DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buying a custom DW set

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDrew View Post
Ha! DW owns Gretsch. Know your stuff before you go telling people what to do with their money!

I do know my stuff. DW owns rights to distribute Gretsch. Hell, even if they DID own Gretsch outright, they're still different drums, with different construction.

There may be some nice DW drums out there. I've just never experienced them for myself, and I have played many of them. Donati and Lang seem to get good results out of their drums, that's for sure.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
DW tom mounting requires way too much time to adjust properly. If I remember correctly, the PDP system worked a bit better. Yamaha system can be adjusted very simply and easily. You just have to compare them and work with them to see the difference. It's night and day.
Are you talking about the STM mount how it attaches to the drum itself? If so, there's no adjustment. It hangs on the lugs with rubber gaskets. If you're talking about the ball joint, then that doesn't make sense because everyone besides Pearl uses that mount, including Gretsch.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I am glad that this is still a talker long after the thread was started. I'll try to post updates from time to time, but at this point, I'm just socking away cash. I basically started at a thousand bucks when I started the thread; I'm at around $5k now. Hitting around 1k/month that I can rightfully dedicate to this without changing anything else financially.

I'm leaning toward waiting until I have 10k in cash ready to go, and then booking a trip out to CA and hitting the Reagan Library along with a factory visit, and then building out the set. Most likely that gives me a little extra cash to work with, but puts me in a position that I don't have to say no to anything either.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the conversation.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubik1014 View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I am glad that this is still a talker long after the thread was started. I'll try to post updates from time to time, but at this point, I'm just socking away cash. I basically started at a thousand bucks when I started the thread; I'm at around $5k now. Hitting around 1k/month that I can rightfully dedicate to this without changing anything else financially.

I'm leaning toward waiting until I have 10k in cash ready to go, and then booking a trip out to CA and hitting the Reagan Library along with a factory visit, and then building out the set. Most likely that gives me a little extra cash to work with, but puts me in a position that I don't have to say no to anything either.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the conversation.
Gawd.... I love what your doing here. Rock on brother and more power to ya.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Gawd.... I love what your doing here. Rock on brother and more power to ya.
Thanks dude. Much appreciated!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Hire a professional photographer and take staged pics and close ups, so the haters heads can pop off! LOL!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Wow awesome. Can I expect any retailer to offer that and they still make money? I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.
this is a great idea and almost any retailer would jump at the chance, but if it were me I would ask the retailer when they last ordered a DW and how long it took them to receive the set. And how much effort they are willing to put toward providing you with updates and not leave you in the cold.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
this is a great idea and almost any retailer would jump at the chance, but if it were me I would ask the retailer when they last ordered a DW and how long it took them to receive the set. And how much effort they are willing to put toward providing you with updates and not leave you in the cold.
I second going through a smaller local shop and Grunt's advice. Smaller shops don't have big buying power like GC, so don't be surprised if the % off of list isn't as high though.

There's never a shortage of great looking DW kits for sale online (Memphis, Forks...etc) Have you looked at existing inventory for anything that catches your eye?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
There's never a shortage of great looking DW kits for sale online (Memphis, Forks...etc) Have you looked at existing inventory for anything that catches your eye?
True this! I knew what sizes and finish I wanted. They didn't have quite so many lines and shell options when I got my Collectors kit, but I don't have a single regret. I found mine in 2014 as a new, old stock 2008 kit sitting in a Guitar Center halfway across the country. Found it on their website and picked it up for less than half what a new one would cost (10, 12, 14, 16, 22 for $2200ish shipped).

Even lightly used can be a great deal. I picked up my Frequent Flyer in absolutely mint condition from (again) Guitar Center used online for $750.

I'd still do the factory tour thing first since you've got the funds to do so, but afterward, at least check out inventory before ordering new.

Oh, and DW service is FANTASTIC! My 16" Broken Glass floor tom was cracked in shipping from GC to me. At first it appeared to just be ply separating as I noticed it when installing new heads. I shipped it to DW for review and they confirmed it to be a crack all the way through the shell and since it corresponded with a FT leg mount, it seems it was truly shipping damage. DW still built me a brand new drum, no charge and no questions asked. They included a T-shirt and pack of drum keys too. Awesome folks!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Il be the devils advocate here then. Try a DW kit and other kits before you actually buy. Because I did the same, I wanted that sweet DW because its the most expensive blah blah blah. Oh my heart sank when it turned up. Its like when they say dont meet your heroes. Just try one, and compare it to other offerings first. The satisfaction of owning the most expensive kit out there fast fades away and youl realize the bucket list will have a new entry reading "buy my REAL dream kit" afterwards.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
. The satisfaction of owning the most expensive kit out there fast fades away and youl realize the bucket list will have a new entry reading "buy my REAL dream kit" afterwards.
So, shoot for your dream kit and be prepared to eventually re-aim your sights and shoot again. No shame in that!

I've known many people who designed and built their dream home, and within five years they were at it again because once they lived in it, they realized it wasn't really what they wanted.

Buy that ultimate kit and do it in the way that you like best. Don't do extra research unless you like doing that. But.

Keep in that back of your mind that this may turn out to be the kit that helps guide you to your true dream kit, and that's perfectly fine too. It's not like you only have one shot at this, so there's no pressure.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Il be the devils advocate here then. Try a DW kit and other kits before you actually buy. Because I did the same, I wanted that sweet DW because its the most expensive blah blah blah. Oh my heart sank when it turned up. Its like when they say dont meet your heroes. Just try one, and compare it to other offerings first. The satisfaction of owning the most expensive kit out there fast fades away and youl realize the bucket list will have a new entry reading "buy my REAL dream kit" afterwards.
I completely appreciate this sentiment. I do intend to do this. Hopefully I can find the venue to really try out a few kits, as it is getting harder to do in today's day, but I may just make a trip to a city with a good drum selection to do just that. It sounds like Memphis may be the best place to do that.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 PM

I would like to type this out at least once:

I think a lot of the DW hate and "overpriced," "sound like garbage," etc comments come from 2 camps:

1. People who can't afford them and therefore feel the need to speak down about them in some way to convince themselves they don't want them.

2. People who don't know how to tune.

I've found Pearls and Yamaha's to be much easier to tune than DW's. The difference is that once you learn the nuances of tuning DW's, you'll be able to get sounds out of them that you'd never get out of a Pearl or a Yamaha. I also think head selection has a lot to do with it. I think a lot of people's experience with a DW kit is to sit behind one on display in a music store with factory heads on it and then there's this huge let down when it doesn't sound amazing.

I speak from experience here because I'm actually on my second go-round with DW. I bought my first Collectors kit back in 2003 and it was a 2001 model in Black Velvet. I bought DW 100% for the name. I'd never heard or played DW's before. I took them home along with a brand new set of Evans heads, did my best to tune them, and was 100% disappointed. I spent a lot of time with Pearl drums after that and they were nice drums that sounded good, but lacked the warmth and depth that I found myself beginning to crave. In 2014 I got my second DW kit and played it side-by-side against my Pearl Masters kit. There was no comparison. It those 11 years, though, I'd learned a great deal about tuning, head selection, hoops, and shell construction. I'd begun to understand what features were likely to give me the sound I wanted. Turns out that sound is the magic DW has created in their Collectors Maple drums with thin shells, re-rings, flanged hoops and somehow the hardware plays a role as well. A lot of video's you'll see of people comparing DW to another brand has the other brand in-tune and the DW with dissonant overtones still. If you'd take the time and learn how to get that DW in tune, it would be a much better comparison and DW would probably come out on top.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

I haven't had a ton of experience with playing a slew of different kits, mainly, because I've been playing at church mostly, so one or two kits, or my own. It's only been in the last year or so, that I've been on a quest to find the perfect drums I can afford and like the tone of. Up to recently, my environment has been very controlled. That said, after getting my Premiers to sound killer back in the 90s, I played a shared DW kit for a gig back in the late 90s and was blown off my throne! I did everything I could to get the Premier to sound close and could never get that sound.

Fast forward a few years and I picked up a used PDP kit for cheap and had the bearing edges reworked and I had at least achieved some of the DW sound. The super thin shells made a big difference for sure. They can get close to the Performance series, but the performance series is still deeper, richer and warmer. In some respects I like them more, but the Collectors have so many variations, it's tough to make a blanket statement.

A few years later, my church bought a Gretsch set and I had a hell of a time getting the heads to tune. I think I ended up giving it three full tries, before I could get them to sound close to something I liked. I was fighting bizarre overtones and those five lug hoops on the smaller toms really threw me for a while.

Sometimes, you just have to bring them home and fuss with them to know for sure if they are your sound. There are definitely drums that sound like crap, no matter what you do, but they tend to be under $600 new. Most mid level stuff can sound pretty awesome with some time and tuning, so yes, blanket statements about this brand or the other sounding like crap don't serve anyone well.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
I would like to type this out at least once:

I think a lot of the DW hate and "overpriced," "sound like garbage," etc comments come from 2 camps:

1. People who can't afford them and therefore feel the need to speak down about them in some way to convince themselves they don't want them.

2. People who don't know how to tune.

I've found Pearls and Yamaha's to be much easier to tune than DW's. The difference is that once you learn the nuances of tuning DW's, you'll be able to get sounds out of them that you'd never get out of a Pearl or a Yamaha. I also think head selection has a lot to do with it. I think a lot of people's experience with a DW kit is to sit behind one on display in a music store with factory heads on it and then there's this huge let down when it doesn't sound amazing.

I speak from experience here because I'm actually on my second go-round with DW. I bought my first Collectors kit back in 2003 and it was a 2001 model in Black Velvet. I bought DW 100% for the name. I'd never heard or played DW's before. I took them home along with a brand new set of Evans heads, did my best to tune them, and was 100% disappointed. I spent a lot of time with Pearl drums after that and they were nice drums that sounded good, but lacked the warmth and depth that I found myself beginning to crave. In 2014 I got my second DW kit and played it side-by-side against my Pearl Masters kit. There was no comparison. It those 11 years, though, I'd learned a great deal about tuning, head selection, hoops, and shell construction. I'd begun to understand what features were likely to give me the sound I wanted. Turns out that sound is the magic DW has created in their Collectors Maple drums with thin shells, re-rings, flanged hoops and somehow the hardware plays a role as well. A lot of video's you'll see of people comparing DW to another brand has the other brand in-tune and the DW with dissonant overtones still. If you'd take the time and learn how to get that DW in tune, it would be a much better comparison and DW would probably come out on top.
This is a great post.

The question I would have is how does this reconcile with the concept I've heard that DW tunes great at the factory, ships them, and they stay in tune, and they have a reputation to stay in tune great? Is that not as true as some say?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is a great post.

The question I would have is how does this reconcile with the concept I've heard that DW tunes great at the factory, ships them, and they stay in tune, and they have a reputation to stay in tune great? Is that not as true as some say?
I'm a DW Drum guy (through and through, check out my Album), and I can tell you, all 3 drums needed tuning when I received them.

Sure, I've seen the YouTube video on DW, where they claim all drums that leave the factory are ready to play, and I won't argue that point, providing you don't mind playing a drum that sounds like a pre-schooler tuned it, not to discredit DW in any way, just saying.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
I'm a DW Drum guy (through and through, check out my Album), and I can tell you, all 3 drums needed tuning when I received them.

Sure, I've seen the YouTube video on DW, where they claim all drums that leave the factory are ready to play, and I won't argue that point, providing you don't mind playing a drum that sounds like a pre-schooler tuned it, not to discredit DW in any way, just saying.
Stroker, I would be interested in hearing your album but can't seem to find it in your profile.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Stroker, I would be interested in hearing your album but can't seem to find it in your profile.

Cheers
Greetings, GE! Album contains only pictures so far, but hoping to get up and running on sound and videos soon.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

It's those crappy stock heads. It's the one thing I've never understood about DW. Why not just ship with real Remo Ambassadors, instead of those things they do now. They are too thick and too stiff to not sound like a Sponge Bob drum set. Everyone else seems to ship their mid to high end stuff with branded, but real heads. It's the first thing I'd rip off of them, except maybe the kick drum reso, but I wouldn't really care if that said DW or not.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
It's those crappy stock heads. It's the one thing I've never understood about DW. Why not just ship with real Remo Ambassadors, instead of those things they do now. They are too thick and too stiff to not sound like a Sponge Bob drum set. Everyone else seems to ship their mid to high end stuff with branded, but real heads. It's the first thing I'd rip off of them, except maybe the kick drum reso, but I wouldn't really care if that said DW or not.
Re: Remo Ambassador heads, would I notice a significant difference in sound compared the stock heads I'm currently using?

I've watched a number of YouTube videos related to snare, tom, and bass drum heads, and by the time I've finished watching, they all seem to sound the same, so I keep playing the stock issue.

I'll take a look at the Ambassadors. Appreciate the mention, Az!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I sort of wondered if that was bogus. Thanks for the comment.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Re: Remo Ambassador heads, would I notice a significant difference in sound compared the stock heads I'm currently using?

I've watched a number of YouTube videos related to snare, tom, and bass drum heads, and by the time I've finished watching, they all seem to sound the same, so I keep playing the stock issue.

I'll take a look at the Ambassadors. Appreciate the mention, Az!
They don't have to be Ambassadors. I mentioned them, because so many stock heads are Ambassadors. I still have a set of the stock DWs that came with my PDPs in my closet. Some say DW, others say PDP, but they are identical and say medium head by Remo on them, they are far from medium. If you compare them to clear Ambassadors or G1s for example, while they are technically all medium heads, the DW heads are nowhere near the same. They are way thicker and stiffer.

I would have totally expected them on the PDP line, but would have expected DWs to warrant real heads when shipped.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They don't have to be Ambassadors. I mentioned them, because so many stock heads are Ambassadors. I still have a set of the stock DWs that came with my PDPs in my closet. Some say DW, others say PDP, but they are identical and say medium head by Remo on them, they are far from medium. If you compare them to clear Ambassadors or G1s for example, while they are technically all medium heads, the DW heads are nowhere near the same. They are way thicker and stiffer.

I would have totally expected them on the PDP line, but would have expected DWs to warrant real heads when shipped.
Many thanks, Az! I'll take a closer look at the G1's. They'll make for a good starting point for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Ambassadors/G1's for higher tunings, Emperors/G2's if you like lower tunings. Clear for brighter tones, coated for warmer tones. I have Coated Emps on mine and they're low and fat with still plenty of sustain.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
Ambassadors/G1's for higher tunings, Emperors/G2's if you like lower tunings. Clear for brighter tones, coated for warmer tones. I have Coated Emps on mine and they're low and fat with still plenty of sustain.
Many thanks, JV! Drumheads stupefy me. It's become such a complicated process nowadays with the vast selection.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Many thanks, JV! Drumheads stupefy me. It's become such a complicated process nowadays with the vast selection.
Okay, so let me add to the confusion. If it wasn't for going for the UV1s, I would have definitely gone the Aquarian Classic Clear and Coated heads. Super durable and sound great. The UV1s messed up that plan. If it was going to be 2-ply, than G2 or Emperor. There. Nothing like changing the direction of a thread and swirling already muddy waters, but I'm good at that.... SQUIRREL! :)

Last edited by AzHeat; 06-15-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay, so let me add to the confusion. If it wasn't for going for the UV1s, I would have definitely gone the Aquarian Classic Clear and Coated heads. Super durable and sound great. The UV1s messed up that plan. If it was going to be 2-ply, than G2 or Emperor. There. Nothing like changing the direction of a thread and swirling already muddy waters, but I'm good at that.... SQIREL! :)
Roaring with laughter! That's why I play stock heads. :)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM

There are a lot of good quality used/new collectors packages out for 3500-4500 dollars canadian nowadays. Just recently saw a broken glass collectors kit used for 3k and sold right away... i would have considered this if i hadnt bought my used collectors for 2.8k already (and mine was a 6 piece)

Broken glass with black chrone hw
Maple

Dia x depth:
14x10 rack tom???
16x16
20x24(wow-!!)

14x8 snare (wow!!)

This one mustve have been custom ordered by a customer that plays some mean rock
https://www.justdrums.com/product/us...-black-nickel/
Old 06-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Roaring with laughter! That's why I play stock heads. :)
When in doubt, G2s over G1s. I just played a house kit (Starclassic) with them and they sounded nice, open and fat.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 PM

If anyone wants to shop kits for me, I'm looking for a 7 piece in natural Maple or Oak most likely. That said I would really like to play a few before actually buying, haha.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
If anyone wants to shop kits for me, I'm looking for a 7 piece in natural Maple or Oak most likely. That said I would really like to play a few before actually buying, haha.
I had a hard time finding a place where they let u play collectors as well... good luck tho.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Maple ones shouldn't be much of an issue. Most big box stores will carry them. All the GCs in my area have them, Sometimes even in exotic finishes. Specialty woods....hmmmm. There should be a good pool of used you could play too, but specialty woods are going to be a tougher find.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
When in doubt, G2s over G1s. I just played a house kit (Starclassic) with them and they sounded nice, open and fat.
Good to know. Thanks, Az! I'll be remembering this.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 PM

I am NOT alone. ... :)

I've been going through the same process. A few months ago I started putting together a DW Performance Series kit. As I near retirement I'm trying to decide to

1. Expand my Performance Series set to a massive size.
2. Get a small DW Collector's series set in a beautiful wood.
3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Gearfest at Sweetwater and plan to closely view all of their offerings. Then I will decide.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post

I've been going through the same process. A few months ago I started putting together a DW Performance Series kit. As I near retirement I'm trying to decide to

1. Expand my Performance Series set to a massive size.
2. Get a small DW Collector's series set in a beautiful wood.
3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Gearfest at Sweetwater and plan to closely view all of their offerings. Then I will decide.
Awesome. Feel free to continue posting in this thread. It's nice to know I too am not alone! haha.

There is a thread on the DW Facebook page picture from yesterday or the day beore about the inability to hear side by side wood comparisons and any way to play the sets, so there are others as well!

Good luck on your adventure!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM

I assume anyone following this thread is on the same mailing list as I am, but just in case you aren't, there is a new DW video comparing the four wood types. That said, there is way to much yakking about it, and not enough straight up listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I assume anyone following this thread is on the same mailing list as I am, but just in case you aren't, there is a new DW video comparing the four wood types. That said, there is way to much yakking about it, and not enough straight up listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4...ature=youtu.be
Man I truly wish I was in your shoes, hunting. What an exceptional place to be. Enjoy !
Old 06-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post

3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site..
Hawaii will be there well into your retirement and new cars are over rated...those drums will not be and definitely are not over rated. Keep us posted. (Apologies for the unsolicited "help" lol)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Thunder 42
This message has been deleted by Thunder 42.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 AM

Well boys I have booked my trip out to LA for three weeks from now. I'll be doing a factory tour and hopefully spending a little time at what I understand is a retail shop right there?

Is there a "must visit" retailer in the LA area to really see the kits? I would have to think if there is one, it would be there?

Should I ask for anything special at the factory considering I am seriously on the verge of ordering a kit? I "mentioned" it in my inquiry e-mail and didn't get any extra offers other than the standard tour.

Right now I probably have the cash to do it, but as I mentioned above I don't even want to put it together until I have $10k ready to go so I can add on whatever the hell I feel like as I am putting it together.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Well boys I have booked my trip out to LA for three weeks from now. I'll be doing a factory tour and hopefully spending a little time at what I understand is a retail shop right there?

Is there a "must visit" retailer in the LA area to really see the kits? I would have to think if there is one, it would be there?

Should I ask for anything special at the factory considering I am seriously on the verge of ordering a kit? I "mentioned" it in my inquiry e-mail and didn't get any extra offers other than the standard tour.

Right now I probably have the cash to do it, but as I mentioned above I don't even want to put it together until I have $10k ready to go so I can add on whatever the hell I feel like as I am putting it together.
That's cool. I haven't been out to that factory yet - they just had a factory day this past weekend that I couldn't get to either. From what I've seen in videos, they have a room of drum sets so you can try out whatever they have, so that should be really cool, especially if you can hear the differences between all the different woods and shell constructions.

I didn't know they took orders at the factory, but maybe they do? Since you're not too far away, you should head south from Oxnard down to Hollywood and visit the world renown Professional Drum Shop and see the historic shop that every pro drummer in town goes to. They treat everybody the same - it's a really cool hang.