, some of the incredible stuff that went down in the epic video of the three playing at once? I'd love to hear a technical breakdown of some of the more difficult passages with explanations of how they did it, and how they think about those licks phrased over the meter.

Ok, with all respect, but judging from your own comments here you don't understand most
of the licks, chops etc Dave Weckl plays - and Vinnie too, for that matter - and how what
they play functions according to the pulse. So don't you agree that you're not really in the
position to tell whether or not a) Dave Weckl is the best drummer in the world, and b)
anybody will be that good?

Sounds like a fanboy statment.

Things like good, better, best, greatest, ect is all subjective especially when you consider the enormity of the world of music, it's history and all it genres and ultimatly peoples varying tastes in it.

And from what I've read so far it seems he's only (or mosty) being praised for his advanced "technique". Technique is important but not the be all end all to musicians and musianship like it's made out to be.Things like creativity and showmanship get over overshadowed far too often by technical abilities, aswell as chemistry with the band mates, ect.

There is no "greatest" drummer in the world.

Name ONE drummer who plays more sophisticated fills than Weckl! .

Yeah, Vinnie! Sorry couldn't resist, I understand the futility of these arguments. I've just always heard an 'in the moment' spark of genius in Vinnie's playing that Weckl has always lacked. But as you say, a drummer can only ever be a master of their own style. Chris Dave might well possess a creative ability that surpasses them both.

i see a couple of people have seen Weckl with Stern, and I was wondering what the music is like. I guess it's guitar-oriented fusion?

Yes guitar-oriented fusion ala Alan Holdsworth & Jeff Beck with alot of cool drum soloing.

I actually got the chance to have a go on Weckl`s kit after a clinic once (everyone had left obviously... not gonna start playing in front of the man himself)... anyway, couldnt make it sound anything like he does! amazing!

Have to laugh at some of the delusional slatings of Weckl here on this forum. I sense a lot of bitter jealousy.

The guy is a genius and possesses godlike ability. Checking more of his stuff out like Island Magic, what a treat for the ears.

Dave is one of the most influential drummers for me. An awesome educator and equally awesome composer. I have learned a lot from his style and developed a little bit of his technique and fused it with my playing style. His DVD's are a great tool to use for learning. I think Steve Smith and Dave Weckl have the best intrustional DVD's on the drumming market. My opinion, they just seem to put the player and the learner first before they go off and get all technical and I know to some musicians that can be intimidating, but Dave doesn't make it feel that way....

Wow! What can you say.

Other then this anyway. I saw years ago what I think was his first video. VHS tape. Back then he discussed holding the stick in his left hand at the end of the stick, and I see now that he has changed his grip back towards the middle of the stick. Has he ever discussed he reasons for the change? On the tape he said he was too powerful for the grip he now uses. I haven't read everything here if I've missed it already discussed.

Yeah, he explains on his 'natural evolution' svd (think that's the name). He used hisnold.grip to get a solid, loud snare backbeat but, it just didn't make sense anymore when he refined his technique and started using the rebound, holding the sticks st the fulcrum and making the stick do the work.
He goes on to say how when he first tries this method he almost laughed, he couldn't believe it made playing and getting around the kit so much easier.
Also, along with his new technique he redesigned his signature sticks to compliment his new technique.
It's a great dvd, there's an excellent studio vid of him playing tempa de festival.

I find his playing really tastefull and cintellectual' if that's the right word. He has his sound nailed too. What a true sound. I've actually bought a few of his signature cymbals and they really do sound like how they sound for him (just with an idiot hitting them instead).
Says alot about just how natural his sound is and how good that sound is.

I've also seen alot of Weckl slating on these forums and I honestly can't get my head around it...
I'd kill to have his phrasing.

I had the best experience last night! I was lucky enough to see Dave Weckl, Thomas Lang and Dom Famularo play together in Adelaide!!!

It was the best drum workshop I have ever been to, but I have only been to a few. All drummers were incredible, and I learnt so much just from watching those masters in action. It truly was incredible, and if anyone has the chance to see any of these guys live, do no give up the opportunity because you will regret it!!!

Being a great fan of Thomas Lang, I couldn't wait to meet him, let alone hear him play!! Technically he is unbelievable and the amount of practice that he must have to do to reach the level he is at is just mind-blowing. I can certainly understand why he is known as the octopus! He did a huge solo, as what he is famous for, and did one of his famous foot patterns at speeds one could not achieve with their hands and then played a crazy solo in a completely different pattern over the top while continuing the foot pattern. It was crazy, and I really admire him.

I hadn't heard much of Dom before the night, but as a drummer he is a really, really nice guy. He talked a bit at the start and made some jokes, and beforehand he came out pre-concert to shake everyones hand and thank them for coming out. He was the only drummer who came out to do that and I was very impressed. He was very sincere and I really like him now not just as a drummer, but as a person. And about his drumming, he is very musically talented and has a fantastic feel when he is drumming; you can really feel his playing.

But Dave was that notch above both of them. He doesnt have the same character as Thomas and Dom, but he was very wise and you could tell that every chance he had to learn, he had taken it. He has that level of... just a mix of experience, dedication, love and wisdom of what he does more than Thomas or Dom. He was really great to watch; he didn't play one drum out of time, and each stroke had thought and control. His solo was extremely well structured and it had a real feel of a good drum solo, if you know what I mean. I will always remember him as one of the greatest drummers of all time, and the amount you can take away from him is fantastic. He is just that notch above the rest and is really great to see. His wise words were his secret to making a living from drumming. If you really want to be in various groups, play sessions and be a great band drummer, you must learn as many different styles as you can, be as versatile as you can.

So if any of you ever get the chance to see ANY of these drummers, then don't let it up, because you can learn something from seeing every drummer play, even if the drummer is worse than you, you can still learn what not to play. So be open-minded to everything in the music industry.

All fantastic, especially Dave. Hope I didn't go on too much :)

Two nights ago saw the Mike Stern Band with Dave Weckl. Holy crap! It's incredible to me to experience a drummer of that stature in such a small intimate setting. Brilliant!

Back