DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 AM
The SunDog

Default Re: Buying a custom DW set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Great little pseudo-documentary. But for the first time I noticed Mick has his toms with the 12 before the 10. (about the 12 min mark)

What's going on with that. I'm curious. The sound of the toms still go deeper despite the size
He's always played them like that. I believe the ten is higher, just oddly placed.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbqMu7Vu0xg

This is fun too...Rubik, you may enjoy this.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I agree, but for 7000 bucks without cymbals or hardware? They can keep it! If the guy wants to piss away his money on overrated, overpriced drums let him have at it!

Not only will I piss it away, I will enjoy doing it as well! How about that!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubik1014 View Post
That's the spirit !

I would love a royal blue to transparent electric blue with a little natural showing through.

But since I will probably never do a custom order, I'll stick to showroom models and doubt one will ever show up at my local drum shop.

Such is the price of my impatience.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
That's the spirit !

I would love a royal blue to transparent electric blue with a little natural showing through.

But since I will probably never do a custom order, I'll stick to showroom models and doubt one will ever show up at my local drum shop.

Such is the price of my impatience.
I envy your perseverance, GE. :)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Great thread, very timely for me. I'm gonna be picking up a kit this summer, likely the "last" kit I'll ever buy (yeah, right) tho I won't be spending like the OP is going to.

Great information.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How about some pics. :)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Great thread, very timely for me. I'm gonna be picking up a kit this summer, likely the "last" kit I'll ever buy (yeah, right) tho I won't be spending like the OP is going to.

Great information.
Groovy! What sort of layout are you in the market for, and have you decided on a finish?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Good for you!
Don't listen to the peanut gallery!
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post

Great information.
That's awesome, dude! I feel like I am in a support group now, lol.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Im a DW fanboi.
And i have a collectors kit

Just get a standard maple with VLT toms... theyre really the best type of tom configuration any playing level players would get....

if youre not a pro with much knowledge on what impact different ply numbers and bearing edge angles have on drum sound, you really dont need to dig into the gory details which would just be a headache...

But make sure to order the dw9000 hardware and pedals to go along with it
The joy of splurging on a dw collectors for us amateurs if we have the money, is all about customizing on finishes/colour and hardware lugs... get a gold if ur into it... or black chrome.. satin chrome.. whatever

Also get a white dw head for the bass drum reso side... or black.. whatever suits u

If not maple in terms of wood type, i would give the new purpleheart wood a try... they look beautiful
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
Good for you!
Don't listen to the peanut gallery!
Roaring with laughter!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
Im a DW fanboi.
And i have a collectors kit

Just get a standard maple with VLT toms... theyre really the best type of tom configuration any playing level players would get....

if youre not a pro with much knowledge on what impact different ply numbers and bearing edge angles have on drum sound, you really dont need to dig into the gory details which would just be a headache...

But make sure to order the dw9000 hardware and pedals to go along with it
The joy of splurging on a dw collectors for us amateurs if we have the money, is all about customizing on finishes/colour and hardware lugs... get a gold if ur into it... or black chrome.. satin chrome.. whatever

Also get a white dw head for the bass drum reso side... or black.. whatever suits u

If not maple in terms of wood type, i would give the new purpleheart wood a try... they look beautiful
You are definitely reading my vibe in every way. What do you mean by VLT toms? Sorry if it's common vernacular, but I haven't seen it yet.

Edit: Spoke too quickly. I searched it and found it.

I agree I'm not eager to get into every miniscule detail like this, I just want the right color combination and look.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
I envy your perseverance, GE. :)
Nah I truly have everything I need at the moment. I feel as content now as I did 5 years ago when I started my change for the sake of change in the drum set department.

Now gear-wise it will be heads, an add-on tom here and there and a cymbal or two.

Ideally, I want to use my drum budget to build a room in my house I can actually practice in in the evening when the kids are asleep. That would be the best expense I could make with regards to my one true passion.

Now back to this thread : why do they add reinforcement rings on thick ply shells like the collectors ? As a reinforcing agent I can see why they would be useful on a 3-ply shell, but on a 6-ply they say it is for focus. Do they mean it chokes the sound a bit to control overtones or what is the deal here ? Could that not be achieved by heads and tuning ? My thinking has always been that you can kill any drum, but you can't add resonance, overtones nor ring to a dead drum. Still love dw, not bashing at all, legitimate question in my continued quest for knowledge.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I'm not quite sure what you are after or what you call custom, but if time is a concern, Musicians Friend has 35 different models of DW in stock. I realize you can hear them there, and all may not be in stock, but it's one source at least. Shane is also stocking, or carrying DW now in his Drum Shop of Portland. Good luck
Old 05-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Nah I truly have everything I need at the moment. I feel as content now as I did 5 years ago when I started my change for the sake of change in the drum set department.

Now gear-wise it will be heads, an add-on tom here and there and a cymbal or two.

Ideally, I want to use my drum budget to build a room in my house I can actually practice in in the evening when the kids are asleep. That would be the best expense I could make with regards to my one true passion.

Now back to this thread : why do they add reinforcement rings on thick ply shells like the collectors ? As a reinforcing agent I can see why they would be useful on a 3-ply shell, but on a 6-ply they say it is for focus. Do they mean it chokes the sound a bit to control overtones or what is the deal here ? Could that not be achieved by heads and tuning ? My thinking has always been that you can kill any drum, but you can't add resonance, overtones nor ring to a dead drum. Still love dw, not bashing at all, legitimate question in my continued quest for knowledge.
All complex tuning theories aside, i do wanna add to this as a personal experience.
It is that with tuning, there is still only so much u can do to control overtones. Simple as that for me

I tune drums a lot on a regular basis, and having played a dw collectors MAPLE with reinforcement rings on all toms VS another drum brand of different wood type (birch) without reinforcement rings, i can say with confidence i will take the re-ringed toms 10 days out of the week. It simply requires less attention on a regular basis to have to waste time on ur throne scratching ur head why ur toms keep ringing even tho you have tuned properly.

I dont see why anyone would have to spend 20 extra minutes on TOP of generally tuning the drum to begin with to tryin to AGAIN, fine tune the drums without re-rings (this is the case after u generally tune them with equal-ish lug tension all around the tom) when you can just match the tension on ur lugs all around generally and just go play while sounding deep and resonant without overtones on re-ringed drums?

Hard to put it in words and without having to go into the tuning bible depth, re-rings allow u to tension ur lugs equally, check and match the resonant tone u want out of them and GO

Drums without re-rings i cannot stand the sound and overtone it produces after my initial quick tuning. I have to spend so much extra time fiddling with them.

Only proof i can give is that tune both set of drums using equal technique, sit down and play each drums, tell me which drum wins sound. Re-rings, greatest drum invention

Edit: keep in mind i am comparing and playing 6 ply maple with re-rings vs 6 ply birch without re-rings

Last edited by TripleStroke; 05-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:57 PM
JohnoWorld

I had a 4 piece in this finish, black wax natural and it is sexual, especially on a whole kit.

See the badge on this, it is silver, this indicates Keller shells.

I had this same snare (keller shell) and loved it so much I bought the kit to go with it. However, the kit had gold badges which meant their own shells.

They really had quality issues back then when they started making their own and unfortunately I was a victim of that. I ordered an edge snare at the same time and it arrived with the snare beds at 45 degrees angle to where they were supposed to be. Also some of the shell joins looked like I had done the work.

These things have now been sorted and they now offer a ton more features and options than they used to.

i have to say I never noticed any difference between VLT (vertical grain) and horizontal grain.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
All complex tuning theories aside, i do wanna add to this as a personal experience.
It is that with tuning, there is still only so much u can do to control overtones. Simple as that for me

I tune drums a lot on a regular basis, and having played a dw collectors MAPLE with reinforcement rings on all toms VS another drum brand of different wood type (birch) without reinforcement rings, i can say with confidence i will take the re-ringed toms 10 days out of the week. It simply requires less attention on a regular basis to have to waste time on ur throne scratching ur head why ur toms keep ringing even tho you have tuned properly.

I dont see why anyone would have to spend 20 extra minutes on TOP of generally tuning the drum to begin with to tryin to AGAIN, fine tune the drums without re-rings (this is the case after u generally tune them with equal-ish lug tension all around the tom) when you can just match the tension on ur lugs all around generally and just go play while sounding deep and resonant without overtones on re-ringed drums?

Hard to put it in words and without having to go into the tuning bible depth, re-rings allow u to tension ur lugs equally, check and match the resonant tone u want out of them and GO

Drums without re-rings i cannot stand the sound and overtone it produces after my initial quick tuning. I have to spend so much extra time fiddling with them.

Only proof i can give is that tune both set of drums using equal technique, sit down and play each drums, tell me which drum wins sound. Re-rings, greatest drum invention

Edit: keep in mind i am comparing and playing 6 ply maple with re-rings vs 6 ply birch without re-rings
I have the complete opposite experience.

I have the new Yamaha RCs which are exactly what you mention, 6 ply birch shells without re-ring.

I recently re-headed them with UV1s top and G1 clear reso : finger-tight, 180 degrees bottom 90 top, 1 minute adjusting and they are puuuuurfect.

Never seen anything like it. Talk about plug and play.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I still envy you for having everything you need at this time, GE. I'm getting there, albeit slowly, but looking forward to when the kit is squared-away and I can truly start enjoying it in it's grandness.

The sound-room you dream of would be deluxe. As I kid I'd drive my folks out of the house a lot of days, with mom frantically scampering downstairs holding her head and telling me, son, can we shut this down for the day. Roaring with laughter!

As for DW utilizing reinforcement rings on certain thicker ply shells, I'll see if I can find a video I came across a while ago related to just this, and I'll fire it off to you.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
I had a 4 piece in this finish, black wax natural and it is sexual, especially on a whole kit.

See the badge on this, it is silver, this indicates Keller shells.

I had this same snare (keller shell) and loved it so much I bought the kit to go with it. However, the kit had gold badges which meant their own shells.

They really had quality issues back then when they started making their own and unfortunately I was a victim of that. I ordered an edge snare at the same time and it arrived with the snare beds at 45 degrees angle to where they were supposed to be. Also some of the shell joins looked like I had done the work.

These things have now been sorted and they now offer a ton more features and options than they used to.

i have to say I never noticed any difference between VLT (vertical grain) and horizontal grain.
Whoa, what a smashing drum, JW! The finish definitely awakens the soul. Appreciate your take on grain-orientation.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I have the complete opposite experience.

I have the new Yamaha RCs which are exactly what you mention, 6 ply birch shells without re-ring.

I recently re-headed them with UV1s top and G1 clear reso : finger-tight, 180 degrees bottom 90 top, 1 minute adjusting and they are puuuuurfect.

Never seen anything like it. Talk about plug and play.
I think yamahas are good for that kinda stuff
Pearl on the other hand....hmm

Last edited by TripleStroke; 05-11-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Wow dude we are so much in the same position. I have a great room for drums, and even though it is in the basement with the kids two stories above me, it's not quite far enough that they could sleep through it. I have good intentions of starting another thread on soundproofing a room while keeping it looking like a regular room. Shall we begin that conversation in this thread or start a new one?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Wow dude we are so much in the same position. I have a great room for drums, and even though it is in the basement with the kids two stories above me, it's not quite far enough that they could sleep through it. I have good intentions of starting another thread on soundproofing a room while keeping it looking like a regular room. Shall we begin that conversation in this thread or start a new one?
There are already a few past threads on this topic, and good ones as far as I can remember.

A room inside a room with a riser seems like the best option, but expensive and takes a toll in the usable square feet department.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 PM

Rubin, you should expect to get a 46% discount on the Collector's Series drums and 50% discount on hardware, based on what I paid when I negotiated my deal with Guitar Center when I ordered my kit. That ought to save you some money for that drum room.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Rubin, you should expect to get a 46% discount on the Collector's Series drums and 50% discount on hardware, based on what I paid when I negotiated my deal with Guitar Center when I ordered my kit. That ought to save you some money for that drum room.
Wow awesome. Can I expect any retailer to offer that and they still make money? I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Please post links to any music you record with the new DWs whenever you can (once you actually have them in possession). I'd love to hear how they sound, processed or not.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.
Hats off to you sir. Really looking forward to your progress and choice of drums when you get to that point. Don't leave us hangin'! :)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Wow awesome. Can I expect any retailer to offer that and they still make money? I'd like to support a small local drum shop if at all possible.
They make money on them.
Just let the local guys know what you can get them for and see if they will match. My local shop (90 miles away!) beats the big guys on price every time.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

My biggest gripe with DW is adjusting those God-awful tom mounts.
Ha! DW owns Gretsch. Know your stuff before you go telling people what to do with their money!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

My biggest gripe with DW is adjusting those God-awful tom mounts.
I don't get these comments at all. I've heard seriously crappy sounding Gretsch and Yamaha too. I'm not going to say DWs are best. Frankly I don't know. I've never had the opportunity to compare them side by side with any other. No one around me has enough of anything to ever compare one against the other and if they do all of the heads are different. If they were that crappy sounding, there wouldn't be so many pros playing them. Even if I was a pro and you gave me drums I didn't like the sound of, I'd find a different set.

Now, for the one piece I'm super familiar with. What's wrong with the adjustments of the DW tom mounts? I've had the cheaper PDP version for over a decade with no memory locks and they are not nearly as plush, and have had zero issues adjusting the toms or having them stay where I left them. Yamaha and Mapex mounts are nice too, but I don't see them doing extra tricks.

I can see not liking their looks, as we each like different things, but I have read this comment on this forum and others numerous times and can't figure out what's so god awful unadjutable about them!

Not trying to start a fight here. To each his own, but to me it's like when you get on the Ford forum and people say, don't buy a Honda, because they all have three wheels!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I don't get these comments at all....
I agree. So let's get back to the topic of Rubik and his drums. I look forward to seeing what he finally gets and him sharing his excitement of the process with us. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure whenever any of us are getting a new kit, we have a bit of that "little kid" anticipation and like to share it w/ others who appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDrew View Post
Ha! DW owns Gretsch. Know your stuff before you go telling people what to do with their money!
DW owns the distribution rights to Gretsch, but Gretsch is still making Gretsch and not DW. It's like Ford owning Jaguar, so not a good comparison.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
I agree. So let's get back to the topic of Rubik and his drums. I look forward to seeing what he finally gets and him sharing his excitement of the process with us. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure whenever any of us are getting a new kit, we have a bit of that "little kid" anticipation and like to share it w/ others who appreciate it.
Agree 100%. Nice to share in the excitement. Would love to post in the new drum day thread someday. Round lugs, small lugs, vintage lugs or otherwise. :)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Well the cheap way would be to buy new lugs and install them. 8+)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
It's like Ford owning Jaguar, so not a good comparison.
India's Tata Motors owns Jaguar (since 2008). I just like being a pedantic prick about these things...
Old 06-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
India's Tata Motors owns Jaguar (since 2008). I just like being a pedantic prick about these things...
Makes one love the Internet that much more.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

To be fair...I don't think Grunt ever stated the "current owner" of Jag ;) Ford did own Jag for 10 years prior to selling to the current owner, Tata. I know, details shmeetails :)

Regardless, Grunt's post is valid. Gretsch are not DW's. lol
Old 06-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

You have a great income, use it. Make memories: go to the factory, meet the owners , workers, use their input , look at all the different stuff and make your choice. Take out the crew to lunch.
You'll remember that for the rest of your life !!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
You have a great income, use it. Make memories: go to the factory, meet the owners , workers, use their input , look at all the different stuff and make your choice. Take out the crew to lunch.
You'll remember that for the rest of your life !!
+1

...and be sure to post a bunch a pics when the kit arrives!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post

Now, for the one piece I'm super familiar with. What's wrong with the adjustments of the DW tom mounts? I've had the cheaper PDP version for over a decade with no memory locks and they are not nearly as plush, and have had zero issues adjusting the toms or having them stay where I left them. Yamaha and Mapex mounts are nice too, but I don't see them doing extra tricks.
DW tom mounting requires way too much time to adjust properly. If I remember correctly, the PDP system worked a bit better. Yamaha system can be adjusted very simply and easily. You just have to compare them and work with them to see the difference. It's night and day.