Update to my DW kit

Brundlefly

Inspired by the Big Kit vs Small Kit thread, I added six 8" Rata-toms in maple, color matched to the rest of my kit. These are the only 8" Rata-toms DW has ever produced. They use a mix of laminate styles (X-shell, VLT and standard) to achieve a very smooth pitch distribution. Enjoy...

kit_0816_left.jpg

kit_0816_frontLeft.jpg

kit_0816_front.jpg

kit_0816_back.jpg

Wow!!!!

Looks like your set up for recording.

Sound clips please!

That is such a sweet kit! Is there anywhere we can hear you play cos to have all that, you must be awesome.
Kevin

Your kit is gorgeous. Please don't leave it sitting around on the curb unattended... lol

Simply wow! Kit looks fantastic and the sort of set up that most members here dream about at night (even the small kit devotees if they would admit it!)...

Are you set up in your home practice room or at a recording location? Must be real fun to move!

Dang man, you could raise the dead with that setup. Just gorgeous. I hope you do them proud. Do you use your entire setup for gigs? I can't imagine what load in, set up, breakdown and load out must be like with all that gear....

"ratatoms" ? Never heard of that one. Man, those few toms must be worth a few times all my gear. You have an awsome kit, if I become a rich and famous drummer once I will be able to purchase something like that aswell. If that day comes, I WILL purchase something like that :p.
Have fun playing!

Terry Bozzio much?

I got tired of all the "Peart boy" comments and decided to switch it up. Getting Bozzio comments is quite refreshing. ;)

Are you set up in your home practice room or at a recording location? Must be real fun to move!

Thank you.

The kit currently resides at a practice studio while my home studio is being built. If all goes well, I get to move in next month. Hopefully, that will be the third and last time I ever move it. This kit is meant purely as a home-studio recording projects kit. If I were in a gigging band (which I don't have time for), I'd have something about half this size or smaller... and in a wrap finish. I hate lugging kits around as much as anyone else. Plus, I have to rent a 10-footer to fit everything in one trip. :)

Dang man, you could raise the dead with that setup. Just gorgeous. I hope you do them proud. Do you use your entire setup for gigs? I can't imagine what load in, set up, breakdown and load out must be like with all that gear....

Thanks you. I'm not in a gigging scenario, atm. However, the setup time on this is about 1.5 hours with mikes and all if... I have everything memory locked and marked up. The real time killer is if I decide that I want to try a different arrangement. Those events usually run about 8-12 hours.

"ratatoms" ? Never heard of that one. Man, those few toms must be worth a few times all my gear. You have an awsome kit, if I become a rich and famous drummer once I will be able to purchase something like that aswell. If that day comes, I WILL purchase something like that :p.

Ratatoms are DW's version of Tama's Octobans. And you can order them as a standard item in 6" diameters. However, the 6" Rata shells aren't made by DW, which is what prompted my discussion with them about using 8" shells instead. Imagine an Octoban like sound where there is a lot of punch and crack, but mixed with a standard warm maple tom sound.

Man, very nice kit, but very nice table you got there too!
Is that the TASCAM DM-4800?

Thanks and yes, its the DM-4800. I need a lot of simultaneous channels and it operates as a virtual control board for Logic. Not to mention that it can also weigh your mail and affix the proper postage.

Wow!!!!Looks like your set up for recording.Sound clips please!

Thanks and yep. Recording is my aim here. However, not in this room. It sounds like a muddy shoe box in there. Soon as I get it all dialed in at home, I'll post some stuff.

Thanks and yes, its the DM-4800. I need a lot of simultaneous channels and it operates as a virtual control board for Logic. Not to mention that it can also weigh your mail and affix the proper postage.

Is it worth the 5300 euro's? (7500 dollars that is, don't know if that is what you actually need to pay though)
I find it a very intresting table for a home studio, not that I'm going to buy one anytime soon, but I like gathering others experiences :)

This gets my vote for favorite kit on the site, including the pros' kits.
The finish is stunning, the sheer possibilities of all those toms/ratatoms just blows me away, and the fact that it's a DW just makes me drool.
Get us some of those sound clips!

Is it worth the 5300 euro's? (7500 dollars that is, don't know if that is what you actually need to pay though) I find it a very intresting table for a home studio, not that I'm going to buy one anytime soon, but I like gathering others experiences :)

I think I paid something like $4,500.00 for it, but don't quote me on that. I know it was under 5k.

Being in that practice studio has made it hard to for me to fully explore the board, partly due to the nature of that studio and partly due to time. So, I don't yet feel like I know it well enough to really comment fairly. The few practice recordings I've done bypassed most of the circuitry, going straight to Logic. Those were pretty nice, but I'm a ways out from having it dialed in.

When I feel like I've got a good handle on it, I'll probably write up something on my process and the equipment involved.

What application would you use the ratas for? presumably tribal type tom grooves?

Sure. That's certainly one.

The goal I had was to produce something with broader use applications than what you would get from regular Octobans. After all, when you have a kit as big as mine, space is at a premium. So I think it is important for each piece to be as broadly useful as possible. And when anything proves otherwise, I throw it out or replace it.

Anyway, I think DW hit the mark with these. They can certainly handle all the typical Octoban-like applications most are familiar with. But then they are warm and have more tone, and (unlike most Octobans, really) they can be tuned to recognizable pitches so you can do true melodic work with them. Then, at their lowest pitches, they are low and powerful enough to literally compete with and mix in with my other toms. Where my acrylic Octos are a contrast with the rest of my kit, these are more complementary.

Amazing kit man, very well orchestrated and that finish really shines as well. Did Warren Buffet leave his wallet in your car or something?

I loved that kit in the Peart setup, but this is even nicer!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing in the Peart setup that i don't like, is that you have to stretch your arms to reach the toms above the hats.
I have played my drums in the Peart setup, but I changed to a more normal setup (3 up, 2 down)

Bram

Back