Just ranting about "Fast Food" style bands (the kind im in)

Totally. I hate the music they play at Taco Bell just as much as the next guy.

this is a question for the derek roddy forum ... as a metal head ( i'm more into classic metal and power metal) there is no money to be made in metal .. d-rod makes more money raising snakes than he does drumming .. if you wanna hit it big .. quit playing drums .. write some sh*tty pop "waah my gf is cheating on me with arnold swartzeneger " type lyrics .. auto tune some random homeless guy reading the lyrics ( preferably while he's strung out) .. add bass, a drum machine.. and some computer generated beeping and clicking noises .. top 40 hit right there

the only fast food in metal is that you'll only be able to afford food from the dollar menu

i wouldn't worry about it, metal is dead commercially anyway.
go play some pop-punk, or post-hardcore.

on another thought .. why is the 1st thing people think of as metal is blast beats and some douche in corpse-paint screaming into a microphone while he's sitting constipated on the toilet ... WTF happened to iron maiden, judas priest .. and power metal i can name many metal bands that don't growl and don't use blast beats .. metallica, megadeth, priest, maiden, blind guardian, iced earth, hammerfall ....etc .. i listen to a good deal of death metal .. but there is a HUGE differnce between sonata arctica/ nightwish and nile/ deicide , and korpiklaani, and others .. there are many variations of metal..

this is a question for the derek roddy forum ... as a metal head ( i'm more into classic metal and power metal) there is no money to be made in metal .. d-rod makes more money raising snakes than he does drumming .. if you wanna hit it big .. quit playing drums .. write some sh*tty pop "waah my gf is cheating on me with arnold swartzeneger " type lyrics .. auto tune some random homeless guy reading the lyrics ( preferably while he's strung out) .. add bass, a drum machine.. and some computer generated beeping and clicking noises .. top 40 hit right there

the only fast food in metal is that you'll only be able to afford food from the dollar menu

Well, Derek's bands were all extreme metal bands, who do only appeal to a small fan base.

i wouldn't worry about it, metal is dead commercially anyway.
go play some pop-punk, or post-hardcore.

Metal has a whole outsells rap. However, it's very diversified between numerous bands.

on another thought .. why is the 1st thing people think of as metal is blast beats and some douche in corpse-paint screaming into a microphone while he's sitting constipated on the toilet ... WTF happened to iron maiden, judas priest .. and power metal i can name many metal bands that don't growl and don't use blast beats .. metallica, megadeth, priest, maiden, blind guardian, iced earth, hammerfall ....etc .. i listen to a good deal of death metal .. but there is a HUGE differnce between sonata arctica/ nightwish and nile/ deicide , and korpiklaani, and others .. there are many variations of metal..

Yeah, I love metal, but I don't listen to bands who use a lot of blast beats and growling/scremo vocals.

Popular US "metal" bands include Godsmack, Korn, Slipknot, Stone Sour, among others.

In Europe it seems metal is much more diversified than in the US. Thousands of metal bands exist there who either do not or rarely use blast beats or guttural vocals, even if Scandinavia is often considered the roots of extreme.

Myself, I tend to either go old school (Ozzy, Priest) or various modern European bands who aren't so known in the US.

sorry, didn't mean to speak out of turn. I don't know much about metal.

sorry, didn't mean to speak out of turn. I don't know much about metal.

When one looks at Rap, they see artists like Jay-Z and Eminem who can sell 7 to 8 million copies of album. And it's true, no metal band gets close to those sorts of numbers anymore (Although Metallica's Black album is something like 15th best selling album of all time, and one of the older AC/DC albums is up there too).

But outside of the big names, the rap genre as a whole isn't that big to other genres.

In metal, sure, no bands sell that many copies of anyone album, but there are thousands of bands who all sell a few hundred thousand copies, that when added onto recent sales by bands like Metallica and Judas Priest, actually add up to more combined sales than the entire rap genre.

But of course, main stream media sees the sales of 7 million and reports on that, because it's a bigger story than the 1000s of individual bands who make up the metal category.

In another thread I posted links and news reports backing this up, but then someone came in after me and called someone else a name, and the whole thread ended in a flame war and ended up deleted, and of course, I didn't keep a copy of a research. When i have time, I'll have to re-look it all up.

it's interesting you should say that. i'd like to see the information you collected. shame about the flame wars.
as for what i said... i don't know anything about metal pre-melodic death metal (i'm not that old). i know tons about the resulting sub genres, but that doesn't mean i know anything about metal, so i won't pretend i do. i got blinded by the -core's in my youth and haven't studied anything old. quite ignorant of me really.
i do love statistics though!

Back