Quick question on technique for double strokes

Volentry

My doubles are getting pretty decent, they're even sounding which I'm really happy with, but I realised that my left hand plays rather high on the stick, about 40% of the total length while my right hand stays consistent at the 3/8 part.

I think this has something to do with my left hand being weaker and thus needing to go higher to rid itself of the weight of the stick. Is this wrong? How can I get rid of this?

Maybe the problem is deeper than that I know, but as a suggestion why not work on your double strokes at a slow tempo with your left hand holding the stick the same spot as the right. Once it gets comfortable speed it up.

Kind of a basic response, but it's true and should help.

The more you work on stick control the better your control will become. Do you have a teacher helping with your technique?

The fulcrum should be held at the spot where the stick rebounds the best. Chances are (if you're right handed) your right hand is holding it at the correct spot and your left hand is a bit off.

I agree with wy yung. It is better to work on this with a teacher since it is best explained one on one.

Jeff

If your left is choked higher up on the stick then it's safe to say that your left fingers are less developed than your right. You're relying more on wrist to man-handle the stick with the left hand, where the fingers are doing more on the right hand and therefor your fulcrum on the right hand is farther back where the stick does more work for you. With your left hand choking up on the stick makes it easier for the wrist to man-handle it because of the smaller amount (weight) of stick sticking out.

If your left is choked higher up on the stick then it's safe to say that your left fingers are less developed than your right. You're relying more on wrist to man-handle the stick with the left hand, where the fingers are doing more on the right hand and therefor your fulcrum on the right hand is farther back where the stick does more work for you. With your left hand choking up on the stick makes it easier for the wrist to man-handle it because of the smaller amount (weight) of stick sticking out.
I use the rebound method to play doubles just like Jojo Mayer and Derick Pope explains it. It sounds even already. I don't use any fingers for any of the strokes either. I just play a stroke, let it rebound. For faster speeds like 180bpm and above I hold the fulcrum a little tighter so I can get the 2nd stroke quicker.

I do have a teacher, but I take lessons in a group. So far my teacher hasn't gone to speeds in excess of 160bpm (16th notes) yet, but we do play 10 stroke rolls at around 140bpm. He doesn't say anything about my technique.

Just saw this reply and think this and another post I just replied to go hand in hand to a degree, the part in my reply I'd totally fogotten about is that my left hand now holds the stick much further back than it used to and in the same place as my right hand whereas previously it was much nearer the tip so totally agree with your comments and hopefully reply 15 of mine in this thread will be of some use http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55886

Back